News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

New from Recur for 2017

Started by billharrison, February 20, 2017, 04:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I have found out by diving on the internet that shop.modellpferdeversand.de is starting to market dinosaur figures and prehistoric animals from Recur (the figures are not seen since it is under construction) and besides they are marketing several figures of prehistoric animals of Geoworld and Sell tubes (among them dinosaurs) from Battat Terra.

Sigmasaurus

That Brachiosaurus looks an awful like the Safari one. I wouldn't get it, It's more like a knock off to me.

GasmaskMax

Very much a mixed bag of knock offs, cheaposaurs, and figures that might be worth getting. The triceratops,
incorrect yet decent ankylosaurus, and the raptor colored raptor are I think pretty good, everything else is whatever.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on February 20, 2017, 11:13:01 PM
Quote from: copper on February 20, 2017, 11:00:18 PM
Any more thoughts about their ankylosaurus? It looks interesting to me but Id' really like to hear what people think about it.

Well, it's based on an outdated depiction that borrows heavily from Euoplocephalus. Going with the available fossil material, Ken Carpenter and other paleontologists have concluded that while Ankylosaurus was well-armoured on its back, it wasn't a prickly animal with spikes jutting out from its flanks.

This is why the 2004 Carnegie Collection Ankylosaurus is still the best one even after all this time.

Aesthetically, I prefer the Favorite Collection Ankylosaurus.

Sim

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 12, 2017, 01:54:57 AM

Do you mean the soft model series 2 one?: http://dinotoyblog.com/2013/11/10/ankylosaurus-soft-model-series-2-by-favorite-co-ltd/

I prefer its colour scheme to that of the Carnegie Collection Ankylosaurus, but its head really doesn't look like the distinctive head of Ankylosaurus...  The front half of its snout in particular looks off, with its nostrils misplaced.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Sim on March 12, 2017, 02:26:04 AM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 12, 2017, 01:54:57 AM

Do you mean the soft model series 2 one?: http://dinotoyblog.com/2013/11/10/ankylosaurus-soft-model-series-2-by-favorite-co-ltd/

I prefer its colour scheme to that of the Carnegie Collection Ankylosaurus, but its head really doesn't look like the distinctive head of Ankylosaurus...  The front half of its snout in particular looks off, with its nostrils misplaced.

Yup, that's the one I have. I love it, especially since it reminds me of Shane Foulkes Ankylosaurus kit. I'm not well versed with Ankylosaurus anatomy but the body resembles the WS version the closest amongst available (ankylosaurus) toys. The head does look off. It seems rounder and stockier. It's somewhat strange that the review didn't mention the skull at all (instead, focusing on the size of the club)

Takama

suspsy

Quote from: Takama on March 14, 2017, 05:00:26 PM

Harder material means less detail?! Quick, someone alert Doug Watson that he's been doing it all wrong!

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

sauroid

i guess "edutainment" is a newly invented compound word meaning educational and for entertainment
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: sauroid on March 14, 2017, 05:57:39 PM
i guess "edutainment" is a newly invented compound word meaning educational and for entertainment

Yes, but it is not newly invented. There was a fashion for using it in museums for a while, but not so much any more. I avoid using it!

BlueKrono

More detailed = row of spikes down the back? Hey, we could add even more detail by adding wings and sticking a horn on its nose!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 14, 2017, 06:01:34 PM
Quote from: sauroid on March 14, 2017, 05:57:39 PM

Yes, but it is not newly invented. There was a fashion for using it in museums for a while, but not so much any more. I avoid using it!

I remember Dinamation using it to describe their animatronic exhibits in the 90's..I may have dropped it once or twice in referring to the Dino Park here, just like what it was really, educational entertainment.

terrorchicken

Ive also heard the term used for children's any tv programming that claims to be educational but its educational content is actually minimal...

*modified b/c this could include just about anything on Discovery Channel and TLC these days....

I guess to Recur more detail means= more monstery looking?

CityRaptor

Not to mention for them it also means outdated. Also seems like they are taking after the other company named Re**r when it comes to dissing their rivals. What a bunch of jerks.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stargatedalek

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 14, 2017, 08:38:58 PMAlso seems like they are taking after the other company named Re**r when it comes to dissing their rivals. What a bunch of jerks.
I think there's a lot more to this than that. Notice they say "in China", and it's very clear they're products are intended for young children.

In RECUR's case it isn't necessarily intended as an insult to CollectA, rather they're attempting to indicate that their products are more heavily textured and softer and so best suited to very small children or infants.

Also worth keeping in mind that unlike REBOR English is not the first language of the representatives of RECUR.

Would however be nice to see that CollectA mosa swapped for a Schleich rex, especially in light of recent escapades.

Shonisaurus

I break a spear in favor of Recur. I know them personally (in fact I bought them quetzalcoatlus) and I can say that they are accessible people. I do not think they said it in bad faith, as it has been said, simply state that their figures are safe for children by being made of a soft material.

Also it must be recognized that it is a Chinese company that does not know English and can not be taken into account, I do not see any evil in the comments of that company from my perspective.

Silvanusaurus

All this time I've been hurting and it was my hard dinosaur toys that were to blame?

sauroid

i wonder if the material they use for their figures are as durable as our long lasting hard plastic figures that we've been collecting through the years. my Timmee/Marx figures which i inherited from my dad are 50 years old and they look almost as good as new (even played with by two generations of dino kids), even the Invictas i have that i acquired as previously owned are still very "shiny and sharp" for figures that are 30-40 years old.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

CityRaptor

Probably not, since soft toys like that tend to suffer from rubber rot.

They posted this on their facebook today, regarding the previous picture, after recieving some flag for their claims:

QuoteWe are accept different people have different voice about our product .,we do respect the Schleich, Papo, Safari Ltd., CollectA, Mojo, Bullyland such famous brand ,their experience in this field are for many many year and they are our's predecessor in this industry .they are brilliant example for us to learn from

We are a new brand in this industry .,We no meaning to said other company goods unsafe or inferior, we just want to said we are mainly focus on younger kids. all of our item are make of soft PVC and PP cotton inside , Compare hard material item in the market,we think soft material will be suitable for kids more.

As each company are product are unique ,absolutely all our item are want to make it more realistic, Some friend said we are insulted paleontology, this is a "big Cap" for us ,Now we are under with some Ancient scientists both domestic and abroad , So in the future RECUR will try to make it more accurate and more better

For a young brand there are a long way to go and we accept Criticism or praise for us ,we do appreciate any friend's opinion,no matter good or bad ,we will keep in mind . This will make us keep moving .

Of course their claim about being more detailed still stands.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

sauroid

companies who are targeting an international market should hire fluent English speaking employees to do all the PRs.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.