News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur toy forum diorama contest 2016 - poll

Started by DinoToyForum, August 03, 2016, 11:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for up to eight [8] dioramas

1. A beautiful day in the Cloverly
42 (37.5%)
2. Alone on the beach
30 (26.8%)
3. An Old English Fisherman
63 (56.3%)
4. Can this mother Spinosaurus defend her kill and offspring from this vicious Carcharodontosaurus
6 (5.4%)
5. Caught one!
14 (12.5%)
6. Don't breathe
15 (13.4%)
7. Don't make me wait for you
13 (11.6%)
8. Early Morning Ambush at Patagonian Canyon 90 MYA
4 (3.6%)
9. Expedition archive photo #045, Central Africa, 1933
19 (17%)
10. Feel the Winter
37 (33%)
11. Funeral Party
12 (10.7%)
12. Giants of the Forest
29 (25.9%)
13. Horns vs Spikes
2 (1.8%)
14. Jurassic traffic jam
8 (7.1%)
15. La Grande Bouffe
35 (31.3%)
16. Lambeosaurus on the lam
27 (24.1%)
17. Lunch Break
6 (5.4%)
18. Mist Opportunity
63 (56.3%)
19. Misty Morning Promenade
61 (54.5%)
20. Nesting Instinct
5 (4.5%)
21. Permian Peace - In Memoriam Zdeněk Burian
66 (58.9%)
22. Protoceratops Parched Parents
15 (13.4%)
23. Tasty Veggies
5 (4.5%)
24. Teaching Your Child To Fish
2 (1.8%)
25. Tell your friend to watch where he's going
30 (26.8%)
26. The new king
0 (0%)
27. Twilight
45 (40.2%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: September 02, 2016, 11:22:33 PM

Simon

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on August 06, 2016, 09:47:26 AM
Quote from: Simon on August 06, 2016, 06:28:28 AM
Quote from: Megalosaurus on August 05, 2016, 04:23:28 PM
Is it all right if I vote only 4?
Voting for 8 feels forced for me.

There's a little big thing that ruins a lot of dioramas, this have been discused before, I'm not going to say what it is, but sure some of you noticed it in many entries this year.

Yes.  We know.  Its no secret.  And its GREEN.  The bane of miniature photography!  ;)

If what is being alluded to is green, then it's not what I first assumed it was, so now I'm confused. Based on green-ness I think I know what is meant now, but do I really...? Even given the specificity of the colour green, there are still a couple of different things It could conceivably be...  there is more ambiguity here than initially suggested... or am I just overthinking it?

You are definitely overthinking it.   ;)

Hint:  You fertilize it in the Spring, then you water it and mow it all Summer long.... ;D

stargatedalek

I actually don't find grass that detracting unless it's very small. At such a small scale grass is large enough that it can pass as waxy stalks.

Arul

Beautiful video Dr.Admin!  :)

darylj

Federreptil

Quote from: Megalosaurus on August 05, 2016, 04:23:28 PM
Is it all right if I vote only 4? Voting for 8 feels forced for me.

There's a little big thing that ruins a lot of dioramas, this have been discused before, I'm not going to say what it is, but sure some of you noticed it in many entries this year.

Only 7 entries have bigger natural green (plants and grass) that surrounded the animals. You can dislike this but there are 20 ways to avoid this situation. So only 8 choices are needed – I think it's no problem to select the individual favorites. I have mine and I must confess, no one of this is wandering between monster plants.

Paleona

I think many of us (myself included), join in on this for fun, not necessarily to create a hyper-realistic diorama. So the entries end up being very varied, which I honestly enjoy seeing! And everyone votes with a different set of standards, as has been pointed out.

Seems kind of in poor taste to point out something "ruining" a photo, in my opinion. I think that's a bit too critical for the purpose here; this isn't a professional contest.  ::)

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Paleona on August 08, 2016, 05:41:42 PM
I think many of us (myself included), join in on this for fun, not necessarily to create a hyper-realistic diorama. So the entries end up being very varied, which I honestly enjoy seeing! And everyone votes with a different set of standards, as has been pointed out.

Seems kind of in poor taste to point out something "ruining" a photo, in my opinion. I think that's a bit too critical for the purpose here; this isn't a professional contest.  ::)

I agree, I think saying it ruins a diorama is quite harsh, sometimes the physical content of the set up is much less important than the character and imagination employed in the arrangement.

Simon

Quote from: Federreptil on August 08, 2016, 04:55:36 PM
Only 7 entries have bigger natural green (plants and grass) that surrounded the animals. You can dislike this but there are 20 ways to avoid this situation. So only 8 choices are needed – I think it's no problem to select the individual favorites. I have mine and I must confess, no one of this is wandering between monster plants.

Federreptil - Please correct your original post - that is NOT my quote, I merely quoted the original author (Megalosaurus) when I replied to him.  Repeat, that is not my quote. 

I don't think that there is any one thing that "ruins" a diorama.  Art is necessarily subjective. And to be encouraged.

Thanks!   ;D

Federreptil

Quote from: Simon on August 08, 2016, 09:30:07 PM
Quote from: Federreptil on August 08, 2016, 04:55:36 PM

Federreptil - Please correct your original post - that is NOT my quote, I merely quoted the original author (Megalosaurus) when I replied to him.  Repeat, that is not my quote. 

I don't think that there is any one thing that "ruins" a diorama.  Art is necessarily subjective. And to be encouraged.

Thanks!   ;D

It is corrected and please excuse my poor handling of quotes.  :-\ I wouldn't assume you a wrong statement with a provoking wording.  :-X

Federreptil

Quote from: Paleona on August 08, 2016, 05:41:42 PM

'Ruining a photo' sounds very harsh and I think it's a wilful overstatement. But as I took the motif for the competition of 2013 'three angry chicks at work', I prefered a more dusty scenery with just a few small blades of grass. It's so easier to change the dimensions. And in the competition of 2015 Irimali has shown with 'ferns for breakfast again' how beautiful modelmaking could be. Same this year the stunning scenery of 'an old English fisherman'. But I agree, a hyper-realistic diorama is not for everyone the key if he want have fun. This year we see some good examples for fun ;)

Lady medusa

Wow! I love the amount of imagination in the top picks! It's going to be hard to pick even 8 for me. Next year I FOR SURE need to send some enteries.

Simon

C'MON FOLKS - MAKE SURE YOU VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITES!  ;D ;D ;D

Megalosaurus

Quote from: Simon on August 08, 2016, 09:30:07 PM
[...]Art is necessarily subjective. And to be encouraged.[...]

I agree.

My votes were given to those with best composition, use of light and creativity. All from my point of view.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

DinoToyForum

After 87 votes one diorama has snuck into the lead, two dioramas are sharing second place, and third place is hot on their trail. A few votes one way or another can still have a big impact!

Lanthanotus

Maybe a strange question, but does 87 represent the number of votes or voters?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Lanthanotus on August 27, 2016, 10:20:21 PM
Maybe a strange question, but does 87 represent the number of votes or voters?

voters.

Lanthanotus

Thanks, Adam.

Would have expected more participants, but nevertheless, I'm curious about the results :)

Bokisaurus

Wow, deadline is fast approaching! Good luck everyone, may the best diorama wins! :))
Oh, and please vote now if yo haven't yet ^-^

Arul

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 27, 2016, 09:57:13 PM
After 87 votes one diorama has snuck into the lead, two dioramas are sharing second place, and third place is hot on their trail. A few votes one way or another can still have a big impact!

so intense! lets vote everybody. every vote count  ;)

DinoToyForum

Every vote absolutely counts. There is still a tie as things stand!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.