News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The 2017 Dinosaur Diorama/Photography Contest!

Started by Kayakasaurus, February 27, 2017, 11:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

Great video! the diorama ended up really cool, and that sculpt is amazing!

Paleogene Pals

Thank you for the very informative tutorial. Good luck with the contest!

stoneage

:)  Do we get to vote on the dioramas, as we have done in the past, or are you going to choose the winners?

acro-man

喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Lanthanotus

Nice video, Kayakasaurus and great sculpts (on the Irritator for sure, but also) on the fish and crayfish, would have voted for.

If quick water could only be cast up to 5 centimetres, I would not have had to get rid of my last year's entrance as I could not find a satisfying solution and it just collected dust :D.

Quote from: stoneage on March 20, 2017, 01:54:49 AM
:)  Do we get to vote on the dioramas, as we have done in the past, or are you going to choose the winners?

I think it's said that there's a forum vote.

Kayakasaurus

I'm looking into different voting options, the problem with voting is since it isn't hosted by this forum website (which requires membership that can be checked) , the voting would be open and less accurate if some people vote multiple times, or families vote. I think the best option for this year might be to have a panel of judges, it would definitely be secure, and I think it would also be diverse enough, I'm thinking 10 people voting a total of 3 times for 3 award categories. If you have any thoughts I'm open to ideas  :)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 20, 2017, 06:47:17 PM
If quick water could only be cast up to 5 centimetres, I would not have had to get rid of my last year's entrance as I could not find a satisfying solution and it just collected dust :D.

Yeah that's one of the neat things about it being designed to fill flower vases. It has the feel of firm rubber whence it's cured. There are tiny bubbles, but I think it would work for a lot of applications.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on March 20, 2017, 09:24:34 PM
Quote from: Lanthanotus on March 20, 2017, 06:47:17 PM

Yeah that's one of the neat things about it being designed to fill flower vases. It has the feel of firm rubber whence it's cured. There are tiny bubbles, but I think it would work for a lot of applications.

Aww, thanks for your reply, thought that quick water was an epoxy as used for model train landscaping..... seems you Americans got a lot of stuff that's not known here in Europe. I asked staff from a very good sorted artisan store after the epoxy resin ruined my first attempt on [=http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4093.msg145516#msg145516]last year's entry[/url]. For the final entry I eventually used real water in absence of a good solution and I threw away the whole build just a week ago. Seems that Quick Water is just what I was looking for..... am tempted to rebuild for a thrid time to use it for display on my desk :o

stoneage

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on March 20, 2017, 09:16:06 PM

I'm looking into different voting options, the problem with voting is since it isn't hosted by this forum website (which requires membership that can be checked) , the voting would be open and less accurate if some people vote multiple times, or families vote. I think the best option for this year might be to have a panel of judges, it would definitely be secure, and I think it would also be diverse enough, I'm thinking 10 people voting a total of 3 times for 3 award categories. If you have any thoughts I'm open to ideas  :)
I'm assuming if you have judges, that they won't be able to enter the contest?

Tylosaurus

Fantastic video there Kayakasaurus! THat is quite a lot of work to get it all right, odd with the water though, does that turn in to a gel substance after 4days?
It really looks lifelike, this is a very good example how to make a mini Dino diorama :)
I wish you all the best with the contest, also I look forward to what others come up with.

These contests are always interesting things to see happening, best wishes to all :)

What Spinosaurid did you use? I never seen that one before.

Kayakasaurus

Thanks! I might have been able to remove the plastic walls sooner but I wanted to be sure it was set solid, after four days it's solid but still tacky, then it took a week for the tackiness to go away, partially because I was waiting for some stickiness that had leaked down to cure, which it didn't, but turned out to come right off with a little goo gone.

That Spinosaurid is actually the prize this year  :) it's the latest addition to my line of 1:40 scale Dinosaur models. You can see how they are made on my YouTube Channel YouTube.com/c/kayakasaurus and my "Protocasts" thread under kits on this forum.

Tylosaurus

Well I hope all goes well guys, goes to all the Diorama participants 8)
Love seeing these things, they are like Paleoart pieces, but with physical 3D models , well in a sense :)

Cool stuff 8)

stargatedalek

This might not be the place to ask, but what mold release agent would you recommend for a project like that? The brand I'm looking at is called "Smooth-On Universal Mold Release", would you recommend that, or would a smooth on product be to thick?

Cloud the Dinosaur King

I am coming up with some good ideas for my diorama...

CrypticPrism

"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on March 17, 2017, 11:40:12 PM
A little Diorama inspiration! I made this tutorial to promote the contest! You can visit my YouTube channel to spread the video link around!

YouTube.com/c/kayakasaurus

https://youtu.be/sScbW7xH9gs
This has inspired me for the base of my upcoming Spinosaurus model.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on April 02, 2017, 10:54:43 PM
This might not be the place to ask, but what mold release agent would you recommend for a project like that? The brand I'm looking at is called "Smooth-On Universal Mold Release", would you recommend that, or would a smooth on product be to thick?

Just saw your post. I used Mann ease release 200, which smooth on recommends. Smooth-on's universal release would probably work good, I believe it is silicone based. I did notice the finish on the sides of the resin was a little fogged from the mold release texture, perhaps wiping it with a finger or paper towel before pouring would have taken that away. The water resin I used cures rubbery, so I'm not sure about polishing. If you can do a small test, you might try applying non stick cooking spray like Pam with a paper towel, I've used that for a mold release before with good results.

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Cloud the Dinosaur King on April 03, 2017, 03:06:22 PM
I will be making a scene from
Quote from: CrypticPrism on April 03, 2017, 03:11:24 PM
Are we allowed to post pictures here?

Just a reminder not to post ideas you might feature in a contest entry, that way they can remain anonymous. You can share which is yours after the contest.  :)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.