News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO new for 2017

Started by acro-man, January 10, 2017, 07:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

And of course one needs to factor in potential customs charges.

Rathalosaurus

This is an amazing representation of the Tyrant King. I really love it, even more than Safari. I think if this one and Safari were on scale (are they?) they would go very nicely as the Safari being the feathered male - like a peacock - and this one being the female (yeah, Wilson, but still...).

The price tag for this one, however, is reaaaaally heavy. I don't know if this one's affordable for me at all.
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

sauroid

maybe it is expensive because of the extras (book, postcards etc). and the actual figure is just around $50-60.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

RobinGoodfellow

I'm not happy about the price but I think it will decrease during the next months.
And it's not a toy: figure + detailed base + booklet + postcards.
Favorite Trcic Rex is bigger than PNSO (1:24 - 48cm) but it's less detailed; price?  125£ (http://www.dinosaurtime.co.uk/Shop/Replica-Dinosaur-Models/Michael-Trcic/1441-Michael-Trcic-Tyrannosaurus.html#LargePic )
You get what you pay for... sad but true..

ceratopsian

Quote from: sauroid on January 12, 2017, 12:53:53 PM
maybe it is expensive because of the extras (book, postcards etc). and the actual figure is just around $50-60.

I thought of that too - but as the book is the Chinese edition, it's not so useful here as a selling point.

RobinGoodfellow

PNSO announcement of Facebook:

"Looking forward to something stunning for the opening of 2017?
Here you go!!
PNSO Tyrannosaurus Wilson is now on Amazon!
Belonging to a brand new line called PNSO Dinosaur Stories: The Making of Dinosaurs, it intends to show the intriguing prehistoric world in both aesthetic and professional aspects.
The set comes with a 1:35 scaled reconstruction model, 4 beautiful postcards, a letter from our science fairy-tale writer Mrs. Yang Yang, and an elaborately made science art research book.
Check it out! "

tanystropheus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 12, 2017, 12:23:57 PM
Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on January 12, 2017, 11:03:47 AM
£109.99 is just outrageous.

...honestly I never thought that its price could be lesser than that...  ::)

Wonderful, there goes my dreams... :'(

Killekor

Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

DinoLord

I bet a lot of that price is due to international markup. Is this vinyl like the other figures or resin?

ceratopsian

According to the specs on Amazon, it's PVC, same as the Triceratops (and presumably the others).

Dobber

Anyone know why PNSO is not back on Amazon.com yet? Last we heard there was some error but they are still not officially back there.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

I think I'll wait on some more bigger vinyl pieces.

Simon

Just placed my order with Amazon.co.uk for this TRex.

The free shipping to the UK feature (plus 20% discount) applies to the USA too - the figures are shipped from China, so it appears that these discounts are universal. FYI.

stargatedalek

Been trying to avoid being a downer, but if no one else has anything negative to say I might as well get it over with in one go :P

None of these problems are related to the skill of the sculpt, all of these are design based.

No eyelids. A friend pointed this out to me, and I can't un-see it.

I get the teeth shouldn't be perfectly aligned and even but they stick out in directions they shouldn't be able to. Some of them look to be entirely free of their roots and either hanging loose from the gums or drilling upwards into the skull in order to be at these angles.

The tail is far to fluid. Tyrannosaurus may not have had the sort of stiffening dromaeosaurs had but it still wasn't an eel.

People can say it isn't shrink-wrapped, but the pubic boot and underside of the tail say otherwise. Albeit not particularly severely.

It's over-textured. All of these extra detailed scales and wrinkles are too well defined, which to my eye makes it look ghoulish. Almost like the flesh beneath the skin is rotting away and stretching in unnatural patterns.

It doesn't have feathers. I get the previous PNSO Tyrannosaurus could scarcely be considered as feathered, but at least they pretended to care about being accurate with that one.

There is nothing wrong with retro or sci-fi dinosaurs, but this is a line being produced by a museum, and as such I expect better than this.

MLMjp

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 12, 2017, 09:04:26 PM
Been trying to avoid being a downer, but if no one else has anything negative to say I might as well get it over with in one go :P

None of these problems are related to the skill of the sculpt, all of these are design based.

I get the teeth shouldn't be perfectly aligned and even but they stick out in directions they shouldn't be able to. Some of them look to be entirely free of their roots and either hanging loose from the gums or drilling upwards into the skull in order to be at these angles.

The tail is far to fluid. Tyrannosaurus may not have had the sort of stiffening dromaeosaurs had but it still wasn't an eel.

People can say it isn't shrink-wrapped, but the pubic boot and underside of the tail say otherwise. Albeit not particularly severely.

It's over-textured. All of these extra detailed scales and wrinkles are too well defined, which to my eye makes it look ghoulish. Almost like the flesh beneath the skin is rotting away and stretching in unnatural patterns.

