News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur toy forum diorama contest 2016 - poll

Started by DinoToyForum, August 03, 2016, 11:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for up to eight [8] dioramas

1. A beautiful day in the Cloverly
42 (37.5%)
2. Alone on the beach
30 (26.8%)
3. An Old English Fisherman
63 (56.3%)
4. Can this mother Spinosaurus defend her kill and offspring from this vicious Carcharodontosaurus
6 (5.4%)
5. Caught one!
14 (12.5%)
6. Don't breathe
15 (13.4%)
7. Don't make me wait for you
13 (11.6%)
8. Early Morning Ambush at Patagonian Canyon 90 MYA
4 (3.6%)
9. Expedition archive photo #045, Central Africa, 1933
19 (17%)
10. Feel the Winter
37 (33%)
11. Funeral Party
12 (10.7%)
12. Giants of the Forest
29 (25.9%)
13. Horns vs Spikes
2 (1.8%)
14. Jurassic traffic jam
8 (7.1%)
15. La Grande Bouffe
35 (31.3%)
16. Lambeosaurus on the lam
27 (24.1%)
17. Lunch Break
6 (5.4%)
18. Mist Opportunity
63 (56.3%)
19. Misty Morning Promenade
61 (54.5%)
20. Nesting Instinct
5 (4.5%)
21. Permian Peace - In Memoriam Zdeněk Burian
66 (58.9%)
22. Protoceratops Parched Parents
15 (13.4%)
23. Tasty Veggies
5 (4.5%)
24. Teaching Your Child To Fish
2 (1.8%)
25. Tell your friend to watch where he's going
30 (26.8%)
26. The new king
0 (0%)
27. Twilight
45 (40.2%)

Total Members Voted: 112

Voting closed: September 02, 2016, 11:22:33 PM

DinoToyForum

I just posted a Youtube video to the Dinosaur Toy Channel showcasing the contest winners from the last five years, including the three winning dioramas from this year. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvRsk9fO3Ulf_-IICXzwgJw

Halichoeres

Thanks to all participants for sharing your work; I always enjoy these.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 03, 2016, 03:46:46 PM
QuoteSo I thank everyone of the other 34 very much, who also elected the old ladies coffee klatsch.

Come again!?

A klatsch is a gathering to drink (coffee, tea, etc) and chitchat; I think he's referring to #15. We anglophones borrowed "klatsch" from German.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinomike

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 03, 2016, 03:57:37 PM
I just posted a Youtube video to the Dinosaur Toy Channel showcasing the contest winners from the last five years, including the three winning dioramas from this year.
That's cool! Thank you Dr. Admin!
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

irimali

Quote from: Federreptil on September 03, 2016, 03:19:59 PM
Congratulations to the winner and the second and third places.

This was a great year for diorama builders. Everyone of this are in my Top 8, because there are so spectacular aspects in every artwork. I wondered myself how get a shot of a scene up and under the water and now the Permian still life shows perfect, how it works. The light and mood of the old English fisherman is just fantastic and I like this kind of vegetation so much. I'm not convinced with the Papo interpretation of a Baryonyx but in this motif it's a very impressive actor. Last year I discover a little fog machine for softening the background. So I love both mist entries. They got great atmospheres and I will agree with the most, the final ranking is well.

My own entry do it better than expected. A feast with Dino bods – dressed to kill with borrowed feathers – is not a real classical theme. So I thank everyone of the other 34 very much, who also elected the old ladies coffee klatsch.

I voted for yours!  It reminded me of all those 1990's illustrations of jurassic park style theropods with just a tuft of bright colored feathers on the back of the head. 

Silvanusaurus

Congratulations to everyone, it was a very eclectic lot of images representing the wonderful variety of our shared dinosaur toy passions. Two of the top three were among those I voted for, myself. Both are really striking artworks, I love the atmosphere of 'Mist Opportunity' (though it certainly wasn't one!), and 'Permian Peace' is a veritable tour de force of dioramatastic construction - the detail, the assemblage, variety and pure inventiveness of the diorama itself is incredible. I've never ever seen a diorama that well put together in a museum. It has a kind of 'old-fashioned' aesthetic to it too, which makes me feel oddly nostalgic.
Seeing all the past winners together in the video makes me want a book of diorama photos like these!

Lanthanotus

As the creator of "Permian Peace" I feel very honored by the outcome of this competition and all the very kind words written here, thanks to you all.

