News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 17, 2016, 07:22:07 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2016, 06:48:55 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 17, 2016, 10:32:45 AM
Maybe they should let James Cameron direct Jurassic Park. I'm not bothered either way.

Maybe you've seen this already, but if not.
http://collider.com/james-cameron-jurassic-park/

I have seen it. I said back then that I wouldn't have wanted Cameron to direct over Spielberg, but I like all of Cameron's films (apart from Avatar) and I'd be interested in what he could do with what looks to be becoming a stagnant franchise. I still have the original Jurassic Park to go back to as well.

If a re-make was ever in the works then Cameron would get my vote to direct. Seems unlikely with "Jurassic World" only having just been released, and it made a ton of money so I'm not sure I would call the franchise stagnant, will see what JW2 does. I always thought "Jurassic Park" could be remade well, especially if it followed the book more closely, and there would be no excuse not to update the dinosaurs too.

Derek.McManus

I really don't see where the Jurassic Park franchise can be taken now with regards to producing an original story!

HD-man

Quote from: Brontozaurus on October 17, 2016, 12:43:50 PMApologies for being pedantic, but Ferngully's set in Australia, so that definitely wasn't a tegu. It's meant to be a very stylised goanna.

I knew it! As for green aesop cartoons, how many good ones are there? I can only think of a few, the best 1 definitely being Wild Kratts.

Quote from: Gwangi on October 17, 2016, 01:06:52 PMI don't consider "The Last Samurai" guilty of white washing. Samurai is plural and is not meant to refer to Tom Cruise but to the group of Samurai he ends up befriending, they were the last Samurai. Tom Cruise was just our tour guide into their world.

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 17, 2016, 04:16:18 PMThe Last Samurai is also loosely based on a true story about a white person living in Japan, so it really isn't white washing at all.

In retrospect, that makes sense. In any case, white-washing is the main criticism I remember from when I saw the movie.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

Gwangi

Quote from: Derek.McManus on October 17, 2016, 10:40:25 PM
I really don't see where the Jurassic Park franchise can be taken now with regards to producing an original story!

Dinosaurs off the island and integrated into society. Being used in animal testing, genetically modified pets, agriculture. This was all Dodson's plan in the novels and it seems to be where "Jurassic World" is heading, which I look forward to seeing.

Jose S.M.

I'm pretty sure dinosaurs will be a common thing is the movie's world. But for the action, where it would take place? It has to be in a somehow secure or closed place, or really small town or something, because I think that in this times it wouldn't be that difficult to take down a dinosaur.

Dilopho

I hope it goes like this: Ingen and stuff don't go bankrupt. Even though it was a horrifying event they still will contain all the pterosaurs and soon business will come back.

People are just more wary of escapes. NO ESCAPING. They will be very secure now.

But if they will be secret experimenting on the dinosaurs, I want to see a scene like in JP2's final half hour. Dinosaur in the city, entirely unstoppable.

Jose S.M.

Well I guess some dinosaurs can roam around and wreak havoc for some time.

Derek.McManus

Quote from: Gwangi on October 18, 2016, 03:16:54 PM
Quote from: Derek.McManus on October 17, 2016, 10:40:25 PM

Dinosaurs off the island and integrated into society. Being used in animal testing, genetically modified pets, agriculture. This was all Dodson's plan in the novels and it seems to be where "Jurassic World" is heading, which I look forward to seeing.

As I recall from the novel Dodson's main concern was that as genetically engineered creatures the dinosaurs could be copyrighted and created as pets in a fashion that would mean they could only eat Ingen produced food etc creating a 'ball and chain' for any owners, basically he appeared to be worried that Biosyn would be losing an opportunity to make money.

Use in an agricultural environment? As what, food? I can't see that being financially viable with rare genetically engineered creatures. Same for animal testing why use a dinosaur when rats rabbits primates etc are all widely available and presumably much more economically viable.

As regards loose on the mainland, this was strongly implied in the original novel when reports of lysine rich crops where being eaten throughout South America reached the interned survivors, possibly some potential for an original story there? The other thing that I am confident about is that any loose dinosaurs would be very easily killed buy any competent military or paramilitary organisation equipped with modern firearms and not constrained by any need to capture the creatures, witness the appalling slaughter of elephants and rhinos by poachers equipped with ak 47's and fn-fal's in modern Africa.

The more I consider the entire premise I doubt that the number of animals depicted in the books and films would never have been created particularly the large animals like the sauropods which would devastate any environment that they where kept in by the need to satisfy their huge appetite, any zoo that I have ever visited the large animal pens are worn down to bare earth or sand, I suspect if Jurassic Park or World was real there would have to be a large operation to import fodder for the herbivores and that the carnivores would actually be easier to maintain.

Don't get me wrong I will be happy to see the next step in the franchise but as I said I don't see an original story, of course I'm not a novelist or a script writer! 😀

Gwangi

Quote from: Derek.McManus on October 18, 2016, 07:39:01 PM
As I recall from the novel Dodson's main concern was that as genetically engineered creatures the dinosaurs could be copyrighted and created as pets in a fashion that would mean they could only eat Ingen produced food etc creating a 'ball and chain' for any owners, basically he appeared to be worried that Biosyn would be losing an opportunity to make money.

