News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Albertosaurus on November 06, 2016, 03:25:56 PM
No. It is not the image quality. I am talking about details like those terrible looking folds under the neck and the tail. Doesn't look natural,it looks very schleich. This is MY PERSONAL OPINION. Try to respect it as I respect yours.

When I look at a 480p screenshot of an Xbox One game, it seems to look like a game originating from the Gamecube era. But, that's my opinion, I suppose.

Tyto_Theropod

No. It is not the image quality. I am talking about details like those terrible looking folds under the neck and the tail. Doesn't look natural,it looks very schleich. This is MY PERSONAL OPINION. Try to respect it as I respect yours.

I was not denying your opinion or, I hope, implying that I was 'right'. I certainly didn't mean to come across as rude or aggressive about my point of view. I was merely arguing that it may be unwise to make such an extreme judgement from a poor-quality image, and in fact I agree that the skin folds seem a little off now you come to mention it, but it may not look like that in person. Feel free to disagree with me, and I do understand where you're coming from having been in the same position last year with the Papo Baryonyx, which received a lot of hype from some other members, but which I personally didn't like. It's fine to think differently about something, and to my mind it is part of the fun of forums like these. You get to see other people's views on something that interests you.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

suspsy

Please take it down a notch. The fact that I and a number of other people disagree with your opinion does not mean that we do not respect your right to have it. It's possible that you're correct, but given that Papo's dinosaurs have had the same level of high quality for more than a decade now, it seems unlikely that they would take a nosedive now. Hence why it's best to wait until official photos are released.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

stargatedalek

I for one agree, the colour scheme while unusual is still rather uninspired and "crayon" toned, combined with the excessive wrinkles really does leave a Schleich like impression. It's nothing to do with image quality or sculpting quality, these sorts of critics are in reference to the design and so are perfectly valid regardless.

Appalachiosaurus

You seem to be confusing "disagree" with "disrespect"

Albertosaurus

Is there a source for the online catalogue? The more I look at it, the less PAPO I see on that figure.

Silvanusaurus

I really like the look of the Polacanthus, but to be honest, I did think at first that it was possibly a new mini figure, the defining of the body appears to have less finnesse and subtlety than most of their standard figures. But if Schleich released a figure that looked like that, I think most of would think it was some kind of glorious miracle.

dragon53

So the rumor of a Papo Giganotosaurus  in 2017 is wrong?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Albertosaurus on November 06, 2016, 08:55:57 PM
Is there a source for the online catalogue? The more I look at it, the less PAPO I see on that figure.

I pass the message with the link that left a forum member Andreioli:

I found the source of the image in esta Chirstmas toys catalog (page 57):
http://en.calameo.com/read/001386983930326427b0a

It's Papo's alright, it's an "Avant premiere", with dimensions and price.
«Last Edit: November 04, 2016 7:07:17 PM by Andreioli»

The news is real I also thought it was a false report but is confirmed in 2017  Polacanthus foxii.

Also announces a phoenix on the next page Papo so it is not a mere rumor.

stargatedalek

That Phoenix is quite beautiful itself, and no one can say it doesn't have enough feathers :P

tanystropheus

Quote from: dragon53 on November 06, 2016, 10:25:35 PM

Perhaps, Papo assumed that the Polacanthus would be more sought after than the Giga? You know, Papo logic.

It's also possible that the Giga was pushed back because WS is releasing a Giga? Or that Giga was a 2018 release? Or gasp* There was never a Giga! Just misdirected tease in the form of a MINI.

Regarding the image of the Polacanthus,

Consider the image of the Baryonyx on their catalog. The promo pic made the Baryonyx look like a friggin 怪獣 kaijū. Well, the actual model was significantly better, despite the presence of trivial inaccuracies and a pose that is arguably peculiar.

The image is very low-quality, and you can barely make out the details on the Polacanthus' legs. The last and most heinous possibility ---The Polacanthus was sculpted by the ousted artist responsible for the marine reptiles and subpar Mammoths.

DinoLord

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 06, 2016, 11:36:55 PMThe last and most heinous possibility ---The Polacanthus was sculpted by the ousted artist responsible for the marine reptiles and subpar Mammoths.

Now that's a thought to make one shudder. I remember on that December day years ago when I was excited to see that Papo had revealed their upcoming releases only to see the plesiosaur...

Flaffy

Quote from: DinoLord on November 07, 2016, 12:22:02 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on November 06, 2016, 11:36:55 PMThe last and most heinous possibility ---The Polacanthus was sculpted by the ousted artist responsible for the marine reptiles and subpar Mammoths.

Now that's a thought to make one shudder. I remember on that December day years ago when I was excited to see that Papo had revealed their upcoming releases only to see the plesiosaur...
We... We don't talk about those anymore... [shudders]

Takama

I remember Horridus First words when he first saw the Tylosaurus in 2011

they were 'OH GOD NO" ;D

Shadowknight1

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 06, 2016, 11:22:19 PM
That Phoenix is quite beautiful itself, and no one can say it doesn't have enough feathers :P
Agreed.  Might be the first non-real world animal I buy from Papo.  Too bad their dragons don't look that good IMO.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: dragon53 on November 06, 2016, 10:25:35 PM
I believe the Giga will be a 2018 release, if I remember correctly. Also, is the mini Giga labelled as a Giganotosaurus or could it be a mini Acro?
I am the Dinosaur King!

hao_bao

From someone who's collected every Papo dinosaur to date, I can confirm that their line is definitely therapod heavy. In fact, the balance of herbivores vs predators is very skewed. I'll post some photos later.

Derek.McManus

I think that the Poloacanthus looks really interesting and I was already looking forward to the Iguanadon so this is looking like a good year from Papo for me! I would also like to echo the call for a Megalosaurus at some point in the future....please!

CityRaptor

Quote from: hao_bao on November 09, 2016, 02:28:43 PM
From someone who's collected every Papo dinosaur to date, I can confirm that their line is definitely therapod heavy. In fact, the balance of herbivores vs predators is very skewed. I'll post some photos later.

That's actually something you see in many lines nowadays.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on November 09, 2016, 03:25:04 PM
Quote from: hao_bao on November 09, 2016, 02:28:43 PM

That's actually something you see in many lines nowadays.

Theropods are way more popular, especially with kids. They probably sell better than the herbivores. I can't blame them really, I love theropods! :P

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.