News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

I'm really excited about the iguanodon, I have the safaris one and it's a 10/10 for me, I love it, but a new, bigger one makes me excited.

Carnosaur

I knew it wouldn't be long before Papo showed us their new figures,
Especially with Safari, Schleich, and CollectA already showing off. :)

suspsy

Quote from: Carnosaur on November 05, 2016, 02:24:46 PM
I knew it wouldn't be long before Papo showed us their new figures,
Especially with Safari, Schleich, and CollectA already showing off. :)

Don't be surprised if official images don't show up until next month. Papo's usually the last company to reveal their new stuff.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Silvanusaurus

Am I going insane, or does the image become slightly clearer each time I visit this thread?

terrorchicken

I like it so far but need a clearer pic to know for sure. I hope their iguanodon isnt too movie monstery. I could use a bigger iguano, I only have the British Museum/NHM ones, both the old and new one.

CarnegieCollector

Wow! I love the Polacanthus! You never see purple dinosaurs! Way to go Papo!
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Shonisaurus

The foxii Polacanthus Papo if good can make a good partner with WWD already out of print. :P

Halichoeres

In spite of their main sculptor revealing things a year or two in advance, Papo consistently manages to surprise. I look forward to a clearer image of the Polacanthus and the promised Iguanodon and Acrocanthosaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Toasaurus

i knew about acro and igunaodon but now plorcanthus  O.O this is going to be a good year

tanystropheus

The Polacanthus reminds me of Tyco's Edmontonia --the Edmontonia was one of my favorite DR models.

The blurry image makes the Papo seem mildly cartoon-like, but I'm pretty sure that it is the resolution of the image to blame.

Also, very curious how the Acro stacks up to the REBOR version. Even if it doesn't quite reach the production values of the REBOR model, it will, at the very least, stand comfy on its two legs.

I'm very pleased with my WS Iguanodon. But one can never have too many Iguanodons in their collection!

DinoLord

Very interesting that Papo will have released three British dinosaurs within two years. Maybe we'll see a Gigantosaurus or Megalosaurus from them in 2018?

sauroid

so there will just be three figures for Papo for 2017?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: sauroid on November 06, 2016, 01:46:13 AM
so there will just be three figures for Papo for 2017?

They usually only have three new sculpts each year. Plus there are probably a few repaints coming as well.
I am the Dinosaur King!

utd7

These past couple of years I felt a bit underwhelmed from what PAPO brought out especially that Baryonyx which had high hopes for. This Polacanthus looks very interesting and with me being a big fan of the armoured dinosaurs will probably buy it along with the Iguanodon and probably Acro too.
We live in a Jurassic World

Daspletodave

The Polacanthus is a must buy. Far superior to the old Walking with Dinosaurs version.

Albertosaurus

It looks awful.  Not Papo quality at all. This might be a mini. The details are not what Papo usually delivers. The wrinkles and folds on the skin are not detailed enough,as if the figure was really small. Almost no detail on the skin. If this is what Papo is offering this year, they definitely lowered their quality and changed the sculptor. Compare the detail of that thing with the detail on the ankylo. I am really surprised that everyone is saying that it looks good when in looks on par with Schleich.

suspsy

Quote from: Albertosaurus on November 06, 2016, 01:27:36 PM
It looks awful.  Not Papo quality at all. This might be a mini. The details are not what Papo usually delivers. The wrinkles and folds on the skin are not detailed enough,as if the figure was really small. Almost no detail on the skin. If this is what Papo is offering this year, they definitely lowered their quality and changed the sculptor. Compare the detail of that thing with the detail on the ankylo. I am really surprised that everyone is saying that it looks good when in looks on par with Schleich.

It may be better to wait until we see a larger, fully clear image before making that assessment.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

CityRaptor

I can only agree. The pic seems rather blurry and in case of the face also pixilated.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: Albertosaurus on November 06, 2016, 01:27:36 PM

Chill, like everyone else has said I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the image resolution, which makes the figure quality of itself hard to judge. It's nice to have an optimistic view though, and with Papo's normal standard there is no reason not to.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Albertosaurus

No. It is not the image quality. I am talking about details like those terrible looking folds under the neck and the tail. Doesn't look natural,it looks very schleich. This is MY PERSONAL OPINION. Try to respect it as I respect yours.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.