News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

JURASSIC WORLD 2---Bryce Dallas Howard commented on if she's excited about rumors that original cast members, including Laura Dern, might return for the sequel, "Of course. Absolutely of course."

DinoLord

Looks like the sequel will have at least some animatronics.

dragon53

JURASSIC WORLD 2---co-writer Colin Trevorrow commented on the sequel's plot, "The dinosaurs will be a parable of the treatment animals receive today: the abuse, medical experimentation, pets, having wild animals in zoos like prisons, the use the military has made of them, animals as weapons."

stargatedalek

Quote from: dragon53 on October 14, 2016, 06:24:03 PM

JURASSIC WORLD 2---co-writer Colin Trevorrow commented on the sequel's plot, "The dinosaurs will be a parable of the treatment animals receive today: the abuse, medical experimentation, pets, having wild animals in zoos like prisons, the use the military has made of them, animals as weapons."
Just great, the one thing they could have done that's worse than "Bay-ifying" it with militarized dinosaurs is making it a damn anti-cap movie. I like animals, but all these "animal rights" groups (some even having the absolute audacity to call themselves "animal abolitionists") are just off the rails, and it's going to be a damn shame if Universal starts catering to people like them. Zoo's, aquariums, and conservation groups are already under enough pressure for not saving every individual fluffy seal and puppy in favor of protecting animals that actually *bleeping* need it, we don't need Hollywood jumping on the bandwagon of misinformation. Captive populations, education animals, game hunting, and culling (just throwing those last two in for the full context) just need to exist for the good of the overall species and environment. I knew it was a bad idea to let Trevorrow back on again, he got seriously lucky with JW* and I doubt it will happen a second time.

Plus JPTLW already addressed this theme, and they at least had the decency to stage it as animals being taken from the wild under shady legality (which is still a problem in some countries [and it doubled as a commentary about the ability to copyright technological and medical advances]) rather than just mindless captivity shaming.

* JW mostly played off of nostalgia for the original movies in a year when that was "the thing", it had just the right amount of hype built up, and it really didn't have much for competition when it first launched in theaters. I know I sung this movie praises when it came out, and it is undeniably entertaining still, but hindsight can really open your eyes to a film's (or in this case, creator/creative teams)'s bigger issues.

With Trevorrow writing it only Goldblum could possibly save this movie, and even then there's always Independence Day: Resurgence to remind us that life doesn't always find a way.
http://screenrant.com/jurassic-world-2-jeff-goldblum-ian-malcolm/

Flaffy

This reeks of PETA.
So we get to see genetically mutated dinosaur food now? Dino-burger or steak anyone?
Dinosaurs already recieve these treatments everyday, no need to force it into a JW film.
The logic kinda fails on the zoo part, where else would the mutant scaly beasts go?

HD-man

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 14, 2016, 06:56:23 PMJust great, the one thing they could have done that's worse than "Bay-ifying" it with militarized dinosaurs is making it a damn anti-cap movie. I like animals, but all these "animal rights" groups (some even having the absolute audacity to call themselves "animal abolitionists") are just off the rails, and it's going to be a damn shame if Universal starts catering to people like them. Zoo's, aquariums, and conservation groups are already under enough pressure for not saving every individual fluffy seal and puppy in favor of protecting animals that actually *bleeping* need it, we don't need Hollywood jumping on the bandwagon of misinformation. Captive populations, education animals, game hunting, and culling (just throwing those last two in for the full context) just need to exist for the good of the overall species and environment. I knew it was a bad idea to let Trevorrow back on again, he got seriously lucky with JW* and I doubt it will happen a second time.

Good to know I'm not the only 1 who noticed the pretentious/ignorant zoo-shaming. Reminds me of something I posted on FB a while back: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=434788356727784&id=100005898705187
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Jose S.M.

I agree that people shouldn't be so black and white and base their arguments about zoos just by what they see on the media. I find some animals unsuitable for captivity, also I don't like unnecessary breeding, but that doesn't mean that I think zoos are evil and need to be shut down. They have an educational value and conservation too.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Joe289 on October 15, 2016, 01:49:33 PM
I agree that people shouldn't be so black and white and base their arguments about zoos just by what they see on the media. I find some animals unsuitable for captivity, also I don't like unnecessary breeding, but that doesn't mean that I think zoos are evil and need to be shut down. They have an educational value and conservation too.
The problem mostly lies in cost, we have the knowledge to create decent exhibits for say orca, but the cost is typically prohibitive. In addition most of the current ones were built a very long time ago before we had the chance to observe them in captivity for decades and learn about their needs, but upgrading these exhibits is also usually prohibitively expensive. SeaWorld for example had plans to upgrade their orca tanks but were forced to scrap it because of lost revenue, which was because of paranoia regarding captive orcas, so it's not hard to see how the cycle of anti-captivity media only hurts the animals and the businesses both in the long run. Anti-captivity groups will often cite things like chlorine in water and animals being taken from the wild, but these practices are banned in most developed countries and have been for decades.

