News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 26, 2017, 03:35:18 AM
Quote from: suspsy on January 25, 2017, 10:14:44 PM
I probably would get the Giga if I thought it would fit into my limited display space (I'm positive it won't). These two figures beautifully demonstrate the physiological differences between carcharodontosaurs and tyrannosaurs. They'd be a fun teaching tool.

We'll see.

I wonder how the Giga looks juxtaposed with the Carcharodontosaurus, size-wise (granted, the production values for the Giga are a lot more pronounced)

I would also like to see the Yutyrannus (I almost typed Y-rex) juxtaposed with this T-rex.

Well, here you go:

And with CollectA Lythronax:

tanystropheus

:) Thank you for the pictures. They actually look pretty nice together. I would imagine that an expanded set would include the Favorite Collection Yutyrannus (they share the same color scheme).

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Such a pretty family photo!

SBell

Not sure if this is somewhere around here, but I was just going over the Safari price list...and the Cambrian toob, Prehistoric mammal skulls, Prehistoric crocodiles and Prehistoric sea life toobs are not listed...and the Gastornis and Tree fern are listed as Discontinued (the other trees are not listed either); the modern mammals skulls are also Discontinued.

Not sure if this was widely known or not; it's like the opposite of 'new for 2017'--the figures that just became a whole lot more rare.

Also not sure what else I am missing--there must be others I didn't catch as missing (nothing too special in the other categories though--other than the peccary, also listed as discontinued)

CityRaptor

I think that was mentioned somewhere. Having a proper thread for retired figures would be useful.  It could list all brands.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on January 26, 2017, 07:20:24 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on January 26, 2017, 03:35:18 AM
Quote from: suspsy on January 25, 2017, 10:14:44 PM
I probably would get the Giga if I thought it would fit into my limited display space (I'm positive it won't). These two figures beautifully demonstrate the physiological differences between carcharodontosaurs and tyrannosaurs. They'd be a fun teaching tool.

We'll see.

I wonder how the Giga looks juxtaposed with the Carcharodontosaurus, size-wise (granted, the production values for the Giga are a lot more pronounced)

I would also like to see the Yutyrannus (I almost typed Y-rex) juxtaposed with this T-rex.

Well, here you go:

And with CollectA Lythronax:

Wow, your figure has bigger teeth than mine. Lucky!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Simon

I'm LOVIN' that Lythronax ... the Yutyrannus, meh, not so much ...

Doug's feathered TRex is a thing of beauty ... its a shame that Safari gave its teeth such a sloppy paint job ... someone posted a photo of one that had the paint on the teeth re-done and - man oh man did it enhance the WOW factor!!

Blade-of-the-Moon

You can give the teeth a simple brown wash, does wonders.

acro-man

Safari feathered T-rex with the PNSO featherless T-rex paint scheme by 2017OAA  :)
Click to view
https://tieba.baidu.com/p/4983785709?red_tag=1948015609
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Reptilia

It looks a lot better, still the teeth are its weakest part though.

Does anybody have a good comparison shot yet of the Safari Diplodocus along with any of the older Carnegie sauropods?

SBell

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on February 22, 2017, 12:35:29 AM
Does anybody have a good comparison shot yet of the Safari Diplodocus along with any of the older Carnegie sauropods?

I actually have one--it's with the 2008(?) Carnegie Dilpodocus:

It is much smaller...!

suspsy

Still pretty damn big and long though. This is why I had to pass on it. It simply would have taken up too much room in the display case. :(

Jose S.M.

I think if the tails weren't looped they would be pretty similar in length but they have different proportions.

suspsy

Quote from: Joe289 on February 23, 2017, 03:31:05 PM
I think if the tails weren't looped they would be pretty similar in length but they have different proportions.

As I said in my comment on the review of the WS Diplo, I still much prefer the Carnegie one. Which is also too large to have on display right now. :(

Jose S.M.

Quote from: suspsy on February 23, 2017, 03:38:09 PM
Quote from: Joe289 on February 23, 2017, 03:31:05 PM

As I said in my comment on the review of the WS Diplo, I still much prefer the Carnegie one. Which is also too large to have on display right now. :(

I feel you, large Figures are aa problem for me right now too.

tanystropheus

The WS version is more elegant and has less awkward feet positioning. The feet and corresponding toes are more precisely modeled on the WS version. The colors are more refined and the spines give it a more fashionable demeanor, overall. The looped tail also better approximates the iconic illustrations of Diplodocus found in recent paleoart. I hope to see a WS Mamenchisaurus in a similar scale in the near future (by the same sculptor, preferably)

However, the Carnegie version appears to have more heft and provides a stockier impression.

Shonisaurus

The colors of the diplodocus of Safari are more subdued and conservative in their colors are more attractive the colors with which it is painted the diplodocus of Carnegie. What I regret about Safari in this figure being a diplodocus is too small could have made the figure the same size as its predecessor of Carnegie as happened with the kronosaurus, feathered tyrannosaurus and giganotosaurus this ye

Quote from: SBell on February 23, 2017, 02:51:17 PM

Ooh, that's very nice! I would of course have preferred if it was the same size, but that's close enough for me! I held off on the Carnegie Diplodocus because there was always something about the shape and pose that bothered me, even though I could never quite put my finger on it. I like the WS version a lot more!

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 23, 2017, 04:21:08 PM
I hope to see a WS Mamenchisaurus in a similar scale in the near future (by the same sculptor, preferably)

I second that! A 1:40 scale mamenchisaur would be the last major clade not represented in my collection. I of course also like a large bodied titanosaur, as that would be a more impressive representation of the family than my Carnegie Saltasauruses, but I can wait.

Daspletotyrannus

Are both Diplodocus in the same scale?  The more pictures I see of the wild safari one, the more I feel like I should get that too. I do own the Carnegie one.  I do like that one. But the new starting to grow on me.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.