News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 Pterosaur Toys [Completed]

Started by Gwangi, March 03, 2016, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think are the Top Ten Pterosaur toys and figurines?

Tupuxuara-Papo
27 (37%)
Tapejara- Hasbro "Jurassic Park 3"
2 (2.7%)
Tapejara- Wild Safari
25 (34.2%)
Pterodaustro- Tedco
2 (2.7%)
Dsungaripterus- Kaiyodo UHA
15 (20.5%)
Guidraco- CollectA
27 (37%)
Hatzegopteryx- CollectA
21 (28.8%)
Ornithocheirus- CollectA
4 (5.5%)
Ornithocheirus- Toyway
7 (9.6%)
Pterodactylus- Starlux
1 (1.4%)
Pterodactylus- Tyco
3 (4.1%)
"Pterosaur"- Wild Safari
12 (16.4%)
Anurognathus- "Primeval"
2 (2.7%)
Tapejara- Dinotales/DinoMania
8 (11%)
Rhamphorhynchus- Wild Safari
24 (32.9%)
Rhamphorhynchus- Starlux
0 (0%)
Rhamphorhyncus- Linde
1 (1.4%)
Rhamphorhyncus-Tyco
1 (1.4%)
Dimorphodon- Wild Safari
20 (27.4%)
Dimorphodon- Tedco
0 (0%)
Dimorphodon- Hasbro "Jurassic World"
0 (0%)
Pteranodon- Favorite Vinyl
2 (2.7%)
Pteranodon- Favorite Soft model old
4 (5.5%)
Pteranodon- Favorite Soft model new
8 (11%)
Pteranodon sternbergi - Bullyland resting
14 (19.2%)
Pteranodon sternbergi - Bullyland flying
3 (4.1%)
Pteranodon- Kenner "Jurassic Park"
3 (4.1%)
Pteranodon- Kenner "The Lost World: Jurassic Park"
1 (1.4%)
Pteranodon- Hasbro "Jurassic Park 3"
3 (4.1%)
Pteranodon- Invicta
9 (12.3%)
Pteranodon- Carnegie Collection
1 (1.4%)
Pteranodon- Papo
4 (5.5%)
Pteranodon- Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 4
9 (12.3%)
Pteranodon- Kaiyodo "JP3"
4 (5.5%)
Pteranodon longiceps- Bullyland
2 (2.7%)
Pteranodon- Tyco
4 (5.5%)
Pteranodon- Starlux
0 (0%)
Pteranodon- Furata
1 (1.4%)
Pteranodon - Kaiyodo Capsule Q Museum
11 (15.1%)
Pteranodon- Schleich Replicasaurus
1 (1.4%)
Pteranodon- Sega Dinosaur King
0 (0%)
Pteranodon with prey- Bandai
1 (1.4%)
Pteranodon- Marx
3 (4.1%)
Pteranodon- Royal Ontario Museum (ROM)
1 (1.4%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Colorata (Museum Exclusive Model)
10 (13.7%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Carnegie Collection
3 (4.1%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Schleich (old)
5 (6.8%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Schleich (new)
5 (6.8%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Kaiyodo Dinotales
9 (12.3%)
Quetzalcoatlus- CollectA
27 (37%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Kabaya
0 (0%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Tyco
2 (2.7%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Kenner "Jurassic Park"
3 (4.1%)
Quetzalcoatlus- Colorata
9 (12.3%)
Quetzalcoatlus- "Walking With Dinosaurs" Blind Bag toy
6 (8.2%)
Anhanguera- Kaiyodo Dinotales
11 (15.1%)
Anhanguera- Schleich (old)
6 (8.2%)
Anhanguera- Schleich (new)
7 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 73

postsaurischian

Quote from: Gwangi on March 05, 2016, 02:21:23 AM
I knew there were two Colorata Quetz figurines, I just didn't know what the name of the exhibit exclusive one was.

You can call it "museum model Quetzalcoatlus" ;)

I'm missing the Colorata Pteranodon ingens and Dsungaripterus weii which come from the "Dino Cretaceous Vol. 1" box.
The Quetzalcoatlus from this box is named Quetzalcoatlus northropi.

CityRaptor

It's invisible! ;D

Bandai also made a Pteranodon or two. I have the one in the series where every animal is eating some other animal.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Gwangi on March 03, 2016, 08:17:45 PM

For the sake of consistency I won't be adding the Rebor Dimorhodon models. We had the same discussion when we ran the T. rex poll (which I know you were not here for) and decided that it did not qualify as a toy. Rebor when they were active here also repeatedly wanted to make it clear that their products were not toys (even though Rebor constantly compared them to different toy companies). Given the low price point of the Kaiyodo figurines, their popularity here, and their devotion to producing accurate and obscure genera, I don't feel like they should be left out. True, they are not toys, but they are collectible and affordable.

