News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Halichoeres's drawings

Started by Halichoeres, July 28, 2016, 11:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Very nice, it somewhat reminds me of a tetra😃

Halichoeres

Quote from: Bokisaurus on March 31, 2020, 05:39:34 AM
Very nice, it somewhat reminds me of a tetra😃

Thank you! The body shape is somewhat like a tetra, now that you mention it, like an extra-large Brycinus or Rhoadsia.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

I'm enjoying your vibrant coloured fish drawings very much.  Thank you for sharing.

Avian

I really appreciate your work. In most paleoart, fish seem to be equivalent to decorations, and are never really the true focus of the work. Your drawings really bring justice to the prehistoric fishes, and show them in a new light, where they can hold their own against the T-Rexes of paleoart.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

Halichoeres

Thank you both! Today's entry isn't quite as vibrant.

Dongfangaspis qujingensis, a galeaspid (jawless fish) from the Lower Devonian. Its mouth, as I understand it, was underneath, like that of a ray. This anterior opening is frequently restored as just a gaping hole. I figured if it's hiding from predators or lying in wait for prey by burying itself in sediment, it might want a soft-tissue valve-like structure to occlude the opening if it needed to. So I gave it one, and it makes it look a little more like a ray spiracle than a jet engine intake. The grooves on the dorsal surface probably housed electrosensory equipment and pressure sensors.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Libraraptor

I am very impressed by your skills!

Shonisaurus

Magnificent paleoartistic representation of one of the first prehistoric fish that traveled the world's oceans. I congratulate you Halichoeres for your art that leaves no one indifferent.

Halichoeres

Thank you both. This week I've gone for a little more levity.

Vitruvian Bothriolepis, based on da Vinci's diagram

And as a bonus, my Griphognathus from a few months back meets The Rommelpot Player

Shonisaurus

You have been very clever. As I have seen over the years, you are in love with marine life, particularly fish. Going to the point, magnificent drawing! I congratulate you!

Halichoeres

Libraraptor

Very interesting interpretation of da Vinci´s diagram.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 26, 2020, 04:51:44 PM
Thank you both. This week I've gone for a little more levity.

Vitruvian Bothriolepis, based on da Vinci's diagram

And as a bonus, my Griphognathus from a few months back meets The Rommelpot Player
It looks like something you would find on a lithograph from an alien race, but its more closely related to us than most life on earth

Halichoeres

Four years ago avatar_SBell @SBell asked me to draw him a Serenoichthys, one of the surprisingly few fossil bichir taxa known. Because of grad school stuff, I never finished. Serenoichthys was described in 1999 based on most of the dermal armor, but no head. Most people were reconstructing it with a narrow, Polypterus-like head, but that seemed wrong to me, so I got this far before other things got in the way:

And man, I wish I'd finished, because as part of the big Kem Kem monograph, Ibrahim et al. published the first photo I'm aware of of a Serenoichthys specimen with a head:

I feel like I got pretty close! I'll have to do an updated version soon.

SBell

That was a pretty good interpretation of Serenoichthys. Looking at the whole body, it does make sense.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Now you can safely draw the Serenoichthys its complete fossil is already known. Your old interpretation is quite close to the fish whose remains have been found recently.

Halichoeres

Updated Onchopristis. It didn't look that much like a modern sawfish.

• The rostral (snout) teeth were barbed, rather than conical, and replaceable, so they varied in size.
• The rostrum was more tapered (my drawing actually still shows it too square and straight)
• The dorsal fins were way in the back, and the pelvic fins were right behind the pectorals
• The back bore denticles (toothlike structures) like a thornback ray which would have done some damage to anything attacking from above.

Shonisaurus

I really like the drawing of the onchopristis it looks phenomenal. By the way, Halichoeres, how much do you think that very rare prehistoric fish could have measured at most?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 27, 2020, 09:39:52 PM
I really like the drawing of the onchopristis it looks phenomenal. By the way, Halichoeres, how much do you think that very rare prehistoric fish could have measured at most?

Thank you. There aren't any whole specimens known, but based on better-preserved relatives it might have been up to 6 meters long. Perhaps exceptional individuals got even larger, but we don't have any evidence for them.

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres  by the way im making a rhizodus sculpture. Its still in progress.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 27, 2020, 11:55:25 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on May 27, 2020, 09:39:52 PM

Thank you. There aren't any whole specimens known, but based on better-preserved relatives it might have been up to 6 meters long. Perhaps exceptional individuals got even larger, but we don't have any evidence for them.

Heavens! Because it was a fairly large fish more than six meters, it made it by far an important marine predator.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.