News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Pterosaur Toys [Completed]

Started by Gwangi, March 03, 2016, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think are the Top Ten Pterosaur toys and figurines?

Tupuxuara-Papo
27 (37%)
Tapejara- Hasbro "Jurassic Park 3"
2 (2.7%)
Tapejara- Wild Safari
25 (34.2%)
Pterodaustro- Tedco
2 (2.7%)
Dsungaripterus- Kaiyodo UHA
15 (20.5%)
Guidraco- CollectA
27 (37%)
Hatzegopteryx- CollectA
21 (28.8%)
Ornithocheirus- CollectA
4 (5.5%)
Ornithocheirus- Toyway
7 (9.6%)
Pterodactylus- Starlux
1 (1.4%)
Pterodactylus- Tyco
3 (4.1%)
"Pterosaur"- Wild Safari
12 (16.4%)
Anurognathus- "Primeval"
2 (2.7%)
Tapejara- Dinotales/DinoMania
8 (11%)
Rhamphorhynchus- Wild Safari
24 (32.9%)
Rhamphorhynchus- Starlux
0 (0%)
Rhamphorhyncus- Linde
1 (1.4%)
Rhamphorhyncus-Tyco
1 (1.4%)
Dimorphodon- Wild Safari
20 (27.4%)
Dimorphodon- Tedco
0 (0%)
Dimorphodon- Hasbro "Jurassic World"
0 (0%)
Pteranodon- Favorite Vinyl
2 (2.7%)
Pteranodon- Favorite Soft model old
4 (5.5%)
Pteranodon- Favorite Soft model new
8 (11%)
Pteranodon sternbergi - Bullyland resting
14 (19.2%)
Pteranodon sternbergi - Bullyland flying
3 (4.1%)
Pteranodon- Kenner "Jurassic Park"
3 (4.1%)
Pteranodon- Kenner "The Lost World: Jurassic Park"
1 (1.4%)
Pteranodon- Hasbro "Jurassic Park 3"
3 (4.1%)
Pteranodon- Invicta
9 (12.3%)
Pteranodon- Carnegie Collection
1 (1.4%)
Pteranodon- Papo
4 (5.5%)
Pteranodon- Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 4
9 (12.3%)
Pteranodon- Kaiyodo "JP3"
4 (5.5%)
Pteranodon longiceps- Bullyland
2 (2.7%)
Pteranodon- Tyco
4 (5.5%)
Pteranodon- Starlux
0 (0%)
Pteranodon- Furata
1 (1.4%)
Pteranodon - Kaiyodo Capsule Q Museum
11 (15.1%)
Pteranodon- Schleich Replicasaurus
1 (1.4%)
Pteranodon- Sega Dinosaur King
0 (0%)
Pteranodon with prey- Bandai
1 (1.4%)
Pteranodon- Marx
3 (4.1%)
Pteranodon- Royal Ontario Museum (ROM)
1 (1.4%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Colorata (Museum Exclusive Model)
10 (13.7%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Carnegie Collection
3 (4.1%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Schleich (old)
5 (6.8%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Schleich (new)
5 (6.8%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Kaiyodo Dinotales
9 (12.3%)
Quetzalcoatlus- CollectA
27 (37%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Kabaya
0 (0%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Tyco
2 (2.7%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Kenner "Jurassic Park"
3 (4.1%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Colorata
9 (12.3%)
Quetzalcoatlus- "Walking With Dinosaurs" Blind Bag toy
6 (8.2%)
Anhanguera- Kaiyodo Dinotales
11 (15.1%)
Anhanguera- Schleich (old)
6 (8.2%)
Anhanguera- Schleich (new)
7 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Gwangi

This thread is back from the dead and it's time to tackle this poll the proper way. This will no doubt be a daunting poll as the list of pterosaur toys in general is quite long. That said, I think we know what ones are among the best. Obviously I'm not going to put every toy ever on here so if there is something missing, let me know but keep in mind we're creating a short list here. If you're not going to vote for it, don't suggest it. C:-)

Tupuxuara-Papo
Tapejara- Hasbro "Jurassic Park 3"
Tapejara- Wild Safari
Pterodaustro- Tedco
Dsungaripterus- Kaiyodo UHA
Guidraco- CollectA
Hatzegopteryx- CollectA
Ornithocheirus- CollectA
Ornithocheirus- Toyway
Pterodactylus- Starlux
Pterodactylus- Tyco
"Pterosaur"- Wild Safari
Anurognathus- "Primeval"
Tapejara- Dinotales/DinoMania

Rhamphorhynchus- Wild Safari
Rhamphorhynchus- Starlux
Rhamphorhyncus- Linde
Rhamphorhyncus-Tyco

Dimorphodon- Wild Safari
Dimorphodon- Tedco
Dimorphodon- Hasbro "Jurassic World"

