News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

the american rivals

Started by spinosaurus1, July 12, 2016, 02:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spinosaurus1

hello again. announcing that i have started on two sculptures that will hopefully give positive results. with the 1: 20 scale line of sculptures halted for a bit until i'm able to by more materials, i decided to work with a smaller scale just to pass the time. the 1:35 scale animals i plan to do are triceratops and tyrannosaurus. ( how original  ::)) but seriously, i do plan to do a few things differently that would set these sculptures apart from the usual mainstream once. for example, while many tyrannosaurus figures are created, they are often based on one of the largest and most well known specimens, which is in many cases is FMNH PR2081. i wanted to do a sculpture representing another tyrannosaurus individual. so i decided to create one on my favorite tyrannosaurus specimen. BHI 3033
stan has imo the most interesting and visually appealing body proportions out of the adults. its comparatively large head and semi slender build ( by tyrannosaurus standards) just makes it a very interesting looking tyrannosaur, and this i decided to represent him in this sculpture.

heres the build so far. i sculpted the skull for the armature and to get a general idea on how tyrannosaurus skull was shaped. it was very good practice.

and now for triceratops. the majority of triceratops sculptures made are often based off of triceratops horridus. its the most recognizable for its large bull shaped brow horns and small nasal horn. for a different take, i decided to depict triceratops porosus. the species with the larger nasal horn and downward curved row horns. i'm basing this sculpture on MWC 7584. the largest triceratops specimen. its was definitely an impressive animal. its hips were about twice as wide as stans  :o

it's at about the same stage as the tyrannosaurus. just like the theropod, i created its skull to use as a bases for it's facial details. this is the first time i attempted to sculpt a ceratopsian. it was anything but easy lol. but i think i got it to the point were i can manage with it as a base.

they will be posed in a way that can make them look like their interacting with one another. the tyrannosaurus circling the ceratopsian as the triceratops pivots its body, keeping its business end facing the theropod at all costs.

Pachyrhinosaurus

You look like you're off to a great start! I was planning on doing a similar pairup in the future so it's interesting to see different people's takes on it.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

spinosaurus1

thats awesome. can't wait to see your take on them. :)

i do plan to make the skull, mandible, and body all separate pieces with peg holes for attachment points.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on July 12, 2016, 10:46:43 PM
i do plan to make the skull, mandible, and body all separate pieces with peg holes for attachment points.
Does this mean we'll be seeing these molded/casted?
Save Dinoland USA!

spinosaurus1

hopefully. :)

more progress on the sculpts

Derek.McManus

Very interesting look forward to learning more!

Pachyrhinosaurus

I like the effect on the triceratops. Very loose and reptilian. Did you use a metal tube for the impression? I could never find a tube small enough for the job.
Save Dinoland USA!

spinosaurus1

i actually used bird feathers for the scale impressions. i used a larger feather for the larger scales and a smaller one for the smaller scales. a bit tedious but i'm also loving the effect

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on July 23, 2016, 02:42:37 AM
i actually used bird feathers for the scale impressions. i used a larger feather for the larger scales and a smaller one for the smaller scales. a bit tedious but i'm also loving the effect
That does sound tedious but it looks like it's worth it!
Save Dinoland USA!

Mamasaurus

Oh my, I'm loving the texture on that triceratops!  I never would've thought to use bird feathers to pick out the scales, and it sure is working well.

Really excited to see how this progresses.  :))

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

danmalcolm

These look amazing! Keep up the awesome work, and keep the photos coming. Wow.

Kayakasaurus

These are looking great! Good idea with the feathers, I can't wait to see the head on.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Takama

DO you by chance have the Battat Triceratops?   if so can you show them next to your trike?

spinosaurus1

Quote from: Takama on October 04, 2016, 01:17:07 AM
DO you by chance have the Battat Triceratops?   if so can you show them next to your trike?

unfortunately no. would love to own one though.

as of current besides the feet, the entire left hand side of the trike is done. it took FOREVER to get the verious scales in. but the outcome is worth it, it's coming along nicely

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.