It doesn't have feathers. I get the previous PNSO Tyrannosaurus could scarcely be considered as feathered, but at least they pretended to care about being accurate with that one.

There is nothing wrong with retro or sci-fi dinosaurs, but this is a line being produced by a museum, and as such I expect better than this.

How are you able to tell that this figure does not have eyelids? I have never ever seen anyone saying anything about eyelids in regards of dinosaur models.

spinosaurus1

the tails articulation looks fine to me. that plus the bulk of the tail does appear accurate. i really don't see any photos of the figure in a pose that actually provides insight to how thick the bottom of the tail is. but at least from the photo below, it looks like theres plenty enough girth depicted

i more or less agree with everything else however. while i do like the paint scheme, and i personally don't make a huge deal if a figure is completely scientifically accurate. there's something about the tyrannosaurus that... looks off to me. i don't know. it might be the over wrinkled and over textured nature of the figure that is preventing me from making this purchase. it's a hesitant pass for me

Simon

A few comments re: your critique:

No eyelids?  This is a fairly small model, I don't know how you could even see them in a sculpt this small.

Teeth:  I agree to the extent that it looks that the very front upper jaw small teeth weren't glued in properly in this particular model - they are bending backwards.  Hopefully that will be corrected in the produced models, but if not, I am fairly certain I can fix it with little to no trouble.

Tail too fluid:  Believe me, this is one thing that I would be real sensitive to, but to me, looking at the overhead photo, it does not seem like the bend is unnaturally radical - looks well within the acceptable range of motion to me.

Shrink wrapping:  Doesn't look like it to me.  Looks pretty "bad arse thick" all over.  ;)

Over-textured:  I might agree if the scales appeared to be rendered too large, but to me they look small enough, giving a realism that is otherwise missing from most TRexes, even the recently released huge Sideshow TRex.

No feathers:  OK, here I must confess to being somewhat puzzled by the disappointment I sense in your critique - if you have to make an assumption about feathers in a TRex, it is the safe position to render a full-grown TRex without them because a. there is zero evidence for them, and b. it lived in a tropical/subtropical environment, and c. it weighed 5-7 tonnes, hence it would have been unlikely to need them for thermoregulation unlike some of the smaller and earlier Chinese Tyrannosaurids that lived in more temperate climates. Personal preference is fine of course, but really, as fine a sculpt as it is, a TRex like the recent Wild Safari version is more likely to be inaccurate in that regard than this one.

"Retro or sci-fi dinosaurs" - Are we looking at the same model?  Forgive me, but I see no basis for this swipe at this model.  I see a hyper-detailed, anatomically accurate model - where's the retro or "sci-fi" aspect?

I understand that your personal taste might run towards the currently popular Wild-Safari type feathered renderings, (as unlikely as those are based on the currently available evidence of TRex from the fossil record), and that's fine - but that doesn't make this one inaccurate or 'sci fi'.

Since I ordered one earlier today, I'll be happy to take some more photos and post them for reference (unless someone beats me to it).

As far as accurate TRexes go, my view is always "the more the merrier".  Doug Watson has created a superb feathered TRex for folks who prefer that type of reconstruction, and now PNSO has done the same - and more, detail wise - for the traditional reconstruction.

I've said it before and I'll say it again for the younger folks around here - we are living in a true "Golden Age" of dinosaur figures!

Silvanusaurus

I agree completely about the ghoulishness, i think thats what turns me off it. The proportions are great, its very well sculpted, but to me it doesnt look like a healthy, natural animal. Like in this image, to me it resembles more the disturbing visage of the original Godzilla than anything. It looks like a high quality piece, dont get me wrong, i mean its definitely better than the Rebor rex, but it leans too close to that kind of stylisation for my personal taste.

Dobber

Ouch...the price is very steep....even for a Tyrannosaurus nut like me.  :(

I may have still pulled the trigger on one, BUT, for that price I would expect a very well finished piece and after the shoddy paint application on the Trike that I got makes me very hesitant. If the price was near the Trike's price I wouldn't have hesitated on buying one, but for about $115 after discount PNSO's QC leaves something to be desired. Maybe the price will drop a little like the Trikes did.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Simon

Quote from: Dobber on January 13, 2017, 12:20:38 AM
Ouch...the price is very steep....even for a Tyrannosaurus nut like me.  :(

I may have still pulled the trigger on one, BUT, for that price I would expect a very well finished piece and after the shoddy paint application on the Trike that I got makes me very hesitant. If the price was near the Trike's price I wouldn't have hesitated on buying one, but for about $115 after discount PNSO's QC leaves something to be desired. Maybe the price will drop a little like the Trikes did.

Chris

Once it pops up on the Tao Bao Chinese auction site it will probably be a bit cheaper direct from there - I checked earlier today and could not find it on Tao Bao - then I went to amazon UK and - well, I could not resist ordering it.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.