News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Paleo Art Stumbled Upon The Internet

Started by sauroid, May 20, 2016, 01:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

i think it is about time that we have a thread about great paleo art we come across the internet and post them here. please state the genus (and species if the info is available) and credit the artists who created the illustration or sculpture. we are also open to discuss the shortcomings/merits of a certain work and whether it is highly accurate or flawed in certain ways.

Spiclypeus shipporum by Mike Skrepnick

Spiclypeus shipporum by Sergey Krasovskiy

Machairoceratops by Mark Witton
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Nanuqsaurus

Great idea for a thread! :)
Found this one by chance on Tumblr. It's one of the best pieces of PaleoArt I've seen. I love it when prehistoric animals are portrayed with the behavior and looks of modern animals, it makes them so much more real. Sometimes you see images of dinosaurs, and they just look like fantasy monsters in a fantasy world, but they were just animals doing normal animal things. The one below shows three pliosaurs, probably Liopleurodon or Pliosaurus, during sunset. One is being groomed by small pterosaurs, while two in the background are ''dancing'' like humpback whales do.

''Dancing Pliosaurs'' (genus not stated) by R. Nicholls.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

I am well versed in paleoartists and keep up with many of them. The particular style, I like the most is Fred Wierum and StygimolochSpinifer

Dakotaraptor and Acheroraptor.
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

sauroid

Tarbosaurus bataar and Alioramus remotus fighting over a carcass by Raph Lomotan

Sue, the fallen Tyrant by Raph Lomotan
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Nanuqsaurus

Acrocanthosaurus atokensis by Apsaravis on DeviantArt. Love the colors and protofeathers on this one!

Buitreraptor gonzalezorum by DELIRIO88 on DeviantArt.

Buitreraptor gonzalezorum by Julio Lacerda.

Female Pteranodon and Hesperornis by Julio Lacerda.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I like the idea of a pteranodon diving like that, but is it possible for a pterosaur to have taken off from the water?
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 21, 2016, 02:13:10 PM
I like the idea of a pteranodon diving like that, but is it possible for a pterosaur to have taken off from the water?

Well, there are some papers on that subject, but I'm not sure what the current theories about pterosaur movement in water are. Anyway, it sure looks cool! :)

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on May 21, 2016, 02:13:10 PM

There are a few studies that i know have looked into this, but it definitely depends on the species and how pelagic the lifestyle was, along with forelimb mechanics. I seem to remember multiple blog posts by Mark Witton on the subject, and I remember that ornithocheirids seemed to have been able to, I don't know if Pteranodon was mentioned at all however. I'd imagine because of it's lifestyle it would have been a good adaptation to have.

Thanks,

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Nanuqsaurus

''Brushfire'' by Abiogenesis on DeviantArt. Quetzalcoatlus and Troodon.

''Resting Tyrannosaurus Rex'' by FredTheDinosaurman on DevianrtArt. Tyrannosaurus rex.

''Arctic Tyrant'' by Nathan Rogers on DeviantArt. Nanuqsaurus hoglundi (you could've guessed it :P).

''Diabloceratops'' by Nathan Rogers. Diabloceratops eatoni.

btb300

Has anybody heard about Jeff Wells?
http://www.theday.com/article/20160522/NWS01/160529767
I have just come across this article on the internet.
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: btb300 on May 23, 2016, 12:21:32 PM

Wow, love the homemade look of his dinosaurs. They have such a whimsical feel, like they stepped out of a children's story book.

sauroid

Toyotamaphimeia, Diplocaulus, Meiolania and Mosasaurus sculptures by Goro Furuta

Mosasaurus sculpture by Cheung Chung Tat

tyrantqueen

That mosasaurus is absolutely incredible :O

sauroid

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 24, 2016, 03:55:13 PM
That mosasaurus is absolutely incredible :O
which one TQ? the two Mosas by the two artists are both brilliant.  :o

tyrantqueen

The last one (tiger striped) :) Although the other one is beautiful too.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: btb300 on May 23, 2016, 12:21:32 PM

That Dimetrodon family is an awesome idea :)

Viergacht

Nanuqsaurus

''The Moving Mountains'' - Julio Lacerda
Pinacosaurus grangeri and Kol ghuva

''Mesozoic moose'' - Hyrotrioskjan on DeviantArt
Unnamed therizinosaur

''Rudolph the Red-Nosed Hadrosaur'' - Eurwentala on DeviantArt
Ugrunaaluk kuukpikensis

Viergacht

Stock art by LakeSpirit3. Is it scientifically accurate? Nope. Is it absolutely freaking adorable and am I jealous of those little kids? Hell yes!

sauroid

The march of so many dinosaur genera, from the smallest to the biggest.
(i guess this qualifies as paleo art)

https://www.facebook.com/Paleontologjia.Shqip/videos/1002615243163401/

(sorry facebook resisters, this is viewable only on fb)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.