Animals that we simply lack the knowledge to keep in captivity (as opposed to lacking funds to functionally keep in captivity, such as large baleen whales) are typically animals that are very rare in the wild* and therefore animals that potentially need captive breeding in order to maintain genetically sustainable populations. With experimentation comes risks, but with risks come rewards.

*The most notable exception being many deep sea species which we are still learning about.

These same groups have also attacked institutions like the Clearwater Marine Aquarium and the Australia Zoo which both specialize in extensive rehabilitation and release programs (as does SeaWorld for that matter).

Jose S.M.

Taking animals from the wild is the main problem for me, but yes that's banned in most places, and about captive breeding of rare or endangered species that's kind of a necessity some times, like stargatealek said, to know more about them. About seaworld I don't like a lot that the orcas had to perform , but I can see about that anticap paranoia working against the already captive animals, that happened in our national zoo, they were upgrading but for pressure of some groups they had to resign and transfer their main attractions, I can see that cutting their resources and stopping the upgrAdes.
Back on topic I hope they handle the theme nicely and not gratuitously trying to spoon feed it to certain groups.

Newt

Well, I was already planning on avoiding it. This foolishness just clinches it.

Even if it were a more palatable message, popcorn movies shouldn't dabble in political preaching, in my opinion.

tyrantqueen

As long as it remains a dumb summer blockbuster I'll go see it. Won't invest in the franchise any more than that.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 15, 2016, 06:21:14 PM
As long as it remains a dumb summer blockbuster I'll go see it. Won't invest in the franchise any more than that.

What if it is a clever summer blockbuster? Sorry, I realise that's probably oxymoronic. :))

tyrantqueen

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 15, 2016, 07:17:31 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 15, 2016, 06:21:14 PM

What if it is a clever summer blockbuster? Sorry, I realise that's probably oxymoronic. :))

Probably not. I just want to switch my brain off and be entertained.

Silvanusaurus

Any thematic 'message' a film of this ilk and mindset attempts to explore will likely be done so with the subtlety and real world relevance of a speech delivered by 'Barney' the Dinosaur. Such cinema needs to just get back to pure, simple story-telling, if it tries to go for something more 'profound' then it's sure to just embarass itself and appear either ignorant or pretentious. Either people will be oblivious, insulted or just won't care. Just let it be what it is; a B-Movie. This isn't being made because Colin Trevorrow has a message he wants to deliver, or a great story to tell thats going to change people's perceptions of animal welfare, it's being made in order to rake in tomato salad by the billions, and I bet none of them will think for a second about investing any of it into those zoos that are apparently doing such a poor job.
I could tell from the behind the scenes features on Jurassic World that this Trevorrow was a hack, but geeze louise.

Halichoeres

The last big blockbuster I can remember seeing that had a really ham-fisted political message was Avatar. It made an absolute killing, but it was a garbage movie. We can probably expect about that level of subtlety and nuance.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Takama

This film potentianally has the ability to make me feel like the most cynical person on earth.

Sieurusly if they try and make me feel sorry for highly inaccurate dinosaurs that will brainwash the public, then i will simply lose my interest in the ENTIRE FRANCHISE.

Worse case scenario, EVerything is a Hybrid in the movie,

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 15, 2016, 10:58:50 PM
The last big blockbuster I can remember seeing that had a really ham-fisted political message was Avatar. It made an absolute killing, but it was a garbage movie. We can probably expect about that level of subtlety and nuance.
Finally, someone else who feels the same way about space Pocahontas Avatar.

I think the first two Jurassic Park films did a great job of hiding their subtext (regardless of everything else bad one can say about TLW), JP/// and JW were more in-your-face and off-putting about it though and this seems to imply the next one will be even worse.

Daspletotyrannus

All I have to say I was very upset in the last one that it all happened in one day.  All the other movies they stayed at least one night on the island.   So I hope they stay the night on the island in the new one.

Dilopho

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on October 16, 2016, 06:39:17 AM
All I have to say I was very upset in the last one that it all happened in one day.  All the other movies they stayed at least one night on the island.   So I hope they stay the night on the island in the new one.
That's actually a good point. I never noticed that. That Indominus must have been really working hard to get through all those dinosaurs.
A whole herd of Apatosaurus, presumably also Triceratops and Stegosaurus since they were in the field too, some Ankylosaurus, 2 Velociraptors, lots of humans and maybe some Pterosaurs too.

Nanuqsaurus

I liked Jurassic World just as an action movie. The story, characters and dinosaurs were meh, it's not a good movie but it sure is a fun movie. I also really liked the many references to the older JP movies. Still, the direction this franchise is going worries me. :( I don't have high hopes for JW2. I wish they would just accept feathered dinosaurs and stop coming up with excuses for the scaly monsters, it would make a great difference in quality.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.