News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Okay, just got off the phone with the good folk at Bell Canada after our network went kaput. 45 minute long conversation, held underneath the basement stairs where the router is mounted, and there's currently no working lights in that area. Fun times.

Anyway, some further thoughts on this exciting news. That feathered T. rex looks very, very impressive. I especially like the battle scars on its face. As to whether or not it'll match up to CollectA's, well, I for one shall wait and see what the production version looks like. I will say right now that I like that the WS version has feathers on its cheeks. As to its dimensions, I'm guessing it'll be around the same size as the 2011 T. rex, maybe a little bigger. And if I'm wrong and this is the first of a new Deluxe class, then how wonderful it will be to be wrong!

The mosasaur and the pterosaur look very promising as well. I'm assuming it's Tylosaurus and Quetzalcoatlus, but I suppose it could also be Mosasaurus and Hatzegopteryx. Can't wait to see what the mosasaur's tail is like. But I must say, I would have preferred a standing pterosaur as opposed to another flying one.

So I reckon we've got two more prehistoric beasties to be revealed, maybe even three. Can't wait!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Keaton64

Something about that shark's lower jaw doesn't look right.  There is a small white lump at the end of it, but it may just be the water.  Then again, what if it's a tooth whorl (although it is kind of small)?  I am no shark expert, but didn't some extinct sharks have this feature, like Sarcoprion & Helicoprion?  If that is the case, I will definitely be adding it to my shark collection.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: suspsy on August 23, 2016, 12:08:05 AM
But I must say, I would have preferred a standing pterosaur as opposed to another flying one.

I think it's refreshing to see a flying Azhdarchid for a change. I feel like they've all been Mark Wittonized over the past decade. Let's see a standing rhamphorhynchid next :)

Could use a more dynamic pose though, rather than flat wings straight neck. Flap those wings!
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Simon

One more thing about that FINE LOOKING TRex - don't expect the teeth on the toy to be as sharp as they appear on the photo of the sculpted piece.  They will be softened to some extent in all likelihood for kiddie safety.

Still, this is one piece I am looking forward to seeing more of!

suspsy

Quote from: Keaton64 on August 23, 2016, 12:54:08 AM
Something about that shark's lower jaw doesn't look right.  There is a small white lump at the end of it, but it may just be the water.  Then again, what if it's a tooth whorl (although it is kind of small)?  I am no shark expert, but didn't some extinct sharks have this feature, like Sarcoprion & Helicoprion?  If that is the case, I will definitely be adding it to my shark collection.

No, if it was Helicoprion, you'd be able to tell right away. The tooth whorl would have been large. Besides, Helicoprion was shark-like, but it wasn't an actual shark. Its closest relatives are the chimeras.

That figure looks more like a mako to me.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

DinoLord

The T. rex looks really top-notch. Here's hoping it has some heft to it.

tyrantqueen

I'm not crazy about the T. rex. It's not fair to judge this early but I still like my CollectA rex more.

Halichoeres

I think Suspsy's probably right that this is a mako, although I could also be convinced it's a blue. If it were Helicoprion or something similar, it wouldn't have five gill slits, and the dorsal fin would be right up against the back of the head. I'd love a full sized Sarcoprion, though, and I can see where you would get that.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Keaton64

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 23, 2016, 02:37:29 AM

I think Suspsy's probably right that this is a mako, although I could also be convinced it's a blue. If it were Helicoprion or something similar, it wouldn't have five gill slits, and the dorsal fin would be right up against the back of the head. I'd love a full sized Sarcoprion, though, and I can see where you would get that.

Yeah, I didn't think it was helicoprion, but I'm unfamiliar with all the other related species, so I was hoping for it to be something similar.  It was just one of the ones that came to mind while typing. 

If that white lump isn't part of the water, I could see it being the teeth of a mako.  They appear to have multiple teeth near the end of their lower jaws.  The resolution isn't good enough to really make it out though, so maybe I'm looking at it with way too much interest (and false hope).

I emailed Safari about what species it is not too long ago, and they already responded.  They said they'll reveal it in the coming weeks. 

pylraster

I don't mind a tripod pose for the Rex as long as it's nicely executed. Better than having figures that topple over.

Silvanusaurus

By Jupiter, that T rex! I have no interest in the Mosasaur or the Azhdarchid, so I hope there's something else to interest me yet to be revealed. But that rex is beautiful, much more exciting I think, than any of this years safaris... I am right in thinking it has feathers all over it's body, aren't I? It looks much better than the furry CollectA, though my favourite thing about it may be the rusty colours, I love autumnal shades like these!

sauroid

WOW! that rex! i just hope that there'd be MORE prehistoric figures from Safari next year.

btw, isnt it about time that a "new for 2017" section be put up already?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

tanystropheus

These are some beautiful models. The colors are vibrant  :)

Chasmosaur

Hope there's some other dinosaurs in the lineup... need to see a good Chasmosaurus get created

Flaffy

Mosasaur: Meh, the colours look unrealistic, probably gonna be like last year's plesiosuchus quality
Quetzal/Hatze: It looks fine, a bit stiff, reminds me of the colorata one.
T-rex: Looks decent enough to be excited for, love the colours, reminds me of the colorata Premium Feathered Dinosaurs t-rex.

Dobber

Wow, fuss by the first look that Rex looks fantastic. Time will tell though once we see more pictures and what actual production samples look like.  8)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Shonisaurus

This year they are revealed new figures faster than other years.

Feathered tyrannosaurus seems to have very good finish, in what refers to mosasaurus or liopleurodon, although the colors of figures such as the tiger shark not convince me is a substantial improvement over its predecessor.

Moreover the flying ptererosaurus either quetzalcoatlus or hatzegoperxy unfortunately can not be seen well.

Then I expect to see a anchiceratops, Arrhinoceratops or Chasmosaurus would be great figures, given the quality of toy figures Safari.

Derek.McManus

I'm sure that this intail release is a tease and that more details and better pictures of some of the models will be forthcoming in the future!

Roselaar

Looking good! Butch T-Rex, nice Azdarchid and an okay Mosasaur. I agree the latter is gonna be Plesiosuchus quality (so not bad, but not great either), but I have a feeling the former two are a step ahead of what we got this year.

What's with the animosity against Collecta's Feathered T-Rex all of a sudden? It's a great figure!

Flaffy

Actually, could this "new" mosasaur actually be a repaint of the carnegie one? I could be horribly wrong, but i can see some similarities between the two.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.