News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

New from Recur for 2017

Started by billharrison, February 20, 2017, 04:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billharrison

I'm friends on FB with James Chan from Recur Toys, and we've chatted several times. He's in the US right now for several trade shows, and has sent me pictures of his new dinosaurs for 2017, which will probably go on sale in May. Here they are:

BlueKrono

I like the Spinosaurus, despite the retro sail and the T-rex hands.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

CityRaptor

Actually a case of the third finger not being visible.

Spino looks half-way between JPIII and modern.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Silvanusaurus

I've seen both worse and better. That is all.

MLMjp

That spinosaurus looks like someone badly photoshoped the papo Spinosaurus and the 2014 reconstruction head resulting in a strange thing with an oversized head.

suspsy

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

billharrison

Spino's head size might be a matter of the fish-eye effect of a cell phone camera. Look at the t-rex. Have to see when the official beauty shot comes out.

Nanuqsaurus

The Tyrannosaurus looks really like the one from Schleich, especially the feet and hands. The raptor and Spino have some cool features, but overall they're a strange mix of accuracy and awesomebro.

spinosaurus1

i'm... honestly not sure weather or not i like that spinosaurus.

Shonisaurus

They are not precisely works of art. Although I have to admit that I have "hooked to those figures" I actually bought in several stores and I do not regret even if they are intended for children for me are better than many Schleich figures with all my respect to Schleich.

Ankylosaurus and spinosaurus do not look bad to me. On the other hand the dromaeosaurido I like more than the utahraptor of Schleich and is not to annoy the fans of Schleich but it is the reality seems to me more realistic and more detailed.

billharrison

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 20, 2017, 06:56:55 PM
They are not precisely works of art. Although I have to admit that I have "hooked to those figures" I actually bought in several stores and I do not regret even if they are intended for children for me are better than many Schleich figures with all my respect to Schleich.

Ankylosaurus and spinosaurus do not look bad to me. On the other hand the dromaeosaurido I like more than the utahraptor of Schleich and is not to annoy the fans of Schleich but it is the reality seems to me more realistic and more detailed.

The fact that the raptor is so big certainly gives them room for more detail. I'm currently collecting bigger sauropod figures and can't wait to get my hands on the brachiosaurus.

Their big mosasaurus is one of my all time favorite figures, just for overall coolness. I'm 64, but I can vividly imagine being 8 years old and having that to play with alongside my knights and army men.

Halichoeres

They do seem to be something of an improvement on their previous releases. If it weren't such a ho-hum assortment of species I might even be tempted by one or two.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

copper

Any more thoughts about their ankylosaurus? It looks interesting to me but Id' really like to hear what people think about it.

suspsy

Quote from: copper on February 20, 2017, 11:00:18 PM
Any more thoughts about their ankylosaurus? It looks interesting to me but Id' really like to hear what people think about it.

Well, it's based on an outdated depiction that borrows heavily from Euoplocephalus. Going with the available fossil material, Ken Carpenter and other paleontologists have concluded that while Ankylosaurus was well-armoured on its back, it wasn't a prickly animal with spikes jutting out from its flanks.

This is why the 2004 Carnegie Collection Ankylosaurus is still the best one even after all this time.

copper

Quote from: suspsy on February 20, 2017, 11:13:01 PM
Quote from: copper on February 20, 2017, 11:00:18 PM

Well, it's based on an outdated depiction that borrows heavily from Euoplocephalus. Going with the available fossil material, Ken Carpenter and other paleontologists have concluded that while Ankylosaurus was well-armoured on its back, it wasn't a prickly animal with spikes jutting out from its flanks.

This is why the 2004 Carnegie Collection Ankylosaurus is still the best one even after all this time.

AH YES the Carnegie Anklylosaurus! I really love that model, almost forgot that I had it because it's still in one of my moving boxes which I haven't unpacked yet.. Maybe it's time my ankylosaurus should get her new colors soon : ) 

sauroid

another issue with Recur is their fluff-filled figures which is quite unappealling IMO.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

Quote from: copper on February 20, 2017, 11:56:08 PM

AH YES the Carnegie Anklylosaurus! I really love that model, almost forgot that I had it because it's still in one of my moving boxes which I haven't unpacked yet.. Maybe it's time my ankylosaurus should get her new colors soon : )

Both the Standard and Deluxe CollectA Ankylosaurus figures also have accurate armour plating, but the same can't be said for their heads and limbs, sadly. I'd love to see them release a new, improved version in either scale. Similarly, I'd love to see Doug Watson tackle the beastie.

Getting back to Recur, I think their T. rex is just plain sad. It's a big step down from their current T. rex, which isn't exactly a masterpiece itself. The Triceratops looks better than the current one, but the horns seem a little too short.

stargatedalek

I actually really want that raptor and Spinosaurus, accuracy be damned I want more big figures. Plus that'll be enough of them to finally get around to ordering their marine life.

BlueKrono

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 21, 2017, 01:47:42 AM
I actually really want that raptor and Spinosaurus, accuracy be damned I want more big figures. Plus that'll be enough of them to finally get around to ordering their marine life.

You must be one of the last people on the forum with any room left at your place.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

stargatedalek

Quote from: BlueKrono on February 21, 2017, 01:57:26 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on February 21, 2017, 01:47:42 AM

You must be one of the last people on the forum with any room left at your place.
Ironically I have more space for large figures than small ones, I try to focus my modern species on 1:1 (easier than it sounds when mammals aren't your thing) as much as possible so that's what I have shelf space accounted for.

And large soft figures like these can be kept just about anywhere.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.