News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

crazy8wizard's chromatic collection

Started by crazy8wizard, August 10, 2023, 08:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard My cats do the same sniffing thing all the time lol.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres My Spaz has done this on a few occassions, but most are generally kept away from her reach. My recent Mattel Borealopelta has been a victim. Thankfully I got pics for the review before she gave it the face bite treatment. Mostly in tact but yeah there is an obvious "scar" in one area.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

TooOldForDinosaurs

Hey! Good to hear one of those plushies found it's way into your home after all.  ^-^

Concavenator

Looks like your cat is thinking the Dromaeosaurus is a worthy opponent!

crazy8wizard

Ahoy there everyone. I'm back with another update post to my collection. I haven't posted one of these since November of last year, so this update is going to be another big one and will encompass December, January, and most of February.
The collection shot this time around contains a much more colorful cast of characters and even a few customs. As usual, extra photos and my thoughts on these figures will be posted below.

Colorful variety, but quite a few Sauropodomorphs this time
Spoiler
Starting off are some horned herbivores from Safari. Two of these three are from the big discontinuation sale. Everything else being discontinued this year I either already owned one of, or we sell in the gift shop of the museum I work at, so only the Uintatherium and Diabloceratops warranted an online order. Zuul I picked up just because I had finally decided to go for it.

I know the majority opinion is that the PNSO Zuul is better but I'm a sucker for figures based on a semi-official piece of art, in this case the illustration from its description.

Next up are two Safari customs that I've actually had for a while, but were WIP customs that I only recently got around to finishing. The Patagotitan I heated up to have its back legs a little more bent and the neck raised up higher. This was going to be a Prehistoric Planet Dreadnoughtus flavored custom but then Collecta announced a legitimate Dreadnoughtus, meaning I don't have to modify this one any further. The paint scheme now is based off of the Patagotitan's designs featured in Titanosaur 3D: The Story of Maximo, meaning this one doubles as a documentary repaint and a museum repaint.

The Nanotyrannus is based off of Junior from Dinosaur Revolution. I gotta say, the safari Nanotyrannus looks a lot better with a refreshed paint scheme, personal bias notwithstanding.

Keeping up the Titanosaur theme, here's the Argentinosaurus and Sciurumimus from Collecta. By pure coincidence I bought the Argentinosaurus in early December, and the Sciurumimus in late February. Bookending with big and small, somewhat reminiscent of Lori the Hesperornithoides being found with Jimbo the Supersaurus.

The Argentinosaurus is certainly dated but I surprisingly love this figure, mostly because all the osteoderms and bumpicles make it so pleasing to hold.

Another sauropod. This ugly duckling is a knockoff of the Carnegie 2012 Brachiosaurus. Notable for being one of the very few Brachiosaurus that we can confidently say is definitely supposed to represent B. altithorax. The American species, or depending on how picky you want to be with the taxonomy, the only true species of Brachiosaurus. I stumbled onto this one online and knew it would make for a great custom without painting over a crazy expensive, hard to find model.

But like the ugly duckling I'm going to do my best to make it into the beautiful swan it should be by giving it a Walking with Dinosaurs flavored paint scheme. I've also been trying to straighten out the neck with the boiling water trick and while it has reduced the sharp bend it originally came with (it was curved into a dramatic u shape, almost 90 degrees from the base) the molding process and the fact it's hollow has left it with a slight bend like the original had, so before painting it I'll be doing a touch of plastic surgery to fix the curvature.

Speaking of figures I intend to customize, here's the Kid Galaxy Coelophysis. I had purchased this one along with the Scaphonyx to customize them into different genera. The Scaphonyx is still being painted, so expect to see it sometime later, but so far this one hasn't even been primed.

For this one I'm going to make the skull a little taller and maybe fix the hands. I'm going to use it as a stand-in for Gojirasaurus. Since Gojirasaurus is so fragmentary and many argue that it might just be Coelophysis, I figure it is really more of a symbolic custom. The Mesaland Dinosaur Museum has a Gojirasaurus model that I may use the color scheme of for the repaint but a corny part of me wants to give it a shin-godzilla inspired color scheme. What do you think?

Keeping up with the Triassic, the Mattel Eoraptor and Poposaurus, both figures I never thought I'd see, let alone from the Jurassic World line, and especially not good from the Jurassic World line. I was super excited when I heard that Mattel would be making a Poposaurus because that would make it the first, and so far only figure representing paleobiota originally found in the Popo Agie formation, which is local to me and one of Wyoming's very scant fossil bearing Triassic formations. Sure, I know it's been found in the Chinle formation too but it's awesome to see local and moderately obscure fossils make it into figure form. Here's to hoping somebody makes a Heptasuchus.

The Eoraptor is also very exciting because Ischigualasto fauna is also rare in figure form aside from some Herrerasaurus figures of varying quality and the remarkably uncommon Dawn of the Dinosaurs set. Before this, every other figure I've seen online has been a mislabeled knockoff, None of which looked like Eoraptor. I've seen mislabels of Indominus rex, Tyrannosaurus, Therizinosaurus, and even Scary Monsters from Jojo's Bizzare Adventure?! (That's not an Eoraptor, that's a Dioraptor!) The figure is a little odd but you know what, I'd take a genuine attempt that ended up weird than a completely different animal.

Freshly hatched Exaeretodon make for a perfect snack!

Next up is a figure I am surprised with how much I ended up loving; The Beasts of the Mesozoic Dilong. I disliked the color scheme when it was still in the concept stages, but after seeing some in hand photos of it, I ended up liking it a lot more. Same goes for the articulation. I thought it would be too similar to the dromaeosaurs and it would feel redundant, but surprisingly only the body is like that. The legs are considerably better at standing and if you're smart about the pose, it can stand unsupported.

Whoever can correctly guess what this pose is paying homage to gets a cookie.

Finally, a recent holy grail of a find. A figure I have been searching for quite some time. The Play Visions Placodus! The Play Visions "marine dinosaurs" set is coveted by many since it was only available for a short time. This set is hit or miss for me, since the Jurassic and Cretaceous sea monsters are a little dated and don't impress me much. The Triassic figures on the other hand (which fortunately, is over half the set!) are awesome and two of them have never had another figure made of them; Mixosaurus and Placodus. What surprised me about this figure is that despite seeing it in photos beforehand, I never noticed that it has blue tipped teeth.

I really like Placodus because it shows that not every placodont had big shells and looked like turtles. Granted, the fact that there's at least 5 unique placodont figures out there is impressive to me.

My army of Triassic sea creature miniatures grows. The Kaiyodo Tanystropheus and PNSO Atopodentatus would really tie it all together (along with the other 5 Triassic minis from Play Visions, hah)
[close]
Tune in next time where hopefully I have some better fabric for the backdrop. The green fleece is fine but the color looks inconsistent depending on lighting. I also have some customs coming so I might make a new thread for that too.

Halichoeres

Nice selection! My Placodus has the blue on the mouth, too, and it's too tidy to be accidental. Maybe it's meant to show it grasping some mollusk or brachiopod?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

crazy8wizard

Hey there folks. I'm back with a collection post but this time it's not anything new. This time I decided to see what it would be like to organize some of my figures into a rainbow color scheme. Unfortunately I don't have much in the way of purple but that's okay because I was running out of room on my set.

If you also have a collection of figures with highly diverse color schemes I'd recommend you try this too! It's a lot of fun.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.