Pteranodon- Favorite Vinyl
Pteranodon- Favorite Soft model old
Pteranodon- Favorite Soft model new
Pteranodon sternbergi - Bullyland resting
Pteranodon sternbergi - Bullyland flying
Pteranodon- Kenner "Jurassic Park"
Pteranodon- Kenner "The Lost World: Jurassic Park"
Pteranodon- Hasbro "Jurassic Park 3"
Pteranodon- Invicta
Pteranodon- Carnegie Collection
Pteranodon- Papo
Pteranodon- Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 4
Pteranodon- Kaiyodo "JP3"
Pteranodon longiceps- Bullyland
Pteranodon- Tyco
Pteranodon- Starlux
Pteranodon- Furata
Pteranodon - Kaiyodo Capsule Q Museum
Pteranodon- Schleich Replicasaurus
Pteranodon- Sega Dinosaur King
Pteranodon with prey- Bandai
Pteranodon- Marx
Pteranodon- Royal Ontario Museum (ROM)

Quetzalcoatlus- Colorata (Museum Exclusive Model)
Quetzalcoatlus- Carnegie Collection
Quetzalcoatlus- Schleich (old)
Quetzalcoatlus- Schleich (new)
Quetzalcoatlus- Kaiyodo Dinotales
Quetzalcoatlus- CollectA
Quetzalcoatlus- Kabaya
Quetzalcoatlus- Tyco
Quetzalcoatlus- Kenner "Jurassic Park"
Quetzalcoatlus- Colorata
Quetzalcoatlus- "Walking With Dinosaurs" Blind Bag toy

Anhanguera- Kaiyodo Dinotales
Anhanguera- Schleich (old)
Anhanguera- Schleich (new)

Lanthanotus

Due to the materials it's produced from - making it suitable as a toy, even if it isn't mentioned as - I'd like to see the Rebor Dimorphodon added to the list. After all, the Kaiyodo ones would serve way bad as toys and most likely also aren't ment as. Just my thought.

Also, I miss the WWD Quetzalcoatlus from the blind bags which probably is widely distributed as a toy.

Out of this list however I anyway only own two models (Carnegie and Tyco) and only these served me as toys when I was a kid, so to make my vote authentic I'd have to choose these two :D

Patrx

What about: Pteranodon - Kaiyodo Capsule Q Museum?

Gwangi

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 03, 2016, 07:56:53 PM
Due to the materials it's produced from - making it suitable as a toy, even if it isn't mentioned as - I'd like to see the Rebor Dimorphodon added to the list. After all, the Kaiyodo ones would serve way bad as toys and most likely also aren't ment as. Just my thought.

Also, I miss the WWD Quetzalcoatlus from the blind bags which probably is widely distributed as a toy.

Out of this list however I anyway only own two models (Carnegie and Tyco) and only these served me as toys when I was a kid, so to make my vote authentic I'd have to choose these two :D

For the sake of consistency I won't be adding the Rebor Dimorhodon models. We had the same discussion when we ran the T. rex poll (which I know you were not here for) and decided that it did not qualify as a toy. Rebor when they were active here also repeatedly wanted to make it clear that their products were not toys (even though Rebor constantly compared them to different toy companies). Given the low price point of the Kaiyodo figurines, their popularity here, and their devotion to producing accurate and obscure genera, I don't feel like they should be left out. True, they are not toys, but they are collectible and affordable. I did add your Quetzalcoatlus though.

Patrx, I added your Kaiyodo Pteranodon. Good call on that one.

Halichoeres

The Schleich Replicasaurus Pteranodon longiceps is really pretty nice. It's one of only a couple Pteranodon figures I own. I also would include the Anurognathus trio from Primeval.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoLord

Don't forget the Dinotales/DinoMania Tupandactylus (Tapejara imperator).

Sim

You're doing a great job on this, Gwangi!  Two other things I noticed...  The first thing is Quetzalcoatlus- Colorata is listed twice in the first post.

The second thing is there's inconsistency on the name used for two species of pterosaur figures.  Currently in the list there's Tapejara- Hasbro "Jurassic Park 3", Tapejara- Wild Safari and Tupandactylus- Dinotales/DinoMania.  All three of these figures are labelled "Tapejara", but it seems to me they all represent the same species ("Tapejara" imperator) that was reclassified as a species of Tupandactylus.  So, it seems to me it would be best to go with one name for all three figures?  It looks like for the JP3 "Tapejara", they just slightly modified a Pteranodon head(!), but out of the species that have been classified in Tapejara it looks most like Tupandactylus imperator to me..