While I do not like the decision, I'm totally understand and accept it.

Well, I got some clear votes then, though it's nice to see that there are quite a few very fine models or pterosaurs, unfortunatly most seem to be made by Asian companies from "not so much toy-like" materials.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 05, 2016, 12:35:14 PM

For the sake of consistency I won't be adding the Rebor Dimorhodon models. We had the same discussion when we ran the T. rex poll (which I know you were not here for) and decided that it did not qualify as a toy. Rebor when they were active here also repeatedly wanted to make it clear that their products were not toys (even though Rebor constantly compared them to different toy companies). Given the low price point of the Kaiyodo figurines, their popularity here, and their devotion to producing accurate and obscure genera, I don't feel like they should be left out. True, they are not toys, but they are collectible and affordable.

Well, I got some clear votes then, though it's nice to see that there are quite a few very fine models or pterosaurs, unfortunatly most seem to be made by Asian companies from "not so much toy-like" materials.

It's the same reason why Sideshow statues aren't on the list.  :)

postsaurischian

Concavenator

Al we know is that the best pterosaur figure is CollectA's Guidraco  ;D

Sim

Quote from: deanm on March 05, 2016, 03:25:13 AM
No worries - I was not giving you any grief, I had hoped my smiley face emoticon would show that.

I thought you most likely weren't, although I wasn't sure, as you used a smiley face in your recent post in the Rebor general discussion thread! :))  Thanks for clarifying. :)  And thanks for the photos of the two Quetzalcoatlus too!

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 05, 2016, 12:35:14 PM

In case it's helpful, here's a link to Dr Admin's post in the Top 10 Tyrannosaurus Toys thread where he commented on the inclusion of Rebor and Kaiyodo.  It's Reply #129 here.  I agree with Dr Admin about this.  Also, while Rebor was active on this forum, they said their competitor is Sideshow.

Gwangi

Added the Sega Dinosaur King Pteranodon.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Sim on March 05, 2016, 03:21:51 PM
Also, while Rebor was active on this forum, they said their competitor is Sideshow.

... which still is ridiculous. They're slightly better produced Papo figures (ergo: Toys [but with resin bases]).

Looking at my REBOR Tyrannosaurus next to my Krentz maquette model makes me wonder how on earth they came up  with the idea of being comparable with Sideshow ;D.
:-X (no more off topic posts, I promise)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You should add the Favorite vinyl model Pteranodon to the list.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 05, 2016, 03:41:51 PM
Quote from: Sim on March 05, 2016, 03:21:51 PM
Also, while Rebor was active on this forum, they said their competitor is Sideshow.

... which still is ridiculous. They're slightly better produced Papo figures (ergo: Toys [but with resin bases]).

Don't tell them that or you may receive some choice words. ;)

-----

I think we are nearly ready for the poll now 8) !

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Libraraptor

Linde Rhamphorhynchus and Invicta Pteranodon. Of course.  :))

deanm

Some other figures that are not on the list - but based on the would you vote for them if they were there criteria, i would have to say most members would not vote for them.

The classic Marx Pteranodon & knock-off MPC Pteranodon figures
ROM Pteranodon figure

Having said the above - it was the Marx Pteranodon figure that set me on the road to my interest in Pterosaurs   - so I would vote for it.

Gwangi

Quote from: Libraraptor on March 05, 2016, 08:20:39 PM
Linde Rhamphorhynchus and Invicta Pteranodon. Of course.  :))

Already on the list.  ;)

Dean, I will add your suggestions.

Seems like this list is nearly complete.  ^-^

stargatedalek

Dino Riders Pteranodon, Quetzalcoatlus, Pterodactylus, and Rhamphorhynchus.

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on March 06, 2016, 12:01:10 AM

First two on the list already. Adding the others.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Gwangi on March 06, 2016, 01:29:07 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on March 06, 2016, 12:01:10 AM

First two on the list already. Adding the others.

You should clarify the "classification" of two of these for the list, as the Dinoriders Pterodactylus was re-released by Tyco for the Smithsonian line as Quetzalcoatlus, while the Dinoriders Quetzalcoatlus was re-released without it's headcrest for the Smithsonian line as Pterodactylus (click!).

Gwangi

Alright, this thread has sat here long enough. I'll open the poll up shortly.

tanystropheus

Why no mention of the REBOR dimorphodon set? I don't think there is anything better in the market. Unless we are back to regarding them as statues.

Gwangi

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 16, 2016, 03:56:06 AM
Why no mention of the REBOR dimorphodon set? I don't think there is anything better in the market. Unless we are back to regarding them as statues.

They're statues. I explained it on the first page and Adam agrees if you scroll up this page a bit.  ;)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.