News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Reparing dinos

Started by biniou24, July 26, 2012, 07:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biniou24

You mean, with a piece of metal ?
Glad to hear you have saved your toy. This one survived 2012's apocalypse, it would have been a shame if it had been destoyed by a "stiff neck". ^^

Wade Wilson

Quote from: biniou24 on February 19, 2013, 09:20:36 PM
Quote from: Wade Wilson on February 13, 2013, 12:42:34 AM
Hi guys, I'm completely new to this forum, but I'm really glad it exists. I just recently took all my smallish Dino-Riders (Pachy, Styraco, Dimetrodon, etc) out of a huge box I had in our loft. What I noticed is that a lot of them have become sticky over time - the dinosaurs on their legs (bodies and armor are fine) and the Rulons and Valorians practically all over. Looking at them it's not noticeable, but one you touch them...
I don't know if humidity caused it, and it was definitely not a rubber band that perished since those had disintegrated long before I packed everything into the box, but does anyone have some advice on how to de-sticky my sticky Dino-Riders?
Hi, I already had this problem with other toys (MASK, very similar).
Unfortunately, I didn't found a way to fix it.
Plastic (and rubber) is very fragile and past 20 years, sometime it is melting.
Think about some iron that is rusting, or some wood that is moulding: you can't do anything against that.

The only thing you can do is try to clean your toy with some wash liquid.

Note: don't use acetone, it will be worse.
Bummer about that. I'm just glad my Bronto and Rex didn't suffer the same fate. I would have been devastated. Thanks for the reply.  Much appreciated. :)

Rob F

Hi All
I am trying to repair the walking mechanism of a Dinorider tricerotops.
The bosses of the back legs have cracked. The back legs now can move or not move independently of the mechanism and the front legs.
I plan to glue them together to their bosses.
Before I do that I need to know how to set them relative to the front legs.
Can someone please take sequential photographs of the tricerotops walking and email them to.
[email protected]
Thanks
Rob F

Angel-Oh-No

Quote from: biniou24 on February 19, 2013, 09:20:36 PM
Quote from: Wade Wilson on February 13, 2013, 12:42:34 AM
Hi guys, I'm completely new to this forum, but I'm really glad it exists. I just recently took all my smallish Dino-Riders (Pachy, Styraco, Dimetrodon, etc) out of a huge box I had in our loft. What I noticed is that a lot of them have become sticky over time - the dinosaurs on their legs (bodies and armor are fine) and the Rulons and Valorians practically all over. Looking at them it's not noticeable, but one you touch them...
I don't know if humidity caused it, and it was definitely not a rubber band that perished since those had disintegrated long before I packed everything into the box, but does anyone have some advice on how to de-sticky my sticky Dino-Riders?
Hi, I already had this problem with other toys (MASK, very similar).
Unfortunately, I didn't found a way to fix it.
Plastic (and rubber) is very fragile and past 20 years, sometime it is melting.
Think about some iron that is rusting, or some wood that is moulding: you can't do anything against that.

The only thing you can do is try to clean your toy with some wash liquid.

Note: don't use acetone, it will be worse.

Hey guys,

this problem is quite common, but there is indeed a fix for that.

The Dino-Riders Toys consist mostly of to types of plastiv. One is the hard and brittle (mostly used for bodys). The other one is more elastic and used mostly for legs (Monoclonius, Ankylosauru) but also for full bodies (small Pterodactyl).

The elastic one is the one that kinda evaporates this sticky coating over time. This seems to be a normal chemical process.

As Wade Wilson said, aceton is a bad idea, because it will attack the plastic itself.

So use rubbing alcohol / isopropanol instead.

This little chemical will NOT attack the plastic, but only remove the coating. The paint on the dino will usually not be harmed, as they used some good old alcohol proove paint  ;) Be carefull at Torosaurus horns, this paint can be rubbed off becaus the sticky coating evaporates underneath the actual paint and "lifts" it up. But those horns, are also mostly no problem to the sticky coating phenomenon. Also other very elastic parts can be a problem. The more elastic, the worse the paint.

Isopropanol is also great to remove nicotine if you buy a smelly dino from eBay that came from a smokers home.

BTW: If you dont have isopropanol, every highly concentrated alcohol does the job. Everything above 40% should do just fine ;)

ameise

hello, i'm new to the forum, but i'm a huge dino riders fan.
i got a question . .actually about the dino riders, not realy about the dinosaurs it self.
i'd like to know, how the figures are build. I mean, how the joints and conecitions of the knees, the legs to the body and the arms to the body, as well as the head to the body is fixed, but still moveable. Can someone please post pictures of broken figures - so i can see the open joints. Or may someone got drawings or whatever.

I'd like to do my own toys maybe on day, by printing them with a 3D-printer - but i'm looking for a nice way of connection moveable parts of the body.

thanks

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.