News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dino pumpkins

Started by BlueKrono, October 18, 2016, 05:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueKrono

Pumpkin carving is an art, right? Well, as it happens, I'm a professional pumpkin carver during the month of October, and this year I wanted to do a little tribute to some of my favorite dinosaur figures. Usually my designs are much more complex than this, but what I wanted to pay tribute to was fairly simple. I present to you: the Marx large mold group! I even included the mold lines and mold mark on the backs. Happy Halloween dino toy fans!

The photo:

The line drawing:

Ready for carving:

The carving:

Carving close up 1:

Carving close up 2:

Lit up:

Lit up close 1:

Lit up close 2:

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Kayakasaurus

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Jose S.M.

Derek.McManus

Absolutely fantastic work! How did you get it to light up? Some sort of glowstick?

BlueKrono

Oh, I just shined the light of my smartphone inside it (the top is off in the lit up photos), just like I used to do with a flashlight back in the 20th century.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

stoneage

:)  What is the story on the actual Marx figures at the top?  Did they come that way or have they been painted?

spinosaurus1

Daspletotyrannus

BlueKrono

Thanks all!
Stoneage - I acquired those three from the collection of one Joe DeMarco. The lot of them were on eBay for a ridiculously low price for the three rarest Marx figures, and nobody else bid on them. They are indeed spraypainted - Marx made silver but they never made gold. Rub marks show that the Kronosaurus and the T-Rex were originally dark brown, and the Bronto was the standard Marx seafoam green. I've been trying to find a way to remove the spraypaint and return them to their original colors. Does anyone have any suggestions for doing so by any chance? I'm worried that acetone will melt the plastic; I just don't know how it would react.

BlueKrono

Now with some photos you can actually see... This year I carved three pumpkins, but the only prehistoric of the bunch was the figure I was most elated to acquire this year: the Play Visions Gerrothorax. This was my most wanted figure for years, so to commemorate 2017 I carved it in a pumpkin.

Original photo

Pen and paper

Pen on pumpkin

Carved pumpkin

Carved pumpkin detail

Pumpkin lit up

Pumpkin lit up detail

Neosodon

Cool! I wonder how many trick or treators will know what it is. If some one actually says Gerrothorax you should give them all your candy. :))

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Ravonium

Looks quite good! I like how you showed the process of getting the design on the pumpkin.

Quote from: Neosodon on October 31, 2017, 02:38:47 AM
Cool! I wonder how many trick or treators will know what it is. If some one actually says Gerrothorax you should give them all your candy. :))

Probably very little, since a large proportion of them are young children who 1. Have very little knowledge about non-dinosaurian palaeontology and 2. are targeted at by companies that make inaccurate media (toys, movies, TV shows etc.) about dinosaurs.

This being said, if someone does actually know the species, then just quickly give them all the candy and say "I'm glad I'm not the only one in this neighbourhood who cares about non-dinosaurian prehistoric life."

Lanthanotus

I was thinking the same,.. probably most people think it's some upmade alien monster. Great idea though :) I carved my first pumpkin for years (just finished it) but it's just a common jack o'lantern for my little son.

laticauda