News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Does this exist? (realistic dinosaur coloring pages)

Started by Nanuqsaurus, December 21, 2016, 06:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Hey all,

I'm looking for something, and I'm not sure if it exists. But if it exists, someone on this forum has probably heard of it. :)

I like to speculate about dinosaur coloration, and I would love to color in some dinosaur art, but I'm not a very good artist. So I was wondering, is there any scientifically accurate dinosaur line-art to color in? Of course there are a lot of these things for children, but those are mostly cartoony dinosaurs. I'm searching for something like Scott Hartman's skeletal drawings, but with fleshed out dinosaurs instead of just skeletons. :P Kinda hard to describe it, sorry. I hope you understand what I mean and that something like this exists! :D

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Maybe what you could try is to trace some of the skeletals and then just worry about the colors and details? I've seen multiple people do that.

EarthboundEiniosaurus
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

CityRaptor

There is a Dinosaur Coloring Book by William Stout. Came out this year.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Archinto

I would look into coloring books that are aimed towards adults vs for children. They tend to be a lot more in depth and detailed. Check out the major book retailers, I did a general search and saw that barnes & noble carries quite a few.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Archinto on December 21, 2016, 07:46:27 PM
I would look into coloring books that are aimed towards adults vs for children. They tend to be a lot more in depth and detailed. Check out the major book retailers, I did a general search and saw that barnes & noble carries quite a few.

I know coloring books for adults exist, but I've never seen one with dinosaurs in it. But I'll look into it, thanks!

The Atroxious

When I was a young child, about fifteen to twenty years ago, I came upon a duo of coloring books at an exhibit of animatronic dinosaurs in a local mall called (I think) Dinosaurs Alive! that also featured activities for kids and booths selling dinosaur paraphernalia. The coloring books were sold at one of these booths, and featured high-quality and scientifically accurate (for the time) dinosaur illustrations, which I had never before seen done for a coloring book. The books were called Dinosaurs of the Jurassic and Dinosaurs of the Cretaceous, and I remember being blown away by the art because it was more along the lines of what you'd see Greg Paul doing than what you expect from a coloring book, and I pestered my dad into purchasing them. The cover of Dinosaurs of the Jurassic had a picture of a brown Dilophosaurus on it, and I think Dinosaurs of the Cretaceous had a picture of a Tyrannosaurus on it, though I can't remember what color it was. The first page of each book had pictures of a very 50's style couple and their house and car, used as a scale comparison with a bunch of different types of dinosaurs. Unfortunately, though I kept them throughout the years, I have no idea where these books are at present, and I cannot remember the name of the artist or publisher, but I write this in the hopes that someone else here has these books and can direct others to them. I tried searching for them on Google, but with no luck. Apparently "Dinosaurs of the Jurassic" and "Dinosaurs of the Cretaceous" are too generic for title searches to not give me a million irrelevant results.

To be honest, I'm also curious where I might be able to find these again, since I'd like to get my hands on fresh copies that I haven't scribbled all over with crayons and Crayola colored pencils. If it helps at all, I live in the U.S., and I have my doubts that these books went international.

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 21, 2016, 07:06:26 PM
There is a Dinosaur Coloring Book by William Stout. Came out this year.

I had no idea this existed. I really, really like William Stout's work, and this is something I'd want to get my hands on, so thanks for mentioning it!

PumperKrickel

deleted

Viergacht

I could draw you something! What species are you interested in?

DinoLord

I recall (now less active) reviewer and forum member griffin once did a coloring book for a museum somewhere some years ago. It was probably discussed on the old forum.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Viergacht on December 22, 2016, 10:07:21 AM
I could draw you something! What species are you interested in?

Really? That would be awesome! :D I was thinking about Allosaurus, because I want to repaint an Allosaurus figure but I'd like to test some color schemes first.

Neosodon

If you just google allosaurus drawing you should be able to find something decent like this that you can print out and color.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

The Atroxious

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on December 22, 2016, 02:26:00 AM
Do you mean these books by Jan Sovak?
https://www.amazon.com/BOOST-Dinosaurs-Jurassic-Coloring-Educational/dp/0486494314/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482373197&sr=8-1&keywords=Boost+Dinosaurs+Of+The+Jurassic+Era+Coloring+Book
https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Coloring-Book-Jan-Sovak/dp/0486469875/ref=pd_cp_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VQG7YZZ2WVZPYQVR2E4T

Nope. I thought it was those too, but the ones I had were quite a bit different. My Dinosaurs of the Jurassic had a teal-colored cover with no background, and it depicted the Dilophosaurus' head in profile. I bought the Jan Sovak books a while back because I thought they might be the same with replaced covers, but the pictures inside were not even close to the books I remembered.

Viergacht

Here you go: http://viergacht.deviantart.com/art/Allosaurus-line-art-653107593
There's a download button at the right to get it full size. I kept it fairly generic looking - hope you enjoy using it!  :D

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Viergacht on December 24, 2016, 06:22:38 PM
There's a download button at the right to get it full size. I kept it fairly generic looking - hope you enjoy using it!  :D

Seriously you just made that? :o It's freaking amazing! A big thanks, I certainly will enjoy using it! :))

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Quote from: Viergacht on December 24, 2016, 06:22:38 PM

What an awesome drawing! I checked out your DA page and dropped a couple favs on ya. ;)
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Viergacht

GasmaskMax

I believe Fred Weirum AKA FredTheDinosaurMan did a mostly accurate full length coloring book and sold it on Amazon. I remember a sauropods feet were off and I have no idea it its still for sale but it seems the best option for your search.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: