News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Plush Dinosaurs

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, January 04, 2017, 05:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Viergacht on January 07, 2017, 05:03:05 AM
Thankie! It's actually faux fur, it does a great feather impression, though.

Awesome it does!  Much safer than real too..I had a Raptor once with real feathers and moths ate them like crazy.

Quote from: Soup on January 07, 2017, 05:31:09 AM
That's a nice pterosaur!

It's pretty cool, stiff like a figure but plush.  close to 24" wide i think.  I looked on ebay but couldn't find another to confirm it's identity.

Derek.McManus

My son has a blue version of the plush triceratops from the reopened Ulster museum and is very fond of it!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I can't recall what this guy's name was. I got him at Kmart around 1990 or so, he's about 3' long and i carried him everywhere, even started putting a leash on him lol

Soopairik

What do you say to someone who makes fun of you for still having plushies?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Soup on January 07, 2017, 09:16:30 PM
What do you say to someone who makes fun of you for still having plushies?

not been an issue yet, though i don't have many close friends lol

i guess i would ignore them and/or they wouldn't be my acquaintance for long.  I still have family that shakes their heads about my love for dinos in general...i usually remind them about the JP Carnotaurus I bought for .50 and sold for 350.00  ;)

The Atroxious

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 07, 2017, 05:36:53 AM
It's pretty cool, stiff like a figure but plush.  close to 24" wide i think.  I looked on ebay but couldn't find another to confirm it's identity.

I'm almost certain that its an Applause pterosaur. The style is very distinctive, and I did a quick search on Google that turned up a couple of pictures like yours.

Regarding the original topic, I have a 12" Hansa griffon vulture, but it's the only dinosaur plush I really keep as part of my collection. When I was a wee thing I had a couple Applause dinosaurs myself, and later I had a JP Velociraptor that I played with as a lizardman since at the time my interest in dinosaurs had waned. I strongly suspect they're still in a closet at my dad's though, so in that sense I still have them. I do have a few beanbag toys I got from my uncle (duckling, parrot, Tyrannosaurus wearing a fishing hat) but I'm not sure if those count towards this thread.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think another member shared one once, I cut the tag off mine when little as it was distracting.. lol

Birds are dinosaurs so..we'll count em! lol

stargatedalek

I still remove tags from the very occasional plush animal I purchase.

Aside from soft coated animatronics, I really only buy "Audubon Birds" anymore. These little chibi birds with speakers in them that play recorded calls. And even those I only buy second hand.

I still have a lot in storage I didn't sell, either because they were sentimental or because I thought I may find a use for some of the nicer quality ones someday. The only extinct dinosaurs I can think of are the JP Dakin Dilophosaurus and Parasaurolophus.

A year or so ago I was making plush animals for school. So I have a 1:1 pigeon and blue heron along with a mostly finished Spinosaurus sitting around too.

I still want to find the Hansa Bustard someday.

Blade-of-the-Moon

My grandmother had one of those, can't recall the name but it's orange and black with some white?

I like Hansa's items, but their dinosaurs..ouch.   I have their seagull for our pirate themed area and I did have their rat for our Velociraptor exhibit, but it was stolen recently.

Feel free to post some pics if you like!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Anyone know if Phoenix Toys is the same as Applause?   I think my Pteranodon might be Phoenix Toys instead, they look really similar to applause though :

Archinto

the phoenix dolls are better quality than the applause ones. I bet thats what your lil flyer there is.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Archinto on January 08, 2017, 11:00:56 PM
the phoenix dolls are better quality than the applause ones. I bet thats what your lil flyer there is.

That's feeling i'm getting too.  I had the yellow " karate" rex there too at one time, but i also had the Applause Apatosaurus..to me they were all the same at the time lol

Archinto

I never knew the different brands either as a kid, but I do remember seeing the nice ones and thinking the applause ones looked cheaper in comparison.
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Blade-of-the-Moon

they do look more detailed. just cant find much on them.  looks like the line was called prehistoric classics ?

EmperorDinobot

Oh oh! This means I'll have to get mine out and take pictures!!!

CityRaptor

I think there is also a book that allows one to make plush dinosaurs somewhere.

Anyone heard of Evolvems?
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=4669
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on January 09, 2017, 01:24:41 AM
Oh oh! This means I'll have to get mine out and take pictures!!!

Go for it!

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 09, 2017, 09:37:06 AM
I think there is also a book that allows one to make plush dinosaurs somewhere.

Anyone heard of Evolvems?
http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=4669

Those are neat!

BlueKrono

A Pakicetus plushie? Tempting!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

EmperorDinobot

Oh wow those are indeed sweet.

Halichoeres

What a fun thread! I'm sometimes tempted to pick up a few prehistoric fish that have been made as plushes but not as plastic toys, but I'm not sure where I'd put them. At least they're highly compressible.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.