News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jose's Dinosaur sculpts and repaints

Started by Jose S.M., September 10, 2016, 04:15:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Very nice. How big is it?
I never worked with that kind of clay before, I heard they are not that easy to work with. Does the paint stick to it okay?
I also like the colors ^-^

Jose S.M.

Thanks for the good comments  ^-^

B @Bokisaurus It's 4,5 inches long. And I share most complaints about this clay, it's really hard to get textures right, especially in the limbs, they deform easily if you press whatever you're using to texture. I find that the wrinkly effect (like the Battat Parasaurolophus for example) is easier to achieve.  I've made 5 figures with it and the paint is still holding up good.

Jose S.M.

Here's a small ornithopod I made with the last of the air drying clay, it's a Thescelosaurus. I try to make it with feathers on it's body, this is my first real try at feathered texture and even if I'm not 100% pleased, I think I know what to do to make it better next time. Also the feet are very plain again because I was waiting for them to harden a bit to try to texture them like the tail and forgot about it so they dried completely ::)

And I finally got Sculpey so my next sculpts will be in it.

Bokisaurus

Nice, looks awesome. Too bad about the feet, glad you got sculpey for your next project. Hmmm, a sauropod maybe? I would be interested to see how you tackle that group ;)
Your figures have a lot of textures on the skins, have you tried doing a lot more dry-brushing to really bring them out? Also, do you do an undercoat of paint first before you lay down the paint? Just curious about how you go a bout painting your sculptures.
Cheers!

Halichoeres

Yes, an ornithopod! I like the color scheme and it's immediately obvious that you're going for a feathery look.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 18, 2018, 06:36:05 PM
Nice, looks awesome. Too bad about the feet, glad you got sculpey for your next project. Hmmm, a sauropod maybe? I would be interested to see how you tackle that group ;)
Your figures have a lot of textures on the skins, have you tried doing a lot more dry-brushing to really bring them out? Also, do you do an undercoat of paint first before you lay down the paint? Just curious about how you go a bout painting your sculptures.
Cheers!

Thanks B @Bokisaurus ! I've been wanting to get sculpey to try a sauropod so probably I'll do one next. I need to up muy paint game  ;D I'm trying to use different techniques so the figures are not just solid colors but I still need to get better in that subject.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres  thanks, I'm glad you like it. It's curious that 6 out of 10 sculptures I've made are ornithopods.

ceratopsian

Quote from: Jose S.M. on October 19, 2018, 01:20:02 AM
.......It's curious that 6 out of 10 sculptures I've made are ornithopods.

Curious perhaps but altogether a good thing.  Ornithopods don't get enough love and hence enough representation in model form.

Jose S.M.

I made a sauropod! Europasaurus:

Sorry for the mostly bad pics, my bedroom is very poorly lit and I couldn't get to focus on the blue background for more close up pics, so I used the other background and the colors ended up looking duller. Also I take photos with my phone and it's camera is just average.

Lanthanotus

ceratopsian

Halichoeres

Your first sauropod, right? Turned out well!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Neosodon

I thought Europasaurus before I even read your post. Nailed it.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Bokisaurus

Yay, a sauropod! Looks great! Did you make 2 or did you just repainted it? I like the colors on both.
You had a better luck on your first try on a sauropod than me ^-^
So, how was it sculpting one of these longnecks? Oh and what did you use for texturing the skin? I like the size and look of it, something that my figures seriously need! ^-^

Jose S.M.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone  ^-^

B @Bokisaurus I made one and painted it several times, I coudn't get the coloration I wanted at first, sometimes too dark, others too light, it ended up looking more like the first picture but I added lighter touches in the lower body. Sculpting the body and even the neck wasn't too difficult, but the head was tricky, sometimes I made it too big or too small, sometimes it seemed like it was falling instead of firmly attached to the neck  :P. and the back limbs, I didn't wanted them to look too slim because even being a small saurpod, it probably was heavy, they ended up a little chunkier than I wanted. Now I want to move into a bigger sauropods, that's probably going to be very challenging so I'll wait until I'm on vacations from college to tackle it. The smaller textures I made it with a "stamp" made of air drying clay, I made a small stick of it and made several holes with a needle on it's tip, I moved the needle around to make them different sizes and shapes instead of perfect holes, I used this one in the Lepto too but didn't work very well on air drying clay, it was better for sculpey. Also I used a stamp made pressing the same kind of clay into a purse that has some scaly texture for some reason.

Bokisaurus

Haha, I'm glad to hear I was not the only one who had a challenging time sculpting sauropod heads! ;D Yeah, it's odd that for such a simple head compared to ceratopsians, it's surprisingly challenging!
Thanks for sharing, and thanks for the tip on how you made the textures, I may try to make one for future models I make.
I can't wait to see what big sauropod you decide to make.

Jose S.M.

This is the latest thing I made, I think it's easy to identify  :P

ceratopsian

I think that has turned out very well.  If only I could do something half as good!

Halichoeres

Ooh, Ouranosaurus! It's great fun watching you improve.

Bokisaurus

I love it! You are getting better and better with your paint blending, did you do dry-brushing on this one?
Funny, I have made a Ouranosaurus myself, by accident really.
Can't wait to see what you come up next!

Jose S.M.

Here's Aquilops! it's a small sculpt, I don't know why it took me so long to finish it, probably a bit of a uninspired streak, but it's here now, I don't really love it and it can't stand on it's own but it deserves some love at least from it's creator  ;D :P

This poor guy sufferd from lots of accidents, it lost a finger, a feet and one of it's cheek horns before finishing it, at the time of the photos is still missing the finger actually.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.