News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The 2017 Dinosaur Diorama/Photography Contest!

Started by Kayakasaurus, February 27, 2017, 11:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayakasaurus

The 2017 Diorama Contest is on!

This years contest will be in place of the annual forum event, but is NOT an official DinoToyForum contest run by the administrator.

•There are three Categories this year with a prize for each!
"Diorama", "photography" & "overall"

• Each Winning entry gets a 1:40 scale Irritator model by Protocasts Or an equivalent $16 credit towards any future Protocasts models!

• Entry is Free!

•The deadline for entries is Jul 30th 12:00 midnight Pacific Time Zone
UTC-08:00

• The best for each category will be decided either by poll or a panel after all the images are posted to see! (This section will be updated)

• all our welcome to enter via email

• Entries must feature dinosaurs or other prehistoric creatures. (T-Rex, Plesiosaur, Mammoth, Trilobite, Pterodactyl etc.)

• One entry per person, entry may not be exchanged.

• Entry must be new and yours

• digital enhancement of your entry is accepted as long as it's your original image

• The contest reserves the right to disqualify entries it deems offensive

• By entering you give permission for your entry to be used in a monetized YouTube video to show of the 2017 Dioramas!

•Claiming your prize! Shipping costs are covered free up to $7!

Send all entries and inquiries to [email protected]

Get Creative and Spread the word! The more entries the better!

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

DinoToyForum

Brill! Good luck everyone, and good luck Kayakasaurus!  8)

laticauda

Wow I was not expecting this.  Thanks for doing it!

Neosodon

Cool, thanks for hosting. :)

About the 3 categories. Does it mean if you take a picture of your dinosaurs outside then you enter it in the  photography category and if you enter a actual diorama then you enter it as a diorama? If so then what is the overall category?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

stargatedalek

May each person only enter one category? And do we enter for a specific category or is that only pertaining to the judging?

I just want to be super clear before I start planning.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 28, 2017, 12:04:03 AM
May each person only enter one category? And do we enter for a specific category or is that only pertaining to the judging?

I just want to be super clear before I start planning.
Quote from: Neosodon on February 28, 2017, 12:03:21 AM
Cool, thanks for hosting. :)

About the 3 categories. Does it mean if you take a picture of your dinosaurs outside then you enter it in the  photography category and if you enter a actual diorama then you enter it as a diorama? If so then what is the overall category?

The entry's and winners from previous contest are usually either a diorama, or an outdoor setup with an illusion of scale, and neither have a monopoly on winning despite being a different process. So this year I thought we'd have three categories instead of 1st 2nd 3rd.

• One entry per person into the contest, you do not need to enter it as a specific category, the Judging will award the best diorama, the best photography entry,  and the third winner is simply a great entry, it might lean towards one of those categories, but it's not picked on that basis.

A Diorama: Scratch built miniature landscape however big or small. May be a display piece, or just set up for this contest. The dinosaurs do not have to be original but original dinosaurs can add to the diorama effect.

Dinosaur Photography: outdoor photography in a natural setting (creek, woods, beach etc.) often with an illusion the dinosaur models are bigger than they are.

Overall: This winner may be in or lean towards the specific categories, or it might be one of the entries that's somewhere in the middle e.g. Original dinosaurs outside, or some other combination.

Sigmasaurus

Also good luck everyone! That Irritator looks nice though.

Georassic

THANK YOU for doing this, Kayakasaurus!
And, I LOVE the separate categories for diorama and photo. Brilliant!

Bokisaurus

Awesome! Thanks for putting this together and for the prize! This should be fun!

Derek.McManus

ZoPteryx

Cool!  Thanks for putting this on, Kayakasaurus!  :)  Your Irritator looks to be an excellent trophy, can't wait to enter!

Cloud the Dinosaur King

I already have a good idea of what I am doing. I am very excited as I am very new to the forum(3 days to be exact) and since I am so new this is my first diorama contest entry!

Archinto

Awesome, So I would assume entries are to be PM'ed to you correct? This sounds like a fun contest! Thanks for stepping up Kayakasaurus! :)
I'm seeking Orsenigo and other interesting vintage dinosaurs. Contact me if you can help with my search!

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Archinto on March 05, 2017, 05:08:29 PM
Awesome, So I would assume entries are to be PM'ed to you correct? This sounds like a fun contest! Thanks for stepping up Kayakasaurus! :)

You can email your entry to me at [email protected], looking forward to seeing the Entries!

AcroSauroTaurus

So, it starts today? And I'm glad there is one this year, I've got a really good one I took 2 years ago, but was unable to use it last year because I had no way of getting photos from my camera onto my computer.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on March 05, 2017, 09:13:23 PM
So, it starts today? And I'm glad there is one this year, I've got a really good one I took 2 years ago, but was unable to use it last year because I had no way of getting photos from my camera onto my computer.

Yep it's open! Great!

Lanthanotus

Thanks very much Kayakasaurus, for hosting this year's contest.

I had only sparse internet access during the last 12 weeks and when I read there would be no contest this year I was a bit disappointed (though I for sure understand and respect the reasons), ... however, when I read that several people were willing to do it on their own, I thought about offering help aswell,.... okay, that's not required anymore, but I'll happily join with an entrance this year, and those figures make a worthy prize :)

(PS: When's your sauropods ready for casting?)

Libraraptor

This time I won't forget to contribute again like last years...

Kayakasaurus

A little Diorama inspiration! I made this tutorial to promote the contest! You can visit my YouTube channel to spread the video link around!

YouTube.com/c/kayakasaurus

https://youtu.be/sScbW7xH9gs

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.