News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 16, 2016, 02:00:34 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 15, 2016, 10:58:50 PM
The last big blockbuster I can remember seeing that had a really ham-fisted political message was Avatar. It made an absolute killing, but it was a garbage movie. We can probably expect about that level of subtlety and nuance.
Finally, someone else who feels the same way about space Dances with Wolves space Pocahontas Avatar.

FTFY  ;D
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on October 16, 2016, 11:58:16 AM
I wish they would just accept feathered dinosaurs and stop coming up with excuses for the scaly monsters, it would make a great difference in quality.

They are at least admiting that their creatures are not accurate. They actually have been dping that since the first book. While more accurate ones would be desirable, it is better than not aknowledging it at all. But yes, continuity is not specifically an issue here since they could always claim that feathered ones use less filler DNA.

Quote from: Dilopho on October 16, 2016, 11:42:23 AM
That Indominus must have been really working hard to get through all those dinosaurs.
A whole herd of Apatosaurus, presumably also Triceratops and Stegosaurus since they were in the field too, some Ankylosaurus, 2 Velociraptors, lots of humans and maybe some Pterosaurs too.

She's a busy girl. Although she only killed most of these, not eating them.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Gwangi

Quote from: Dilopho on October 16, 2016, 11:42:23 AM
Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on October 16, 2016, 06:39:17 AM
All I have to say I was very upset in the last one that it all happened in one day.  All the other movies they stayed at least one night on the island.   So I hope they stay the night on the island in the new one.
That's actually a good point. I never noticed that. That Indominus must have been really working hard to get through all those dinosaurs.
A whole herd of Apatosaurus, presumably also Triceratops and Stegosaurus since they were in the field too, some Ankylosaurus, 2 Velociraptors, lots of humans and maybe some Pterosaurs too.

Ever see what a fox can do in a hen house?

suspsy

Say what you will about Avatar's plot, but their CGI beasts easily kick the tar out of Jurassic World's.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Yutyrannus

Quote from: suspsy on October 17, 2016, 03:48:24 AM
Say what you will about Avatar's plot, but their CGI beasts easily kick the tar out of Jurassic World's.
Exactly, the CGI and the world they created were incredible. The story...not so much ;D.

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gwangi

Quote from: suspsy on October 17, 2016, 03:48:24 AM

Yeah, but "Jurassic World" had, like, half the budget that "Avatar" did. This, despite "Avatar" being made in 2009. No one ever factors in how much money the studio gives the film, the financial and time constraints really make a difference. How much money did anyone expect them to give a movie that was reviving a franchise that died in 2001? Even "Terminator Genisys" had a higher budget than "Jurassic World", though not by much. Given how much "Jurassic World" made I bet you the studio will be willing to spend more on the sequel, lets hope they don't waste it.

"Avatar" did some great world building and creature design but the story was crap. Say what you want about the goofy story in "Jurassic World" but I would rather re-watch the later than the former. Doesn't help that "Avatar" takes an entire day to watch. A lot of movies have told the same story as "Avatar", only better, not just "Pocahontas". "Ferngully", "Dances With Wolves", even "The Last Samurai". I would sooner watch any of those movies.

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2016, 05:04:26 AM"Avatar" did some great world building and creature design but the story was crap. Say what you want about the goofy story in "Jurassic World" but I would rather re-watch the later than the former. Doesn't help that "Avatar" takes an entire day to watch. A lot of movies have told the same story as "Avatar", only better, not just "Pocahontas". "Ferngully", "Dances With Wolves", even "The Last Samurai". I would sooner watch any of those movies.

I haven't seen "Dances With Wolves", but I have seen those other movies & (w/the possible exception of "Pocahontas" in terms of music) I definitely wouldn't say that they did anything better than "Avatar".
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Gwangi

Quote from: HD-man on October 17, 2016, 05:16:27 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2016, 05:04:26 AM"Avatar" did some great world building and creature design but the story was crap. Say what you want about the goofy story in "Jurassic World" but I would rather re-watch the later than the former. Doesn't help that "Avatar" takes an entire day to watch. A lot of movies have told the same story as "Avatar", only better, not just "Pocahontas". "Ferngully", "Dances With Wolves", even "The Last Samurai". I would sooner watch any of those movies.

I haven't seen "Dances With Wolves", but I have seen those other movies & (w/the possible exception of "Pocahontas" in terms of music) I definitely wouldn't say that they did anything better than "Avatar".

In the defense of "Ferngully", it is an older movie, definitely for a younger set. The animation as I recall stands up pretty good but I haven't seen it in a long time. It has a tegu in it so it gets points for that. "The Last Samurai" is a greatly underrated movie in my opinion. "Avatar" has a good message but it's too ham-fisted, lacking any kind of subtlety. It's story is dumbed down to cater for an audience that it thinks cannot think for themselves. The characters are nothing more than cardboard, lacking any kind of real character or compelling attributes. Guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

HD-man

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2016, 05:26:18 AMIt has a tegu in it so it gets points for that.