There's currently quotation marks around Pteranodon for the Bullyland P. sternbergi figures.  I know at least the old Favorite soft model is labelled Pteranodon sternbergi.  The quotation marks suggest Pteranodon is not the correct name for the species, but actually there doesn't seem to be a consensus about that.  Mark Witton disagrees with the splitting of Pteranodon into Geosternbergia and Dawndraco, and considers sternbergi a species of Pteranodon, for example.  After having looked over the for and against the splitting of Pteranodon, I agree with Mark Witton.  Since "Pteranodon sternbergi" is still a valid name, and the figures are labelled "Pteranodon" or "Pteranodon sternbergi", I'd like to suggest not putting quotation marks around Pteranodon for the figures that represent the sternbergi species.

Gwangi

Thanks for the information and the support Sim. I know next to nothing about pterosaurs so this is helpful. I really want to list the toys/figurines as they're advertised though. So even if a name is wrong I think it will less confusing for collectors if it's written down as what the company named it, even if that name is wrong. I don't know if I have those toys correctly labeled though as what they're advertised as. Can anyone help me on that? Also if someone suggests something please use the name it was given by the company. If someone wants to search for a particular toy they're going to have better luck using that name.

suspsy

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

DinoLord

Quote from: Gwangi on March 04, 2016, 07:52:42 PMI really want to list the toys/figurines as they're advertised though. So even if a name is wrong I think it will less confusing for collectors if it's written down as what the company named it, even if that name is wrong.

I believe the Dinotales Tupandactylus was indeed advertised as Tapejara imperator.

Sim

Quote from: DinoLord on March 04, 2016, 08:48:54 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on March 04, 2016, 07:52:42 PMI really want to list the toys/figurines as they're advertised though. So even if a name is wrong I think it will less confusing for collectors if it's written down as what the company named it, even if that name is wrong.

I believe the Dinotales Tupandactylus was indeed advertised as Tapejara imperator.

Does the photo here confirm this?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chocolasaurs-Dinotales-part3-TAPEJARA-IMPERATOR-69-kaiyodo-/111704643631  The Wild Safari and Jurassic Park 3 ones are advertised as Tapejara, so only the Dinotales one would need to be changed on the list.  As for P. sternbergi, a photo of one of the Bullyland Pteranodon sternbergi that shows it was advertised with that name can be seen here: http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Bullyland_61453_Pteranodon_sternbergi_with_Fish

Gwangi

Quote from: Sim on March 04, 2016, 11:58:23 PM
Quote from: DinoLord on March 04, 2016, 08:48:54 PM

Does the photo here confirm this?: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chocolasaurs-Dinotales-part3-TAPEJARA-IMPERATOR-69-kaiyodo-/111704643631  The Wild Safari and Jurassic Park 3 ones are advertised as Tapejara, so only the Dinotales one would need to be changed on the list.  As for P. sternbergi, a photo of one of the Bullyland Pteranodon sternbergi that shows it was advertised with that name can be seen here: http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Bullyland_61453_Pteranodon_sternbergi_with_Fish

Alright, changed it. Also removed the quotations around the Bullyland models.

Anymore suggestions? If I don't get anymore within a week I'm posting it as is.

Sim

There's still two Quetzalcoatlus by Colorata roosting in different places in the first post :))

deanm

There are two Colorata Quetz's because there are two figures.  :)

Large brown coloured ones - there is a pair of them in photo (from a Japanese Pterosaur exposition).

The white one in the back upper left corner

And now side by side - from Phstsaurischian's collection

stargatedalek

They made two, but one should probably be labelled as being part of the boxed set.

*edit*
Ninja'd.

deanm

For a decent overview of pterosaur toys - my thread has most of them.

there are a few that I am still after but a pretty well round pterosaur collection - they are my favourites.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3427.0

Sim

I thought there might've been more than one Colorata Quetzalcoatlus, but I wasn't sure.  I was trying to point out that "Quetzalcoatlus- Colorata " is listed twice in the first post without anything else which would suggest they represent different figures.

Gwangi

I knew there were two Colorata Quetz figurines, I just didn't know what the name of the exhibit exclusive one was.

deanm

Quote from: Sim on March 05, 2016, 01:03:48 AM
I thought there might've been more than one Colorata Quetzalcoatlus, but I wasn't sure.  I was trying to point out that "Quetzalcoatlus- Colorata " is listed twice in the first post without anything else which would suggest they represent different figures.

No worries - I was not giving you any grief, I had hoped my smiley face emoticon would show that.

Anyways my pterosaur collection photos are a bit out of date now anyways.  I have my stuffed pterosaurs up and my Good Dinosaur pterosaurs out also.  Plus the others from 2015.

Gwangi

Quote from: deanm on March 05, 2016, 12:43:13 AM
For a decent overview of pterosaur toys - my thread has most of them.

there are a few that I am still after but a pretty well round pterosaur collection - they are my favourites.

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3427.0

I was hoping you would chime in but since they aren't labeled I'm afraid I don't know what is what in your collection. Do you see anything missing on my list that shouldn't be left out?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.