Use in an agricultural environment? As what, food? I can't see that being financially viable with rare genetically engineered creatures. Same for animal testing why use a dinosaur when rats rabbits primates etc are all widely available and presumably much more economically viable.

Dodson was also interested in using dinosaurs for animal testing because as you said, they would be copyrighted. No need to worry about welfare regulations. On that same note, use in agriculture could be justified in the same way. Maybe the rich 1% would want to eat some dinosaur steaks so there are farms that raise them for that purpose. Or game farms perhaps, where people can hunt them. I'm not saying I have a story written, or that whatever they come up with will make sense, that just seems to be the next place this is heading, and a logical next step.

Derek.McManus

It's always interesting to speculate on forthcoming projects..
Sort of brainstorming I suppose 😀

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on October 18, 2016, 08:15:00 PM
On that same note, use in agriculture could be justified in the same way. Maybe the rich 1% would want to eat some dinosaur steaks so there are farms that raise them for that purpose.

Because crocodile tastes like chicken, and chicken tastes like chicken, I'm pretty sure dinosaur steak would taste like chicken too. :P

Gwangi

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on October 19, 2016, 04:19:39 PM
On that same note, use in agriculture could be justified in the same way. Maybe the rich 1% would want to eat some dinosaur steaks so there are farms that raise them for that purpose.

Because crocodile tastes like chicken, and chicken tastes like chicken, I'm pretty sure dinosaur steak would taste like chicken too. :P

True maybe. There are a lot of birds that don't taste like chicken though.  Like turkey and duck.

Papi-Anon

For the 'dark' aspect the film will be taking, my money is on Blue kicking the bucket. Or maybe in JW3 that'll happen. When JW had yet to hit the theaters I predicted initially two mutually-exclusive fates of the raptor-team:

1) Raptors die being loyal to Owen but are not the saviors of the film.
2) Raptors betray Owen because they were never truly obedient (even if they appear to be).

I was surprised both my predictions came true (more or less), but still a bit disappointed that I wasn't terribly surprised by that part.

'Dark' could also just be seeing the horrors of animal testing (Wu could go full-on Joseph Mangela on his creations) and use as beasts of burden/livestock in decrepid conditions. God, I hope I'm wrong this time...

I wonder though, if Wu would remain with dinos being his subjects or would mongrel hybrids of different vertebrate groups come into existence? The tech is certainly there in that universe, what's to stop Wu and his colleagues from engineering new species of beasts using extant subjects for the traits desired? Cross-breed the right traits and you could even get Cenazoic fauna superficially.
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on October 19, 2016, 06:15:12 PM
Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on October 19, 2016, 04:19:39 PM

True maybe. There are a lot of birds that don't taste like chicken though.  Like turkey and duck.

Yes Different birds taste differently, but they all have a simaler consistency that is shared by Alligator.    I ate alligator before and it seems to be no different then eating some kind of Bird, i assume this is because there both archosaurs

dragon53

JURASSIC WORLD 2---director JA Bayona commented on the sequel, "I think somehow it's both. What we're doing is a sequel to JURASSIC WORLD, but it's definitely the fifth chapter of a longer saga. It's very interesting."
"It's always tricky, but you need to find a balance in what people expect to find, and the new stuff you're bringing to the story. And I think the story is looking for a connection between JURASSIC WORLD and JURASSIC PARK - more than what JURASSIC WORLD did."
He added, "I think what this film does is it's the second chapter of the story that started in JURASSIC WORLD, and it's open to a third chapter too."

dragon53

Director JA Bayona commented on the sequel's special effects for the dinosaurs, "Obviously you don't have real dinosaurs — sometimes you have people playing dinosaurs — but we love animatronics and we're trying to do as much with them as possible. It's complicated because the audience now is so used to seeing CGI that they're sometimes reluctant toward animatronics. But at the same time, I think animatronics bring soul and reality to it. We're trying to find the balance between animatronics and CGI in order to cheat the audience so they don't know what they're seeing."

dragon53

JURASSIC WORLD 2---director JA Bayona commented on a possible pseudo-political subtext in the sequel, "Yeah, you're right/ I think there's a lot of that in the new JURASSIC. I think there's a lot of possessiveness towards our creations. I think it's very interesting where the new movie is heading. It's so different from the other films, it talks a lot about the moment we live in right now. It's darker... but at the same time it's going to be a lot of fun. It's a blockbuster, you have Chris Pratt, it's a great adventure, but it's very interesting the way the film is darker than the other ones."

Silvanusaurus

I think they should literally have Chris Pratt riding on a saddled giant raptor, firing machine guns and rocket launchers. The franchise has become so silly they might as well go all out with it.

Neosodon

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on December 12, 2016, 08:57:34 PM
I think they should literally have Chris Pratt riding on a saddled giant raptor, firing machine guns and rocket launchers. The franchise has become so silly they might as well go all out with it.
Totally agree! ;D I have a hard time taking these dinosaurs in modern time movies seriously anyways. :P

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Blade-of-the-Moon

i think if works with raptors as a team again it would be like the first jw film, maybe more like a tarzan/ape sidekick deal.lol

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.