Is that what the singing lizard character is supposed to be?

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2016, 05:26:18 AMGuess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

I don't agree to that. ;) :P Seriously, though, I haven't seen "The Last Samurai" (which was my introduction to white-washing) in a long time, so fair enough. I wouldn't compare the other movies in terms of animation given that they're different styles.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Silvanusaurus

Oh dear... I wish the world could just forget about the whole Avatar thing... whenever somebody brings that film up, the only response I can muster is to 'bring up' my last meal. I have more hope for a JW sequel than I ever could for another one of those, but that's really not saying much.

Takama

Hounestry I think avatar is a superior movie to Jurassic World.    It was my favorite film of 2009. But that's because most of the other films from that year were meh(and this is the same year that Land of the lost came out) about the only film I felt was close to surpassing avatar 8m my book from that year was Watchmen.

tyrantqueen

Maybe they should let James Cameron direct Jurassic Park. I'm not bothered either way.

Kovu

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 17, 2016, 10:32:45 AM
Maybe they should let James Cameron direct Jurassic Park. I'm not bothered either way.

Say what you will, but he does have a reputation for being extremely detail oriented...

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2016, 05:26:18 AM
Quote from: HD-man on October 17, 2016, 05:16:27 AM

In the defense of "Ferngully", it is an older movie, definitely for a younger set. The animation as I recall stands up pretty good but I haven't seen it in a long time. It has a tegu in it so it gets points for that.

Apologies for being pedantic, but Ferngully's set in Australia, so that definitely wasn't a tegu. It's meant to be a very stylised goanna. Although, speaking of that lizard, Ferngully's soundtrack is weirdly good. Even if Avatar had musical numbers nothing would beat Tim Curry's bizarrely sexual song about pollution.

In regards to the actual subject of this thread, I'm not expecting much. That they're trying to insert a message about animal ethics into it doesn't fill me with hope either. It's not that I have a problem with green aesops in films, it's just that summer blockbusters don't tend to do them well and usually either deliver it very simplistically (Avatar) or mess it up (TLW). Animal rights is a complex issue (especially the role of zoos in conservation), and trying to create a parable using cgi dinosaurs probably won't end up working very well.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Gwangi

Quote from: Brontozaurus on October 17, 2016, 12:43:50 PM
Apologies for being pedantic, but Ferngully's set in Australia, so that definitely wasn't a tegu. It's meant to be a very stylised goanna. Although, speaking of that lizard, Ferngully's soundtrack is weirdly good. Even if Avatar had musical numbers nothing would beat Tim Curry's bizarrely sexual song about pollution.

No need to apologize, you're absolutely right as it turns out. For some reason I thought it took place in South America. I'm starting to recall all of the Australian animals that were in it now.

QuoteSeriously, though, I haven't seen "The Last Samurai" (which was my introduction to white-washing) in a long time, so fair enough. I wouldn't compare the other movies in terms of animation given that they're different styles.

I don't consider "The Last Samurai" guilty of white washing. Samurai is plural and is not meant to refer to Tom Cruise but to the group of Samurai he ends up befriending, they were the last Samurai. Tom Cruise was just our tour guide into their world.

stargatedalek

The Last Samurai is also loosely based on a true story about a white person living in Japan, so it really isn't white washing at all.

dragon53

JURASSIC WORLD 2---director JA Bayona commented on the sequel, "It will be darker and scarier than the previous film. Obviously when you have Chris Pratt, it will also be very funny. But it will be darker. It is a second step in a trilogy, and the second step is always dark as in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK or THE WRATH OF KHAN which are the examples you always get."
He added, "The film takes the story where it has never been before. To me, it surprised me. We are going to places where the saga has never been before, and at the same time we are paying tribute to the franchise. We will take it a step further. There are things that will happen that people are not expecting and they really are shocking."

Gwangi

Maybe you've seen this already, but if not.
http://collider.com/james-cameron-jurassic-park/

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2016, 06:48:55 PM

Maybe you've seen this already, but if not.
http://collider.com/james-cameron-jurassic-park/

I have seen it. I said back then that I wouldn't have wanted Cameron to direct over Spielberg, but I like all of Cameron's films (apart from Avatar) and I'd be interested in what he could do with what looks to be becoming a stagnant franchise. I still have the original Jurassic Park to go back to as well.

CityRaptor

Geez, the comment section in that article is a mess.

As for the aticle itself:
"Dinosaurs are for 8-year-olds."
I hate that kind of claim.

Speaking of What If's: Paul Verhoven's version of Disney's Dinosaur!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.