News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Paleo Art Stumbled Upon The Internet

Started by sauroid, May 20, 2016, 01:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neosodon

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 28, 2017, 09:12:07 PM
What an unusual, beautiful picture! It´s really possible Troodon looked like this!
Unlikely, the artist made it look to much like an owl. Troodon would of had a longer and skinnier head and neck and it didn't have wings.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

jooooo

Quote from: Neosodon on January 28, 2017, 11:24:47 PM
Quote from: Libraraptor on January 28, 2017, 09:12:07 PM
What an unusual, beautiful picture! It´s really possible Troodon looked like this!
Unlikely, the artist made it look to much like an owl. Troodon would of had a longer and skinnier head and neck and it didn't have wings.
Troodontids most likely had wings, both dromaeosaurs and basal birds have been found with wings and it's highly likely it did have wings. And at least some troodontids has asymmetrical ears like owls do, which is most likely what this picture is based on, it's mostly speculative though.

Reptilia

Don't know the name of the author but I find this Dimorphodon pretty nice and naturalistic, though a little bit stylized:

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

Oh, it's a Preondactylus actually, not a Dimorphodon. In fact the snout is quite different.

sauroid

i guess it's time to resurrect this thread
this is one of my most favorite Styracosaurus images but i forgot who made it
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Reptilia

There's a Collecta Torosaurus look-alike in the background.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

sauroid

Nanuqsaurus

Ah, we're doing mammals then?

''Woolly rhino'' by Renum63 on DeviantArt.

Reptilia

For once a Basilosaurus that's not a snake but has a proper cetacean look. Interesting Entelodon too.

sauroid

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

sauroid

DinoToyForum

sauroid

is it a lavishly illustrated book? i'd like to have one someday. thanks Dr. Admin.

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Interesting that the cover of such a recent and seemingly well researched book would include an illustration of the invalid genus "Afrochoerus". As far as I know Afrochoerus was a chimera of Stegotetrabelodon tusks and more typical Metridiochoerus remains. Does anyone with the book know if this is discussed at all? For reference i'm talking about the creature to the left of the Bison latifrons.
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on January 19, 2018, 08:27:21 PM
Interesting that the cover of such a recent and seemingly well researched book would include an illustration of the invalid genus "Afrochoerus". As far as I know Afrochoerus was a chimera of Stegotetrabelodon tusks and more typical Metridiochoerus remains. Does anyone with the book know if this is discussed at all? For reference i'm talking about the creature to the left of the Bison latifrons.

In the caption it is named Metridiochoerus. I had a quick flick through the section and there doesn't seem to be any discussion of "Afrochoerus". The name just appears in a table comparing old and new taxonomies, but otherwise, no mention.

It is moderately well illustrated but more of the technical kind than restorations (and no colour). It's a very academic volume - not light reading.

Reptilia

That book looks pretty cool if the cover image is indicative of the overall quality of the illustrations, but it's damn pricey!

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 19, 2018, 08:46:00 PM
Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on January 19, 2018, 08:27:21 PM

In the caption it is named Metridiochoerus. I had a quick flick through the section and there doesn't seem to be any discussion of "Afrochoerus". The name just appears in a table comparing old and new taxonomies, but otherwise, no mention.

It is moderately well illustrated but more of the technical kind than restorations (and no colour). It's a very academic volume - not light reading.

Interesting that the illustration still depicts it in with the erroneous tusk anatomy and with no rationale mentioned in the book. You would think an animal with that sort of prominence on the cover would be discussed more. Thanks for the reply dinotoyforum.
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.