News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur toy forum diorama contest 2016 - Results

Started by stargatedalek, September 05, 2016, 02:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

This was a year of firsts in a lot of ways for our annual contest, and I'm very glad I was allowed to play such a big part in it. There were so many high caliber entries this year it's the first ever tie!

1st place. Diorama 21. Permian Peace - In Memoriam Zdeněk Burian, by Lanthanotus

A first, it seems there were so many amazing entries this year that we ended up with a tie at a whopping 63 votes each. 2nd place, was a tie between Diorama 3. An Old English Fisherman, by Silvanusaurus and Diorama 18. Mist Opportunity, by dinomike

Congratulations to all three prize winners! There are also three honourable mentions in 4th, 5th, and 6th place respectively:

Honourable mention 1. Diorama 19. Misty Morning Promenade, by A.Garcia

Honourable mention 2. Diorama 27. Twilight, by Bokisaurus

Honourable mention 3. Diorama 1. A beautiful day in the Cloverly, by EarthboundEiniosaurus

I know a few of you had dioramas made or ready and didn't get the chance to enter because of how rushed things ended up being at times and I'm so sorry, so I'd like to thank everyone for voting and entering despite my inexperience with everything from forum pole set-up to an abnormally short entry period. And another Thanks to David Hone and Bloomsbury Sigma for providing the prizes.

Bokisaurus

Beautifully done! I love seeing all the top one in one post, and it's an amazing lineup of winners, in fact it may be the strongest by far!
Great job everyone, and congratulation to all the winners and honorable mentions, too! My vote went to all the top ones, and I have to say I love Misty morning, beautifully done!

Lanthanotus

Thanks stargatedalek for hosting this contest for creating this thread :)

Lanthanotus

I thought maybe to best share this here instead of creating a new thread, after all it's a "result" somewhat ....

... with great anticipation I awaited my prize for winning this year's contest and finally it arrived with todays mail.

Now, I knew what the prize would be, nevertheless I love books and sure this one would have escaped my attention, it's not even on any of my amazon or abebooks recommendations. So I'm very keen to read through this and browsing through already makes it look very promising - hope I can review it sooner or later here. As a real surprise there came three little "dinosaurs" and one being the Invicta Dimetrodon (considered a few times to buy it on ebay UK, but the shippings costs most time would have made a fair deal worthless) made me laugh with astonishment. :D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 05, 2016, 07:25:43 PM
I thought maybe to best share this here instead of creating a new thread, after all it's a "result" somewhat ....

... with great anticipation I awaited my prize for winning this year's contest and finally it arrived with todays mail.

Now, I knew what the prize would be, nevertheless I love books and sure this one would have escaped my attention, it's not even on any of my amazon or abebooks recommendations. So I'm very keen to read through this and browsing through already makes it look very promising - hope I can review it sooner or later here. As a real surprise there came three little "dinosaurs" and one being the Invicta Dimetrodon (considered a few times to buy it on ebay UK, but the shippings costs most time would have made a fair deal worthless) made me laugh with astonishment. :D

I'm glad! ;D The Invicta Dimetrodon was a special bonus for 1st place.

Silvanusaurus

Very nice... what's that little dark coloured critter?

Lanthanotus

Not sure tbh,... it's an interesting sculpt and quite well detailed for such a small scale, says "China" on the belly but I could only speculate about its identity. Any ideas are welcome :)

DinoToyForum

Lanthanotus

Diatryma, I suspected that for a slight moment, but then I deceided it's probably a more recent sculpt of some non avian theropod out of one of these tubes of dinosaurs in the dollar shops. That beak looks too blunt, but that pheasant like tail makes for an interesting reconstruction of that big bird.

Halichoeres

Cool! Well-deserved. That same sculpt has apparently been sold as "Caudipteryx" in a tube reusing the Paninin molds:http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Playspaces_Caudipteryx
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Ikessauro

Congrats to the winners! I missed the deadline this year, but got to vote and I see that the winner really deserves the prize! Gorgeous reconstruction!

Also, there has been a tie before, in 3rd place, a few years back. I know that because I was one of the contestants in the tie.  :))

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Lanthanotus on October 05, 2016, 09:43:48 PM
Not sure tbh,... it's an interesting sculpt and quite well detailed for such a small scale, says "China" on the belly but I could only speculate about its identity. Any ideas are welcome :)

I have the same sculpt, but it says Diatryma. But I think it looks like a bird from the Cretaceous

DinoToyForum

That's the Panini Diatryma (or a model made from the same mould), see: http://dinotoyblog.com/2018/10/28/prehistoric-animals-panini-review-part-2/

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.