News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Bullyland: new for 2017

Started by Takama, January 03, 2017, 08:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takama

Well there are two new models being made by them, and both of them are resculpts of species they did in the past.

Archeopteryx With movable wings

And some creature i NEVER heard of before called Triceratops

Production Photos
Archeopteryx

Triceratops

MLMjp

Guess this means that Bullyland is dead for the collector market and now is just making children toys.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Archeopteryx isn't too bad really. That Trike was based on a Philippine statue of a bad JP knockoff..ugh

Roselaar

Well, at least there's something from Bully this year. I like the bird well enough (though I fear stability issuesm unless it comes with an unpictured base). The Trike is simply boring.

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's nice to see something at all but I think I'll stick with my old archaeopteryx.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CityRaptor

Oh my. They are not improving. I wonder if that has to do with the pressure they get from Schleich  ( who dominates the market in Europe ) and their own partnership with Disney. While one sees Bullyland more often in stores, those are mostly their Disney & Pixar figures ( you know, like that mutant lady with the ice powers, that furry rabbit, the hideously deformed thing called Arlo and his hideous sidekick and most recently some tattooed guy ), it is however Schleich who got the Marvel license. So yes, Dinosaurs are probably not their top concern right now.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 03, 2017, 08:58:51 PM
It's nice to see something at all but I think I'll stick with my old archaeopteryx.

I feel the same way--I already have two (the original blue, and the later green one) and they will suffice!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SBell on January 03, 2017, 11:34:38 PM
Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 03, 2017, 08:58:51 PM

I feel the same way--I already have two (the original blue, and the later green one) and they will suffice!

What I said I'll stay with the old Archeopteryx. On the other hand I am not surprised the attitude of Bullyland since they were seen that unfortunately they have thrown the towel.

On the other hand, its figures are destined today for the purely toy market for children and not for collectors. I guess they were not profitable the marketing of their figures especially before the entry of competitors like Papo, Collecta or Rebor.

Anyway it was a great company in its time and I remember its figures without going further its excellent lambeosaurus and what is said is a pity that the company has almost disappeared.

The triceratops is obviously intended for purely child consumption and can not be blamed. If they did not sell animal figures in general, it is only logical that they focus on the world of comics and Disney movie figures. I sincerely understand them. At least they have been more realistic than other companies that unfortunately make many of them of ugly quality and that sincerely if they wanted they could make good figures (obviously I mean Schleich) but without saying that their figures were superior to that mark Placed in parentheses in many cases.

stargatedalek

I prefer it over the older Bullyland Archeopteryx (especially the wings which are much more accurate), but there are much better representatives available.

SpartanSquat

I feeled before some company was missing and was Bullyland!
Archaeopteryx: I prefferd the old one and there are much better representation of this creature in the market.
Triceratops: If you think Schleich make bad dinosaurs, think twice with this. Even I preffered the t-rex and liopleurodon of the last year.

Flaffy

Still remember the glory days where Bullyland actually made decent and obscure figures?
Still hunting for the old triassic models.

sauroid

that Archaeopteryx really looks awful. maybe since Schleich is overshadowing Bullyland too much especially in Germany that they dont want to bother to improve their products, and since Schleich is making so many bad figures anyway, they didnt bother to make an effort.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

AcroSauroTaurus

They both look really bad... :( I lost hope in Bullyland last year, and it looks like it will be continuing. They've lost my interest, because they're now worse than Schleich...
I am the Dinosaur King!

Shonisaurus

From what I was told by sellers about their line of animals, including the prehistoric ones, was that these figures were not sold, and what really brought them profits were comic figures and Disney films. It's the sad reality.

That does not mean that he longs for his arizonasaurus, batrachonomus, paratypotorax and his magnificent mastodontosaurus among other figures.  :(

Roselaar

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on January 04, 2017, 03:38:35 AM
Still remember the glory days where Bullyland actually made decent and obscure figures?
Still hunting for the old triassic models.

No bad news then, since now you don't have to hunt for new decent and obscure figures! ;)

terrorchicken

bo-ring! I miss old Bullyland dinos.
funny thing is I recently got their Leadbetter's cockatoo and giraffe(the one with the curved neck) and I love them! I was kinda hoping they'd do more birds next year. Oh well.

Tyto_Theropod

It would at least have been nice to acknowledge what we know and have at least some black on the Archaeopteryx. Oh well, much as I love my little proto-birds it looks like I'm sticking with just my WS one for this year. I can see myself buying it for a child to play with, but the less said about the trike the better. There are just so many better options on the market that are both toys and at east reasonably accurate. I may sound harsh here, and I'm sorry about that, but I just feel that the 'it's good as a toy' argument is a little over-used, because don't the next generation deserve accuracy too? After all, these toys are supposed to be educational to some extent. oh well. RIP museum-standard prehistoric mammals, I guess. We'll miss you... :'(
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

CityRaptor

I agree. As does Mark Witton:
QuotePerhaps the most concerning issue is that many outreachers and merchandisers use young demographics as an excuse for low scientific standards and sensationalism, promoting outdated, erroneous and sometimes idiosyncratic views of palaeontology because their audience is too young and insufficiently educated to know otherwise, or ignoring scientific data where it might curb child appeal. I am sure most readers can think of numerous examples of products - many labelled as 'educational' - which show evidence of this, and it's easy to see how this attitude may play a major role in perpetuating outdated and erroneous ideas about the past.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 04, 2017, 09:15:19 PM
I agree. As does Mark Witton:
QuotePerhaps the most concerning issue is that many outreachers and merchandisers use young demographics as an excuse for low scientific standards and sensationalism, promoting outdated, erroneous and sometimes idiosyncratic views of palaeontology because their audience is too young and insufficiently educated to know otherwise, or ignoring scientific data where it might curb child appeal. I am sure most readers can think of numerous examples of products - many labelled as 'educational' - which show evidence of this, and it's easy to see how this attitude may play a major role in perpetuating outdated and erroneous ideas about the past.

Not only that, but also things which don't seem to make the animal any cooler, for example giving a Ceratopian elephant feet rather than those strange 'hands' that they have. As a kid I always wanted to know more than the dinosaur books aimed at my age group seemed to tell me, and knowing things like that would have really pleased me, especially if I could look at a toy and see what they were talking about. I didn't just have my plastic dinosaurs roaming the carpet and eating each other - I also looked to them as representations of what the real thing would have been like, just like with toys of modern animals (...and this is why the adult me loves Wild Safari!). I think the trouble is that because you can't just get some pictures of Triceratops roaming Africa, sculptors don't bother to reference and just make what they think the dinosaur looks like - which is often based on outdated or sensationalised portrayals. Even getting advice from a palaeontologist isn't necessarily a solution, because they tend to be more familiar with the bones than with current portrayals of the living animal.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

CarnegieCollector

Poor bullyland...
It's seems like they are slowly going extinct  :(
Is there an alternate universe in which dinosaurs collect figures of people?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.