News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Loon's "Art" (Needs Improvement)

Started by Loon, January 20, 2017, 06:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

So I've recently started trying to reconstruct prehistoric non-humans in a more "rigorous" fashion. I'm not new to drawing, but I am to this field of art. These first few drawings are to be used as references for more complex illustrations that I plan to do, so they're not super detailed or particularly very good looking. I reconstructed at least 3 parts of the anatomy  (more for creatures with more complex skin coverings). I don't have a scanner to scan these pics into my computer, so I had to take pictures, sorry. I'm sure everyone on the boards knows more than me, so if anyone has any advice on changes to be made, please tell me. 
First up, Dimetrodon grandis:

Every skeletal reconstruction is based on Scott Hartman's work

Musculature

Head

And finally, as of now, the skin covering. I'm very unsure as to what non-skin features to add here. Since Pelycosaurs are mammal-like reptiles, I assume they should maybe have early mammalian traits, but I'm not sure.

Loon

Now, onto the second "drawing," Protoceratops andrewsi:

Based on Scott Hartman's Skeletal reconstruction.

Based on ceratopsian musculature reconstructions.

The final look. If the quills on the tail are accurate, should the quills look thinner? Also, the flap of skin connecting the skin to the tail is based off some paleoart and the reconstruction of the Psittacosaurus model. If this feature is accurate or not, please tell me.

Loon

And now, the most misrepresented theropod, Velociraptor mongoliensis:

Skeleton based on Scott Hartman's reconstruction.

Muscle based on available musculature reconstructions of maniraptors and some predatory avian-dinosaur influence.

Skin covering(NOT FINAL, It's not the 90s anymore), I drew another sketch with feathers, however, I have to redo that one.

danmalcolm

Don't sell yourself short. Sure these drawings aren't as refined as they could be, but I enjoyed looking at them, and I'm sure you enjoyed drawing them. They look accurate to my untrained eyes-though I don't often see velociraptor portrayed as quite that bulky. In any case, good work, keep it up, would be glad to see more. I like seeing the skeleton-musculature-integument stages.

Loon

Quote from: danmalcolm on January 20, 2017, 08:03:18 PM
Don't sell yourself short. Sure these drawings aren't as refined as they could be, but I enjoyed looking at them, and I'm sure you enjoyed drawing them. They look accurate to my untrained eyes-though I don't often see velociraptor portrayed as quite that bulky. In any case, good work, keep it up, would be glad to see more. I like seeing the skeleton-musculature-integument stages.
Thank you. It's a thing, I guess, for people who like to draw to do that. All this new paleoart has made more open to the idea of adding more fat to dinosaurs.
Credit to: John Conway

Killekor

Quote from: Loon on January 20, 2017, 09:11:10 PM
Quote from: danmalcolm on January 20, 2017, 08:03:18 PM
Thank you. It's a thing, I guess, for people who like to draw to do that. All this new paleoart has made more open to the idea of adding more fat to dinosaurs.
Credit to: John Conway

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!! so funny Parasaurolophus!!!

Anyway, this are good drawings

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Loon

I as bored, so I did a quick n' dirty sketch of a very "accurate" T. rex, as a reference for an inaccurate example of a dinosaur. Based on the work of Charles R. Knight, and all that it inspired.

Loon

Hello everyone, I just wanted to post a couple of pictures of some rough sketches I made:
First up, the famous Carnotaurus.

I based the stance off of Scott Hartman's skeletal reconstruction, and added some appropriate muscle and fat to the archosaur. I did go a bit speculative in how concealed I made the arms, I made them relatively exposed due to the range of motion present in the articulated skeleton's arms. I also went a little overboard, maybe, on how thick I made both the neck and tail, due to some info I gathered from The Geek Group's video on Carnotaurus. I have yet to add osteoderms to the back, since I am still trying to figure out where to place them. If anyone can help me make this guy more accurate, please let me know.

Next up, is this featherless Archaeopteryx.

