News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on February 23, 2017, 06:54:56 PM
Quote from: SBell on February 23, 2017, 02:51:17 PM

I second that! A 1:40 scale mamenchisaur would be the last major clade not represented in my collection. I of course also like a large bodied titanosaur, as that would be a more impressive representation of the family than my Carnegie Saltasauruses, but I can wait.

I present to you: the PNSO Huanghetitan.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 23, 2017, 07:33:49 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on February 23, 2017, 06:54:56 PM
Quote from: SBell on February 23, 2017, 02:51:17 PM

I second that! A 1:40 scale mamenchisaur would be the last major clade not represented in my collection. I of course also like a large bodied titanosaur, as that would be a more impressive representation of the family than my Carnegie Saltasauruses, but I can wait.

I present to you: the PNSO Huanghetitan.

Yes, that's very nice, but PNSO is stretching the definition of "Toy" in "dinosaur toy".  I'm thinking less sculpture and more playable. I have toddlers running around my house now...

BlueKrono

True. The PNSO minis are as good a plaything as any American dino toy, but I can't vouch for the big ones as I don't have one yet. The price alone would probably exclude them from being a good choice for young children.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Sigmasaurus

Honestly, this is Safari's best year EVER!

tanystropheus

Are you guys ready for the a WS Pteranodon?

John

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 02, 2017, 12:41:18 PM
That would not be a bad thing...not at all! ;D
Especially since a Pteranodon longiceps would likely come out fantastic regardless who would end up sculpting it hypothetically speaking.
And I still want to see a Styracosaurus albertensis turn up from Safari,(even if CollectA did one this year.The more,the better! :) )
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

suspsy

Given the new restoration of Hatzegopteryx, I'd much rather see Safari release that one than Pteranodon.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I think the best "straight crested" Pteranodon is still the large JP3 version (somehow). It's naked and a little shrink-wrapped along the back, but it's the only one that even has the general proportions right that I know of.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: John on March 02, 2017, 03:03:27 PM
Especially since a Pteranodon longiceps would likely come out fantastic regardless who would end up sculpting it hypothetically speaking.
And I still want to see a Styracosaurus albertensis turn up from Safari,(even if CollectA did one this year.The more,the better! :) )

Safari did do a Styracosaurus a long time ago, but its been retired for years.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Pachyrhinosaurus

IMO the best/most accurate pteranodon is the Schleich. For such a popular animal, it doesn't have many good figures. Would be nice to see an improved styracosaurus, too; I never cared for the CollectA version since it was revealed.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

John

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on March 02, 2017, 05:48:58 PM
Quote from: John on March 02, 2017, 03:03:27 PM

Safari did do a Styracosaurus a long time ago, but its been retired for years.
I remember at least 3 actually,if you count a small 3 inch long one from 1995.Then there was one in the original Wild Safari lineup in 1997,and finally one in the Carnegie Museum line in 2002.But as you say,all long retired now.But if Ceratosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus can show up again after similar circumstances,than anything can turn up now too. :)

Now that we are thinking of Pteranodon and Styracosaurus,chances are neither will be even close to what actually turns up from Safari Ltd. next year...  :))
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

Sorry for my indiscretion but it gives me the impression that there is some member of the forum (it is a mere guess) that knows something of the news of Safari 2018 although obviously it does not say it and it will not say and it is not exactly Doug Watson. It is a mere speculation but my intuition tells me that something is already known (although it is too premature) of the news of Safari.

Halichoeres

I agree, the Replicasaurus Pteranodon is one of the best figures Schleich has ever made. Obviously the Kaiyodo is also phenomenal, but outside of fragile miniatures, the Schleich is my favorite P. longiceps.

That said, I'm confident that Safari could improve upon it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ZoPteryx

Safari really outdid themselves this year!  :o  I already picked up the Rex, Coelophysis, and Deinocheirus and they're all fantastic, they do all have slight issues standing though.  I think my favorite of the trio is the Coelophysis, such an elegant and lithe animal.  I'll probably end up getting all of them, except maybe the Microraptor and the Kronosaurus.  I'm already getting the BotM version of the former and something about the pose bugs me on the latter; photos could easily change my mind.  ;)

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 03, 2017, 03:29:55 AM
I agree, the Replicasaurus Pteranodon is one of the best figures Schleich has ever made. Obviously the Kaiyodo is also phenomenal, but outside of fragile miniatures, the Schleich is my favorite P. longipes.

[snipped img]

That said, I'm confident that Safari could improve upon it.
Agree with all the above.  We really do need a good modern Pteranodon, don't we.

Everything_Dinosaur

The Wild Safari Prehistoric World feathered T. rex, feathered Velociraptor, the Giganotosaurus and the Coelophysis models are now all back in stock at Everything Dinosaur: Wild Safari Prehistoric World

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

CrypticPrism

Oh. My. God. What an idiot.
They can't get every little detail into A FOOT LONG toy!

If she's whining about TOOTH SIZE, she needs to be eaten by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Blade-of-the-Moon

CrypticPrism, please watch the  aggressive posting.   Everyone is entitled to an opinion , just post your own review of it.  No need to get upset.

CrypticPrism

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on March 02, 2017, 06:02:31 PM
IMO the best/most accurate pteranodon is the Schleich. For such a popular animal, it doesn't have many good figures. Would be nice to see an improved styracosaurus, too; I never cared for the CollectA version since it was revealed.

The pteranodon Schleich is perhaps one of its better figures and is more surpasses to the quetzalcoatlus. It is true there is no good pterondon unfortunately. The Safari and the Carnegie are not honestly good.

On the other hand the one of Collecta although belongs to the dark age of Collecta is not of the worst of that moment although its colors are quite dark I do not imagine a pteranodon well. Of course, toy companies are reinstating well-represented pteranodon and paleontologically well-made palaeontologists.  :P

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.