News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Chronicle Collectibles Jurassic World Owen & Blue

Started by CityRaptor, December 12, 2016, 05:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 14, 2016, 04:00:34 PM
Only jumping in because a particular comment was bothering me heavily. I like dinosaurs, more than sharks even, but Jurassic Park/World did not inspire droves of people to go out and spend the next four decades slaughtering dinosaurs by the hundreds out of fear and paranoia. The author of the original Jaws novel even became a shark advocate when he saw what his story had done to people. Shark populations, white sharks in particular, are only in the past few years even beginning to resemble what they used to on North American coasts (and many are still in decline even in regards to local populations).

Yes, but for as many wanna-be Quints that the movie spawned there were also a good deal of people who emulated Matt Hooper instead. No doubt that Jaws upon its release did a lot of damage to shark populations but I defend Jaws (not just because it's my favorite movie) because I know that it did have a positive impact, I'm an example of that. Those people that Jaws inspired are the shark scientists, marine biologists, and conservationists who are now at the forefront of shark protection.

And the same is true for Jurassic Park, which is what I actually came here to defend. We might be annoyed at the cliches that it created but no one can deny the interest in dinosaurs and science that it created as well. Dinosaurs became popular, which in turn made paleontology popular, museums benefited from increased patronage, people took genuine interest in the subject, and again...a lot of future paleontologists, scientists, and even film makers were created the day they saw this movie. A lot of members here can trace the spark that lit their interest in dinosaurs back to Jurassic Park. The benefits gained from this action/adventure/sci-fi movie far outweigh the negatives.

Also, lets be clear about something. How the general public perceives dinosaurs really is not that important. It's frustrating to us because it's our passion but at the end of the day we're dealing with animals that have been extinct for 65 million years. The dinosaurs don't care. Dinosaurs are a great gateway to science, evolution, and deep time, and their connection to birds is useful in generating interest in nature and conservation but by-and-large it's just not a big deal if people think that Dilophosaurus spat venom or not. Especially when weighed against all of the problems that currently plague our planet, not least of which is the public perception and ignorance of living animals that really need our help, and a positive public image boost.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on December 14, 2016, 10:39:59 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 14, 2016, 04:00:34 PM
Only jumping in because a particular comment was bothering me heavily. I like dinosaurs, more than sharks even, but Jurassic Park/World did not inspire droves of people to go out and spend the next four decades slaughtering dinosaurs by the hundreds out of fear and paranoia. The author of the original Jaws novel even became a shark advocate when he saw what his story had done to people. Shark populations, white sharks in particular, are only in the past few years even beginning to resemble what they used to on North American coasts (and many are still in decline even in regards to local populations).

Yes, but for as many wanna-be Quints that the movie spawned there were also a good deal of people who emulated Matt Hooper instead. No doubt that Jaws upon its release did a lot of damage to shark populations but I defend Jaws (not just because it's my favorite movie) because I know that it did have a positive impact, I'm an example of that. Those people that Jaws inspired are the shark scientists, marine biologists, and conservationists who are now at the forefront of shark protection.

And the same is true for Jurassic Park, which is what I actually came here to defend. We might be annoyed at the cliches that it created but no one can deny the interest in dinosaurs and science that it created as well. Dinosaurs became popular, which in turn made paleontology popular, museums benefited from increased patronage, people took genuine interest in the subject, and again...a lot of future paleontologists, scientists, and even film makers were created the day they saw this movie. A lot of members here can trace the spark that lit their interest in dinosaurs back to Jurassic Park. The benefits gained from this action/adventure/sci-fi movie far outweigh the negatives.

Also, lets be clear about something. How the general public perceives dinosaurs really is not that important. It's frustrating to us because it's our passion but at the end of the day we're dealing with animals that have been extinct for 65 million years. The dinosaurs don't care. Dinosaurs are a great gateway to science, evolution, and deep time, and their connection to birds is useful in generating interest in nature and conservation but by-and-large it's just not a big deal if people think that Dilophosaurus spat venom or not. Especially when weighed against all of the problems that currently plague our planet, not least of which is the public perception and ignorance of living animals that really need our help, and a positive public image boost.

That's such an important point. There are so many basic scientific facts (or theories so thoroughly and strongly supported that it feels disingenuous to not call them facts) that people either haven't been exposed to or refuse to accept. Whether Velociraptor had feathers is way, way down the list of things I desperately want the public to know. I want people to understand basic thermodynamics, the mathematics of infrastructure, enough about genetics to distinguish a useful application of recombinant technology from a frivolous or counterproductive one, enough about health to recognize the value of vaccines and the responsible use of antibiotics, and about a hundred other things.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Smilodon P.

Reactivating an old topic, because it's just a teaser.

But it seems that Chronicle Collectibles plan to launch a 1/12 scale kickstarter for Jurassic World figures:

https://chroniclecollectibles.com/blogs/news/hold-on-to-your-butts

https://mailchi.mp/10990734e98f/jw-112-figures-ks

(Possibly, they will be much more expensive than those of the Amber Collection)  :P

Loon

I'm sure these will be ungodly expensive. And those joints, ugh, why do western action figures have to have such awful looking articulation?

Faelrin

Not gonna lie I feel like the Mattel Amber Collection one looks better, at least in terms of the color palette (I mean this does look to have more accurate striping, etc). Maybe it is just the lighting they went with but it looks kind of washed out in some way to me. I'm also wondering how much articulation this will have. Kind of looks like less then the Amber Collection figure but hard to tell. Props though for getting the claw color right. I'm not going to be surprised if the price is more then the Mattel one either, if at least because of the slightly more complex paint app from the looks of it.

Now what would really win me over is if they can do a classic JP raptor (including head sculpt) accurate to the maquette or animatronic, etc color scheme. Granted I'd be up for TLW and JPIII ones as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Isn't Chronicle Collectibles known for really dodgy paint?
Like the paint quality in promo images are always miles ahead of the actual in-hand products.

The head from this angle looks oversized as well.

CityRaptor

A really expensive figure that does not look good? That's a lot money I can save!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.