I'm currently working on the final, feathered look; and, thank god I waited, I've finally gotten the knack of the correct way to feather maniraptors.
I consider this the "Thanksgiving" look for archaeopteryx. All joking aside, I'm actually not to sure on how to feather the legs, the famous fossil seems to show feathers down to the dinosaur's ankle, but some reconstructions completely feather the leg, all the way down to the toes. I would also like to know what modern comparisons, bird-wise, would be best to use as references for the feather look of this animal. If anyone could help me with these issues, please let me know.
Thank you for reading/looking.

GasmaskMax

Quote from: Loon on February 09, 2017, 04:32:54 PM
Hello everyone, I just wanted to post a couple of pictures of some rough sketches I made:
First up, the famous Carnotaurus.

I based the stance off of Scott Hartman's skeletal reconstruction, and added some appropriate muscle and fat to the archosaur. I did go a bit speculative in how concealed I made the arms, I made them relatively exposed due to the range of motion present in the articulated skeleton's arms. I also went a little overboard, maybe, on how thick I made both the neck and tail, due to some info I gathered from The Geek Group's video on Carnotaurus. I have yet to add osteoderms to the back, since I am still trying to figure out where to place them. If anyone can help me make this guy more accurate, please let me know.

Next up, is this featherless Archaeopteryx.

I'm currently working on the final, feathered look; and, thank god I waited, I've finally gotten the knack of the correct way to feather maniraptors.
I consider this the "Thanksgiving" look for archaeopteryx. All joking aside, I'm actually not to sure on how to feather the legs, the famous fossil seems to show feathers down to the dinosaur's ankle, but some reconstructions completely feather the leg, all the way down to the toes. I would also like to know what modern comparisons, bird-wise, would be best to use as references for the feather look of this animal. If anyone could help me with these issues, please let me know.
Thank you for reading/looking.
I think a good comparison is to go off a raven or a seabird like a gull or albatross, due to coloration and habitat. Also quick suggestion, would you mind at some point working on a therizinosaurid at some point? I would love to see your interpretation of one!

stargatedalek

Archaeopteryx has known colour preserved, the body was black (potentially iridescent) and the primaries were white or had white marking. The feathers on the legs don't go all the way to the toes, but are very "baggy", would make the legs look thicker, ala Microraptor minus the larger flight feathers.

Loon

Quote from: GasmaskMax on February 13, 2017, 01:27:43 AM
I think a good comparison is to go off a raven or a seabird like a gull or albatross, due to coloration and habitat. Also quick suggestion, would you mind at some point working on a therizinosaurid at some point? I would love to see your interpretation of one!
Thanks for the advice. I liked the idea of trying a therizinosaurid, I've never drawn one before; so, I figured it would be a fun challenge to do in my off time. So, I chose Nothronychus, since it seemed pretty weird, thanks to that hunchback. The specific animal is Nothronychus graffani, from the US.

I based the skeleton off of Scott Hartman's reconstruction.

The musculature was based on that of modern day birds, specifically pigeons, for reasons I'll get into next.

The feathering was interesting; thanks to the very derived maniraptors that therizinosaurs are, they feature many weird traits, including the feathering. I didn't want to traditionally feather the animal, like a dromaeosaur, since this guy's relative, bepiasaurus has been found with feathering rather unlike other maniraptors. The Geek Group has a great video on therizinosaurus, in which Steven discusses their feathering. He compares therizinosaur neck feathers to those of pigeons, due their ability to "fluff" up.

If anyone has any changes they would like to suggest, please let me know. I'm really striving for accuracy in my pictures.

BlueKrono

At that size that would be a really imposing animal! Nature is cool.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Reptilia

I like your fatty Carnotaurus, want to see how the final version turns out.

Loon

I've been thinking a lot about tyrannosaurs recently, so I decided to try my hand at some.

First up, Nanotyrannus, or a juvenile T.rex, pick your poison:

Skeletal outline based off of Scott Hartman's reconstruction

Musculature

Skin, sans feathers

Feathered, based off of a mix of large ground birds: ostriches, emus, cassowaries, etc. Currently using the hypothesis that Nanotyrannus is a junior synonym of rex, so decided to make it more like  juvenile ostriches,etc.

Next up, the mighty Tyrannosaurus rex:

Skeletal based on Hartman's reconstruction of Sue

Musculature wasn't photographed, unfortunately.

Skin, sans feathers.

