News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Quote from: Sim on October 28, 2017, 12:39:05 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on October 27, 2017, 11:57:51 PM
(and give or take the BotM action figures, though they have a few issues, mostly the primaries not attaching to the second digit, but that's partly due to those parts having separate articulation, I think)

David has said that on those figures the hands and primaries are separate parts for production purposes.  After I asked, he said the primaries will be keyed and glued into the hand, and the primaries and the hand will move as one.  This was in the comments section of this Kickstarter update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/creativebeast/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure/posts/1610842

Ah well that's a shame. I was worried about this being the case, especially after looking at the Dromaeosaurus hands and primaries. That would have been the perfect opportunity for them to be attached to the second digit then. It's not a huge deal breaker though, since they can probably be posed or displayed to have that obscured. At least the figures included in the accessory packs seem to get that detail right at least. Anyways, thanks for the correction Sim.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I thought David meant that the primaries of the larger raptor series figures would be attached to a part of the second finger...  I'm not sure that would be incorrect for these animals, particularly after seeing how the primaries are preserved on the fossil Zhenyuanlong specimen.  Maybe it would be good to ask David for clarification on this on Kickstarter?

Faelrin

Quote from: Sim on October 28, 2017, 03:22:18 PM
I thought David meant that the primaries of the larger raptor series figures would be attached to a part of the second finger...  I'm not sure that would be incorrect for these animals, particularly after seeing how the primaries are preserved on the fossil Zhenyuanlong specimen.  Maybe it would be good to ask David for clarification on this on Kickstarter?
They seem to be attached to the wrist in most of the images, and I believe that was the case when I saw them in person last year. I can ask him though how they're intended to be on the final figures. Here's an example of what I meant in my previous post about the Dromaeosaurus.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

Given how the discussion is continuing, I've replied in the thread for the Beasts of the Mesozoic figures: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3573.msg182745#msg182745

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Reptilia on October 27, 2017, 11:59:12 PM
It's Papo that initially called it young Apatosaurus, can't remember if it was listed on Papo's site as such back when it was released. What I clearly remember is that Papo's sculptor himself said it was the company's will to call it like that, to keep the scale consistent with the Brachiosaurus. But I believe that it wasn't conceived by Mr Seo as a juvenile or subadult at all. In any case now is listed on Papo's site simply as Apatosaurus, so I consider it like an adult, just in a smaller scale then the other sauropod in the line. Unless Papo comes up with a huge Apatosaurus model that automatically becomes the adult counterpart, but I think that is an unlikely eventuality. I would personally prefer another sauropod in a similar scale to the Brachiosaurus. Interestingly enough, being pterosaurs currently discussed in another thread, I recall from the same source, quite possibly that famous interview on Papo Korea's blog, Mr Seo saying he regretted making the Tupuxuara that small.

Speaking of the Papo Apatosaurus, did they ever say what scale it is supposed to be? I heard 1/60 or 1/50 scale.

I want to know because I was thinking of picking this figure up. I tend to prefer my figures to be on the smaller size these days, especially sauropods.

Takama

Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 29, 2017, 10:42:15 PM
It's Papo that initially called it young Apatosaurus, can't remember if it was listed on Papo's site as such back when it was released. What I clearly remember is that Papo's sculptor himself said it was the company's will to call it like that, to keep the scale consistent with the Brachiosaurus. But I believe that it wasn't conceived by Mr Seo as a juvenile or subadult at all. In any case now is listed on Papo's site simply as Apatosaurus, so I consider it like an adult, just in a smaller scale then the other sauropod in the line. Unless Papo comes up with a huge Apatosaurus model that automatically becomes the adult counterpart, but I think that is an unlikely eventuality. I would personally prefer another sauropod in a similar scale to the Brachiosaurus. Interestingly enough, being pterosaurs currently discussed in another thread, I recall from the same source, quite possibly that famous interview on Papo Korea's blog, Mr Seo saying he regretted making the Tupuxuara that small.

Speaking of the Papo Apatosaurus, did they ever say what scale it is supposed to be? I heard 1/60 or 1/50 scale.

I want to know because I was thinking of picking this figure up. I tend to prefer my figures to be on the smaller size these days, especially sauropods.

Brontodocus lists it at 1:50 -1:40

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Takama on October 29, 2017, 10:48:47 PM
Quote from: tyrantqueen on October 29, 2017, 10:42:15 PM

Brontodocus lists it at 1:50 -1:40

Thanks- that's too big for me. Guess I'll keep looking.

tanystropheus

The model certainly feels small in my collection. I think it is roughly the size of the Papo Triceratops, but the tail is quite longish.

Reptilia

Yes, body size is comparable to that of Triceratops.

suspsy

Guest reviewers: the blog still needs a review of the cave bear if any of you happen to own it!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.