News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jose's Dinosaur sculpts and repaints

Started by Jose S.M., September 10, 2016, 04:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanthanotus

Nice and quite an interesting paint scheme :)

Btw, your photos seem to be missing from the posts before....

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 11, 2018, 08:41:29 PM
Nice and quite an interesting paint scheme :)

Btw, your photos seem to be missing from the posts before....

Something is happening with Postimage, weird thing is I still see them, even after emptying the cache twice. But can't see other people pictures.

Jose S.M.

I have some leftover air drying clay and decided to make smaller dinosaurs with it, since I'm out of Sculpey. Here's an Othnielosaurus, coloration based on the ones from The Ballad of Big Al

Mini Minmi

Gosh it's cute. What size is it? Great job of balance, it looks sturdy on its two feet without them having to be too big and I just love the general shape, the gentle curve of the neck.

Jose S.M.

Thanks avatar_Mini Minmi @Mini Minmi  , it's 5 inches long, it's not that small but it's the smallest of the ones I've done. And I'm very surprised myself that it stands without problems on its own  ;D

ceratopsian

Nice job. That looks very professional.

Jose S.M.

I repainted my Schleich Oviraptor, the all grey color scheme didn't do it for me, so here it is:

I wanted to gave it something like an iridiscent blue coloration over the black so I used a bit of metallic blue paint and I think it looks like what I wanted, but it's more visible in person.

ceratopsian

You've made a good job of it.  That model really cries out for a paint makeover, as the original was so uninspired although the sculpt is a good one.

PhilSauria

Yeah, that thing's like an pre-made figure ready to paint-it-yourself. Maybe Schleich should market it in those terms! Most dull and uninspired paint job (barely)of any figure I've seen in a while. Nice job with the makeover.

Mini Minmi

Beautiful work! I love the colors and patterns you chose, it looks like it could just squawk at me and run away.

Halichoeres

Big improvement! The sheen on the back is just detectable in the photos.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Libraraptor

A great paintjob!  I still don't get why Schleich firstly made such a great sculpt ans secondly ruined it with that sloppy paintjob.

Jose S.M.

Thanks everyone! :)

I decided to change the head of my Edmontosaurus sculpt, It didn't looks so "edmontosaurian" to me, and lacked the crest, so I added and tried to make it look like the new interpretation of it's beak and head (like in the paper that said "there's no duck-billed dinosaurs"). Also added the back scutes. I might change the shape of the light patches around the eyes, they look too rough right now.

Bokisaurus

Nice hadrosaur and really good paint job on that Ovi. It would be interesting to see the many different repaint versions of that figure. It may just go down as the most repainted figure in history ;D
Any new sculpt you are working on?
I just started on my first attempt on ceratopsians and they are a challenge! ;D

Jose S.M.

B @Bokisaurus Thanks! I'm still not working in any big pieces, I ran out of Sculpey and I can't find it in my city so I have to take a trip to where I got it last time, but I plan to start a small one made of air drying clay this week.

Bokisaurus

I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on air drying clay, I have never worked with it before.
Hopefully you will get back into making more figures soon, looking forward to it.
My problem is the reverse, I have a hard time working in smaller pieces, I just have a big hands and very clumsy ;D Cheers!

Jose S.M.

I actually dislike air drying clay for the most part. My first four sculpts were made with it and all of them have been heavily modified. That's what I like about the air drying clay, making adjustments long after you have done the figures. But working with it is very messy and the wait for it to dry can be long and personally I have really hard time texturing, scaly texture is something I can't do right with it, the Othnielosaurus has that wrinkly texture because of that.
And I don't know how I've done what I've done! I'm very clumsy too. In the school I suffered through the art classes but I've surprised myself with this new sculpting hobby hehe.

Jose S.M.

I'm back with this! I made this Leptoceratops during last week. It's made with air drying clay again, whuch I don't like that much but I still have some left for one or two little dinos before I start with a bigger one out of sculpey.

PhilSauria

My first few attempts were with the air drying clay but I found that it dried too quickly for the amount of detail that I was trying to achieve (part of that may have been ambition outstripping ability...) so I mainly use it for bases now, which are quicker to make. (An awful lot of Therapods eventually lose their balance and need them). My last two sculpts I've done using polymer which stays workable for a very long time and can be added to after each bake. As it takes me ages to get through a project that suits me. Look forward to seeing your Dinos in the new medium.

Charavoitau

Very nice sculpts and recent oviraptor repaint. Coincidentally, I obtained and repainted one recently as well, but yours just looks fantastic.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.