Still thinking of appropriate feathering for the final look. If anyone has any suggestions for revisions for either of these two, please let me know.

ZoPteryx

These are great!  I especially like the way you "flesh out" the skeletons before adding the integument; I've never taken the time to do that in my drawings, perhaps I should.  ;D  Do you use specific references for the musculature when you add it?

btb300

Really nice drawings, you have a great sense of proportions. That's what I have the most problem with, getting the angles and proportions right, but I guess it only comes with practice. At the moment I am trying to do some nature journalling, partially to get better at drawing :)
For featharing I would recommend to have a look at the drawings of Matt Martyniuk or Emily Willoughby. If you are doing colored drawings of feathered ones, consider the fact, that some colors are produced not by pigments, but rather the microstructure of the feathers, and were probably not present in species with more primitive feathers.
Keep them coming!
Inevitably, underlying instabilities begin to appear.

Reptilia

The Nanotyrannus final rendition is beautiful, would be cool to see a colour version.

Loon

Quote from: btb300 on March 03, 2017, 10:06:18 AM
Really nice drawings, you have a great sense of proportions. That's what I have the most problem with, getting the angles and proportions right, but I guess it only comes with practice. At the moment I am trying to do some nature journalling, partially to get better at drawing :)
For featharing I would recommend to have a look at the drawings of Matt Martyniuk or Emily Willoughby. If you are doing colored drawings of feathered ones, consider the fact, that some colors are produced not by pigments, but rather the microstructure of the feathers, and were probably not present in species with more primitive feathers.
Keep them coming!
Thank you; I am influenced by a good variety of paleoartists, Emily is one of them, however, she seems to stick to maniraptors more than any other group.
Quote from: Reptilia on March 04, 2017, 02:18:41 AM
The Nanotyrannus final rendition is beautiful, would be cool to see a colour version.
Thank you very much, I would love to do a color version myself but I suck at coloring, and it would probably ruin it.
Quote from: ZoPteryx on March 03, 2017, 06:09:54 AM
These are great!  I especially like the way you "flesh out" the skeletons before adding the integument; I've never taken the time to do that in my drawings, perhaps I should.  ;D  Do you use specific references for the musculature when you add it?
It's really hard to answer that one, honestly. Non-avian Dinosaur muscle is often very hard to find good photographic material on, and it really is an "animal-to-animal" kind of thing. There are some easily available references online, picture-wise, but, I tend to use modern birds as a reference, as well as a bit of crocodile, for more distantly related to bird dinos. Hope that helps.

Loon

Well, I've decided to dump a bunch of works-in-progress into this thread, so I could maybe get some feedback on how I'm doing with these. Also, I've been really creatively drained, so I don't know when all of these will get finished; so, I figured I'd post whatI have done so far.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, my phone's on its last legs and...well, it shows...

Note: All skeletals are based on Scott Hartman's work, all credit goes to him.

First up, I've decided to try my hand at some early dinosaurs. These two are just the first of the few I have planned.
The early theropod, Herrerasaurus:

Attempted Herrerasaurus facial reconstruction:

And the earliest known ornithiscian, Pisanosaurus:

Another first, a prehistoric mammal, the Bear-Dog, Amphicyon ingens. I encountered this guy at the Raymond Alf Museum a few weeks ago, and well, I fell in love with him:
Skeletal Based on  Jay Matternes's Reconstruction:

Next up, my first decent attempt at an ankylosaur, the Mongolian Pinacosaurus:

The skeletal is based off of this reconstruction: http://ayay.co.uk/background/dinosaurs/herbivore/pinacosaurus-with-clubbed-tail/

The new look of Stegosaurus, at least based off of the Sophie Specimen:

The gorilla-dinosaur love child known as Iguanodon:

And, fittingly enough, one of the last non-avians, the titanosaur, Alamosaurus:

Well, that's it, for now, leave some feedback if you'd like, any criticism is appreciated. I really do try to strive for accuracy, and I am sure that I slipped somewhere.

Jose S.M.

All I can say it's that those are great! I'm not an expert on dinosaur anatomy, all I can point out is mostly the very obvious inaccuracies, and your art doesn't look like it has those kind of errors.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.