I can hardly believe that I made the first place here with my very first entry to the contest, having joined the forum not even a year ago. And the variety of competitors in this contest made it hard to weigh the chances, especially as I had a hard time to cast my votes myself. In fact just two of my votes went to the actual winners (and one of these to my own I've to admit  ::)), but contributions as the outrageous crazy "La Grande Bouffe", the charming all-build-up-from-scratch "Friends" by irimali or the cute chubby "Parents" deserved my votes (next to some others, I voted my full eight).

Arul

Turret

I voted for two of the winners, congratulations to everyone. These contests are always fun.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 03, 2016, 09:47:12 PM
As the creator of "Permian Peace" I feel very honored by the outcome of this competition and all the very kind words written here, thanks to you all.

I can hardly believe that I made the first place here with my very first entry to the contest, having joined the forum not even a year ago. And the variety of competitors in this contest made it hard to weigh the chances, especially as I had a hard time to cast my votes myself. In fact just two of my votes went to the actual winners (and one of these to my own I've to admit  ::)), but contributions as the outrageous crazy "La Grande Bouffe", the charming all-build-up-from-scratch "Friends" by irimali or the cute chubby "Parents" deserved my votes (next to some others, I voted my full eight).

It is a great diorama. Despite the very tough competition, it was my favourite. I'm glad it won!

----

Stargatedalek. - any news on the winners thread?

irimali

Quote from: Lanthanotus on September 03, 2016, 09:47:12 PM

Congratulations!  I voted for yours and would have been very surprised had you not taken first place.   

AcroSauroTaurus

Mine was "Horns vs Spikes", I knew it wasn't going to win, I don't really have good scenery in my yard... I have absolutely beautiful photos that I took at a local fossil gorge, but I didn't have a way to put my photos on my computer at the time. :( But now I do, and I have a photo already chosen for next years contest, so I'll be ready!
I am the Dinosaur King!

Bokisaurus

Congratulations to all the winners! Beautiful dioramas, both the classic and the outdoors. Each of the winners got my vote.
As for mine, I did # 27- Twilight  ;D

Simon

"Mist Opportunity" and "Ye Olde Englishe Fisherman" were my personal favorites and I was glad to see they finished tied for second. 

I was glad to be able to participate, though my lack of time for modeling and dio building due to "life commitments" (primarily work) made it impossible for me to do anything other than just pose two models outdoors on the last day of my vacation ("Patagonian Ambush")

I'm inspired by the winning entries to contemplate trying to do something a little more elaborate in the future, though I doubt very much I will ever be able to create anything of the calibre showed by the Top Three Entrants!!!

Congratulations to the winners once again!

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Simon on September 05, 2016, 07:11:11 PM
"Mist Opportunity" and "Early Morning Fisherman" were my personal favorites and I was glad to see they finished tied for second. 

I was glad to be able to participate, though my lack of time for modeling and dio building due to "life commitments" (primarily work) made it impossible for me to do anything other than just pose two models outdoors on the last day of my vacation ("Patagonian Ambush")

I'm inspired by the winning entries to contemplate trying to do something a little more elaborate in the future, though I doubt very much I will ever be able to create anything of the calibre showed by the Top Three Entrants!!!

You mean "An Old English Fisherman"?

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 05, 2016, 09:28:29 PM
"Mist Opportunity" and "Early Morning Fisherman" were my personal favorites and I was glad to see they finished tied for second. 

Whats suspicious is that 'Early Morning Fisherman' was one of the early working titles before I decided on the final one... Coincidence... or indicative of something much more sinister?  ;)

Simon

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on September 05, 2016, 11:36:04 PM

Whats suspicious is that 'Early Morning Fisherman' was one of the early working titles before I decided on the final one... Coincidence... or indicative of something much more sinister?  ;)

Nope, just circumstantial evidence that my brain was jumping ahead as I was typing, to the full name of my own submission "Early Morning Patagonian Ambush..." which I shortened in my comment above, as I did not fancy typing the entire thing .... TWICE ?  ;D ;D ... Been working many, many late nights the past year ...  ;)

Simon

Nope, I mean, "Ye Olde Englishe Fisherman" - Ayyeee, that be the one!!  ;D 

Libraraptor

Very cool winner! I voted for it, too! Great and calm atmosphere check, nicely photographed ckeck, animal found in Germany check, German company figure check, non-dinosaur check! My other favourite was the coffee klatsch!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.