News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mojo Fun New for 2017

Started by Silvanusaurus, January 09, 2017, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

As bad as these are, it's easy to forget they're an immense improvement over previous years.

Reptilia

You can dislike the style, but there's a pretty fine detail going on. Easily better than Schleichs.

Silvanusaurus

Comparing these to past figures, there is a pretty substantial step up in quality (even if it's not through originality), certainly a greater improvement than any Schleich has made from one year to the next. All three of these theropods are better than the Schleich equivalents by some distance. Surely nobody was even expecting them to come out with anything half-way decent anyway?
Also, in what way is the Allosaurus a knockoff of the Papo? Other than being spiky, it doesnt look much like the papo at all, i'm genuinely confused. It doesnt look great in itself, but describing it as a knockoff seems kind of ridiculous.

AcroSauroTaurus

And the Hyaenodon is getting a repaint.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Flaffy

One of the main reasons why I liked their hyaenodon was because it wasn't a WWB ripoff.
Now... (sighs)

ItsTwentyBelow

That doesn't really detract from it still being the nicest Hyaenodon figure on the market by far, though. I see a row of must be fresh Entelodon behind them too, which is an encouraging sign because I thought Mojo retired their mammals! Maybe we will see new releases from that sculptor some time in the future?

These new theropods are at least somewhat charming, and possibly a step in a better direction for this company...

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 10, 2017, 12:06:37 AM
As bad as these are, it's easy to forget they're an immense improvement over previous years.

I totally agree.

I'm not sure why Mojo retired from their glory days. I picked up the set of the prehistoric mammals. They are easily some of my favorites.

Reptilia

For Rexy they clearly took Hasbro's stomping rex for reference. As a JP/JW T-Rex I think only Papo and Rebor versions are superior, as far as PVC figures go.

sauroid

yep, some improvements, but still not good enough.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

Very disappointing that there's no new prehistoric mammals. :(
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Megalosaurus

I agree that this sculpts are an improvement over the last year offerings.

I'll buy that hyaenodon repaint and the monster allosaurus (I like the paint sheme).

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Halichoeres

Not bad by Mojo standards, but these are a hard pass as far as I'm concerned.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on January 10, 2017, 12:59:24 AM
And the Hyaenodon is getting a repaint.

Will have to buy the repaint.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

RobinGoodfellow

First picture of the 2017 Mojo Rex (from FB ):

( Papo style, of course...  ;) )

Flaffy

The Atroxious

Eh, I kind of like it, all things considered. I mean, it's nothing to write home about, and I'm almost certainly not going to buy it, but it's better than the Schleich Tyrannosaurus. This is more of a Recur-level figure. It's not top of the line, but it's not a terrible sculpt either.

Shonisaurus

The Tyrannosaurus Mojo is a knock-off figure copy of Tyrannosaurus Papo (a bad copy).

As for its repainted hyaenodon is a clear improvement with those exotic stripes on its back.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 11, 2017, 11:57:11 AM
As for its repainted hyaenodon is a clear improvement with those exotic stripes on its back.

..well, it's taken from BBC Walking With Beasts..

The AAA version has black stripes but the color scheme is the same..

sauroid

i would like to see better shots of the bigger T. rex and Allosaurus.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

BlueKrono

Man, it always comes back to the "Walking With" series, doesn't it? I wonder if the animators knew when they created them how much their models and color schemes would influence paleoart in the future?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.