News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Loon's Art: Summer Camp Begins!

Started by Loon, October 07, 2019, 11:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

That is quite an unique and appealing style you crafted there. It reminds me somewhat of medieval and early modern Japanese art, as well as many other things.

Halichoeres

If pterosaurs and mosasaurs are incompatible with February's theme, then February's theme stinks.

The artwork looks great, though.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Thanks for the comments everyone. I haven't checked this thread in a while, so I didn't even know anyone had replied. But, it's all very appreciated.

Well, it's been a few months since I last posted here, and of course, that means new murals.

The replacement for February was this mural featuring two Mamenchisaurus in a heart shaped embrace. Nothing fancy, since I did make it in about an hour.

The much better art here is one of my February crafts. Based on a template for a dinosaur activity I found online, I decided to mix it up and have the kids create an accurate dinosaur. I was so happy that even with the feathers, they correctly identified them as Velociraptor.

March was Irish themed for Saint Patrick's Day of course, so I had to go with the famous "Irish Elk," Megaloceros. This is definitely a beefy, stocky deer, but I'm not the best at mammals. Still, I think it turned out pretty well. Ignore the limestone ritual site in the background, which Megaloceros predates by a few thousand years.

April's mural was only finished this Friday, and it's an Easter Parasaurolophus! I was originally gonna do a Citipati in yellow Easter chick colors, but my brother wanted a Parasaurolophus (his favorite dinosaur) he could hang up on his wall, and I was happy to oblige. I think this one is my favorite, especially with little baby Joe enjoying a flower. That little scene with him and the butterfly is actually a shrunk down version of one of the Oviraptor concepts.

ceratopsian

The Easter Parasaurolophus is charming.  You have a very good eye for the clarity imparted by strong shapes and blocks of colour. 

Lanthanotus

I like that mural idea. My favorite here are the heartshaped sauropods. Am curios what's on next month (in case you continue).

Shonisaurus

I really like the three murals, especially the megaloceros and above all the parasaurolophus has been great. Also the two beautiful and creative mamenchisaurus but in my case the two favorites are the megaloceros and the parasaurolophus as I mentioned before. You have brilliant ideas and above all you are an artist like so many other DTF members. Thank you for sharing your experiences and your photographs of your murals. They are all three great.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

That's lovely art, I know you siabdyoure not the best at mammals but that is a pretty impressive Megolceras really, nice angle.
I hope they don't take it down  this time.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Loon

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian I never considered to that way, but thank you!

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus Thank you. I don't have any solid plans for next month outside of some type of ocean or beach scene. I think I may want to try something with modern animals; I've considered sea lions.

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus Thank you!

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx Thanks.as far as I can tell, the typical suspects have no issue with this month's mural. It's only been a few days though, so we'll see.

Halichoeres

Really nice work! Although it makes me wish that you could buy chocolate Parasaurolophuses around this of year.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

Summer is fast approaching and that means Child Care has to start preparing for Camp. This year, I decided to sign up for a club, which is a dedicated time for kids to do crafts and games centered around a theme. Each club lasts for 4 days, spread out over 3 weeks. With every meeting being 2 hours, I wanted to do something I knew enough about, so, I decided on animals as my theme. My club was initially a single, 4 day session, with the final day focusing on dinosaurs. However, camp organizers encourages me to make them two separate clubs. The animal club is called "ZooKids" (named after "ZooBooks"), and the dinosaur club is called "DinoKids" (which doesn't really work). They also wanted me to do 3 sessions, instead of just 2, so ZooKids will be repeated after DinoKids. With only 2 weeks left before camp, I feel a little overwhelmed, but I've got my lessons planned, all I need now are my materials and to put together some presentations...

Anyway, every club leader has to make posters to advertise their club to kids at camp. So, I stupidly spent an inordinate amount of time putting these together.

Here's the poster for DinoKids which was done first. I was encouraged to stick to a certain set of colors from the summer camp poster, so I made my animals feature them in some way. The selection of animals is mostly tied to presentations, crafts, or games I plan on doing in my club. This is the same for ZooKids, and I will post about once I've done them with the kids.

Next up is ZooKids, which I'm personally more proud of. Even though I have more experience drawing dinosaurs, it actually turned out a lot easier to modern animals. Not that I'm an expert or really understand animal anatomy by any stretch, but the availability of reference images is so helpful.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to put in a non-bird reptile. I had planned to include a green sea turtle next to my tiger shark, as that is part of the Sharks and Sea Turtles game I have planned, but I forgot and started drawing the Narwhal in its place.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.