News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jose's Dinosaur sculpts and repaints

Started by Jose S.M., September 10, 2016, 04:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintingdinos

These repaints are looking great! I like the subtle colors of the Yut, and the Nasuto is properly flashy :)

ceratopsian

ZoPteryx

Carcharo74

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on December 10, 2017, 06:33:57 PM
I decided to fix my first sculpt, it was damaged a bit damaged, lost the tip of the tail and one toe, plus lots of paint scuffs because it fell to the floor while I was re-arrenging my room, but I left it like that. Some weeks ago there was an earthquake here, it was like "medium intensity", we are very used to 5-6 degrees earthquakes here, this one was a 6,2, anyway the figure fell again, from the top of my new display, and lost it's feet, an entire forelimb and another chunk of tail and back so I decided to use what I have left of air drying clay to fix it, since I made a second version of Brachylophosaurus I also  made it a new species so now he's and Edmontosaurus, it's the species that's not commonly represented with the little crest because I'm not sure of the exact shape, size and position of the crest, though I don't really know if both should have it. Anyways, here it is:

here is how it was before:

It was pretty clunky  ;D ;D :P

It has some goofs I admit. The head should be narrower, I tried to add some volume in the back of the original head and beak to give it a better shape but always ended up looking very goofy so I used sand paper to shape it, it's not  exactly as narrow as I wanted but it's something. I ran out of clay so I didn't gave it a row of scutes along the back, maybe I'll do it later.

What do you use for the skin details?
Greetings

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Carcharo74 on January 08, 2018, 03:40:48 PM

What do you use for the skin details?
Greetings

Hi! for this one I used one of these:

I just pressed the hole on the clay, it was kind of hard because I hate the material this one is made, it's difficult to work for me as it has to stay wet all the time or else it self hardens fast. And for the smaller texture that's slightly visible on the head I made a texture stamp with the clay, just pressed a piece of clay in the surface (I made mine out of a textured flower vase, I've made others from different house things too) and let it dry.

Jose S.M.

Here's another makeover, this one was a quick one, I like that they use blue, that's my favorite color but it's kind of hard to use it well on a dinosaur toy, Safari Gryposaurus is one of the better exemples for a blue colored dinosaur that doesn't look unnatural. In CollectA Mercuriceratops, the blue on the frill was ok, but in the back it looked weird to me, so I attempted to remove that blue patch but ended up changing the whole body color and instead of blue outlining the frill, I used on the inside of the frill apertures.

Carcharo74

Looks really professional! I did some repaints too, but they weren't as good as yours!
Where do you buy the tools you use for skin details?
Greetings

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Carcharo74 on January 10, 2018, 08:09:53 PM
Looks really professional! I did some repaints too, but they weren't as good as yours!
Where do you buy the tools you use for skin details?
Greetings

Thanks! I got that image of what I used from Internet and it said ball inflation needle, so I guess that's what is called. There were several in my house, but I think you can get them on a hardware store (that's the name of the stores where you buy hammers, nails and tools in general right? Why I'm not sure of my basic english lessons anymore?  :P).

Jose S.M.

Here's a new one! my first theropod: Skorpiovenator! Sadly it doesn't stand on it's own so I made a removable base for it. I think the head could be better but I'm pleased with this, my first try at theropods, by the way there's cracks on the legs because I dropped while painting it so I made the best repairs I could, let's just say they are big battle scars  :P

Lanthanotus

It may lack finesse in the texture but I like it. Especially the fact that you added lips (a feature still too often neglected I think) and also the color scheme :) Will you add some color and life to the base? Also a nice choice for a theropod sculpt.

Jose S.M.

Thanks, yes I'm going to paint the base, It had another one that was already painted but didn't fit the legs that I had to remake, so the one in the photo was just drying still. The legs and base are from a different material than the body because the original shattered to a point were put them together with glue was not an option.

irimali

I like the face on this!  Skorpiovenator has such a distinctive head and you really captured it.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: irimali on February 14, 2018, 10:32:07 PM
I like the face on this!  Skorpiovenator has such a distinctive head and you really captured it.

Thanks! I re-did the head various times because I wasn't pleased at first.

Here's something else I did, I decided to try and custom the Schleich Oviraptor to give it feathers on the underside:

I have to practice feather texture more  :P

Halichoeres

That definitely makes it look more natural and less like a statue.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

A couple of new things: first I used sandpaper on the legs of Skorpiovenator and smoothed at least the biggest cracks it had, specially one very big on its right thigh.

And I made a new version of Camptosaurus, the first one was a hybrid of air drying clay (the lower legs) and semi hardened "play-doh" (it's not of that brand but I don't know what's the general term for that), this one is made of Sculpey (except one finger that broke  :P)

A little update : I'm on the process of thinning it's arms because they look chunky in front view hehehe.

Neosodon

Not bad. The Camptosaurus looks pretty decent.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Jose S.M.

New version of Centrosaurus, the other one has a frill to bit and angled, I'm planning to turn it into another species.

One of the smaller fingers in the hands is too big, it fell of while painting it and I attempted to glue it, but I messed up and glue another one that had fell earlier. one of the clawed ones  ::) let's say it got stung by a something like a wasp, like me yesterday, my ear looked like Dumbo's   :-\.

Lanthanotus

Woah, both your new versions are great, Camptosaurus and Centrosaurus. One can easily see a lot of progress there. I think the legs need a bit more finesse, but both body and especially heads look particularly good :)

Jose S.M.

Since I made a second version of Centrosaurus, because the original frill wasn't exactly shaped like a Centrosaurus one, I modified the original into Titanoceratops, I based the frill shape and colors on this image by Gabriel Ugueto: https://kana-hebi.deviantart.com/art/Ceratopsidae-Chasmosaurinae-Heads-front-view-657994431. I think the frill could be larger, but let's say it's not full grown yet  ;)

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 31, 2018, 05:01:09 PM
Woah, both your new versions are great, Camptosaurus and Centrosaurus. One can easily see a lot of progress there. I think the legs need a bit more finesse, but both body and especially heads look particularly good :)

Thanks!

Bokisaurus

Very nice, you keep on improving  with each new sculpt. Keep it up! ;)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.