News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Tomy New for 2017

Started by ItsTwentyBelow, January 13, 2017, 02:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsTwentyBelow

Hello all, was just browsing the webs and discovered that Tomy will be releasing a line of articulated prehistoric figures and playsets in Fall 2017. Definitely went under our radar!

Species include T. rex, Velociraptor, Spinosaurus, Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Triceratops, Ankylosaurus, Pteranodon, Plesiosaurus, and Smilodon (with caveman).  Looks like pretty standard stuff, with the theropods and Triceratops being JP clones, but the Smilodon and Ankylosaurus don't look too bad. Pteranodon maybe has a removable fish in beak? They seem a bit small, though.

Here is a link to the catalog, and the prehistoric figures are shown on pages 135 through 138. I dunno how to link directly to the pages.

http://images.tomy.com/s7viewers/html5/eCatalogViewer.html?emailurl=http://images.tomy.com/s7/emailFriend&serverUrl=http://images.tomy.com/is/image/&config=media/test%5FHTML5%5FeCatalog&contenturl=http://images.tomy.com/skins/&asset=media/2017%2DTOMY%2DUS%2DCatalog%2DNO%2DLS%5Fsm

Flaffy

Oh, all these are actually earlier releases, none from 2017. The line is known as Ania.
The plesiosaur is futabasaurus.
The pteranodon has a removable coelocanth.
The anky is pretty inaccurate, too skinny.

ItsTwentyBelow

Well, there you go.

Have these ever been available in the US before? That could be why they are labeled as new releases.

There are far worse Ankylosaurus available.

DinoLord

Not too bad for what appear to be targeted toward a young demographic, but I'll pass.

stargatedalek

I don't think this line at all was available outside of Japan before now.

Have to say, I hope to find that superb whaleshark in stores.

Flaffy

Haven't heard of any stock of ANIA in the US, but surprisingly, out of all places Hong Kong has plenty in stock, for a few years now actually. The modern critters and special releases are available here as well.
And I can confirm that that whale shark is absolutely beautiful.  :))

sauroid

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on January 13, 2017, 03:09:42 AM
Haven't heard of any stock of ANIA in the US, but surprisingly, out of all places Hong Kong has plenty in stock, for a few years now actually. The modern critters and special releases are available here as well.
And I can confirm that that whale shark is absolutely beautiful.  :))
yes here too. but ive been ignoring them since i dont like their articulation.
(i have some of the TOMY modern animals tho)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

BlueKrono

Yeah, the articulation on all of those is pretty tough to swallow. Very distracting from the overall look.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Libraraptor

Their Velociraptor is a cheek.

Shonisaurus

They look much better than the playmobil and they are also very detailed.

Reptilia

Nice Smilodon, if the jaw is the only articulated part might be interesting. These are made of hard plastic though, right?

Flaffy

Quote from: Reptilia on January 13, 2017, 02:20:04 PM
Nice Smilodon, if the jaw is the only articulated part might be interesting. These are made of hard plastic though, right?
Semi hard.

suspsy

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 13, 2017, 01:41:56 PM

Meh. I'd much rather have Playmobil than these. Bigger, probably more durable, and definitely more play value. Playmobil doesn't really strive for detail in their animal figures.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

stargatedalek

Quote from: suspsy on January 13, 2017, 03:00:15 PM
Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 13, 2017, 01:41:56 PM

Meh. I'd much rather have Playmobil than these. Bigger, probably more durable, and definitely more play value. Playmobil doesn't really strive for detail in their animal figures.
I'd rather have these modern animals than Playmobil's, but the dinosaurs just don't have any charm to them at all like Playmobil's do.

Roselaar

Not very good. That articulation system is just damn ugly.

Halichoeres

I have the Pteranodon, but I bought it just to get its coelacanth.That said, I think they're better action figures than JW, though I'm not sure it's fair to compare them to either that or Playmobil, as I think all 3 are in slightly different niches. In any event I'd like to see Tomy make more gashapons like the Anchiornis from a few years back.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

AcroSauroTaurus

So, apparently Tomy liked Jurassic World... photos are really small.

I am the Dinosaur King!

Halichoeres

New 3D puzzle series from Takara Tomy:

At first I thought these were just silhouettes, but it looks like they actually all come in this safety orange color.

Tyrannosaurus
Tyrannosaurus skeleton
Styracosaurus
Pteranodon
Stegosaurus
Ampelosaurus
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CityRaptor

Aren't those the ones made by Famemaster?
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SBell

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 06, 2017, 10:27:10 PM
Aren't those the ones made by Famemaster?

They are. They are also doing a Sea Life series--also Famemaster recasts. Also monochromatic.

The painted versions are better.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.