News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The 2017 Dinosaur Diorama/Photography Contest!

Started by Kayakasaurus, February 27, 2017, 11:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acro-man

For a second, I thought I found the "dark side" of the previous contests.
The requirement reads "Entries that were posted on the internet or publicly announced are not allowed", something like that.
Does this cause everybody become so hesitant about posting their dioramas and save the best for the jackpot, in case it becomes an ineligible entry?
Just wanted to know, cos I am one of them.
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Lanthanotus

I for my part have not done any dioramas lately, just some bases for certain figures. And while I am not the greatest fan of outdoor dioramas (as it is often difficult to get the right settings with plants and with scaling) I occasionally do some myself, but spring just started here, so there will be more opportunity in a few weeks. But your comment reminds me I could post the base for my Kabaya Seismosaurus, not the greatest piece of art, but anyway.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: acro-man on April 05, 2017, 12:51:53 PM
For a second, I thought I found the "dark side" of the previous contests.
The requirement reads "Entries that were posted on the internet or publicly announced are not allowed", something like that.
Does this cause everybody become so hesitant about posting their dioramas and save the best for the jackpot, in case it becomes an ineligible entry?
Just wanted to know, cos I am one of them.

That requirement had several purposes, but the main ones were to ensure anonymity (important for voting) and to make sure the entries were new every year.

Hynerpeton

This sounds like fun. Need think of some ideas now. Since i got some new dinos.....

P.S. i know its been awhile since i been here.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Lanthanotus

Quote from: predino on April 29, 2017, 08:25:09 AM
Should i send my pic via PM?

Send an email directly to Clayton/Kayakasaurus - [email protected] - PM can probably not contain the big image files.

Hynerpeton

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 29, 2017, 12:32:31 PM
Quote from: predino on April 29, 2017, 08:25:09 AM
Should i send my pic via PM?

Send an email directly to Clayton/Kayakasaurus - [email protected] - PM can probably not contain the big image files.

Hey thanks. 😃
Walking With Monsers:

Hynerpeton

How does the photography portion of the contest work? what must be done?
Walking With Monsers:

Silvanusaurus

I wasnt sure if I'd get around to entering this year, but I just had a really cool idea for an entry so i guess the game is on...

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: predino on May 05, 2017, 06:09:29 AM
How does the photography portion of the contest work? what must be done?

the photography part describes the entries that aren't scratch built dioramas, but use nature as a sort of diorama. One of the prizes will be awarded based on photography. I posted a description on the first page of this thread.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

LeapingLaelaps

Even if there's not an "official" contest, I'm really glad there's a contest this year! Quick question, can you use customized figures IE repainted ones? I've got an idea but I want to make sure it's actually allowed before I start painting ::)

Halichoeres

Quote from: Rhamphorhynchus on May 10, 2017, 10:32:22 PM
Even if there's not an "official" contest, I'm really glad there's a contest this year! Quick question, can you use customized figures IE repainted ones? I've got an idea but I want to make sure it's actually allowed before I start painting ::)

Yeah, there have always been plenty of repaints. It just can't be one that you've already shown elsewhere, so that nobody can identify it as yours.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

LeapingLaelaps

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 11, 2017, 05:31:09 PM
Yeah, there have always been plenty of repaints. It just can't be one that you've already shown elsewhere, so that nobody can identify it as yours.

Sounds good, thank you!

Ramose

A question, if we did a diorama can we submit photos from a couple of different angles and details or should we only submit a single photo?

Hynerpeton

I need to get a pic in. Doing two more ideas and then i will choose.
Walking With Monsers:

Hynerpeton

Can one dino work for the contest? or at least 2? let me know. ASAP. Thanks
Walking With Monsers:

Lanthanotus

Quote from: Ramose on May 17, 2017, 09:45:01 PM
A question, if we did a diorama can we submit photos from a couple of different angles and details or should we only submit a single photo?

"One entry per person" - which I understand as "one photo", as a single diorama shot from several angles would need either the host to deceide which one to publish, or it would be more than one entry which is forbidden. Only way around this would be to make a collage, which would be a all time first in the diorama contest and I am not sure if it would be within the rules or to which of the three categories it could count.

Quote from: predino on May 19, 2017, 07:42:58 AM
Can one dino work for the contest? or at least 2? let me know. ASAP. Thanks

I am not sure if I understand the question correctly, but you could pack as many dinosaur figures into your diorama as you'd like. Last year there were entries with just one figure (some - as the winner - wasn't even a dinosaur), others showed several, two had 7 to 8 figures in them. Just a question of what you'd like to show and create. One entry several years ago had I think like two dozen figures or so (the one with the trike herd).

stargatedalek

Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 19, 2017, 03:25:56 PM
Quote from: Ramose on May 17, 2017, 09:45:01 PM

"One entry per person" - which I understand as "one photo", as a single diorama shot from several angles would need either the host to deceide which one to publish, or it would be more than one entry which is forbidden. Only way around this would be to make a collage, which would be a all time first in the diorama contest and I am not sure if it would be within the rules or to which of the three categories it could count.

I suppose a collage could be graded as an entry for the "diorama" format, albeit solely that format, and graded based on its construction quality. I wouldn't recommend it, just playing devils advocate here.

Although if you did a collage but photo-edited it together in such a way as to appear like an "in-universe" single image, like say a collection of photos in a fake newspaper article or advertisement, that I could see being more acceptable for the contest.

Hynerpeton

Thanks.

Are we allowed to show ones that we chose not to use?
Walking With Monsers:

Lanthanotus

I'd guess, if you show alternate photos of your entry (let's say from another angle or with different light) it would still show your "entry" which in turn would not be "new" anymore for the contest (entries from past years are also not allowed to re-enter under this rule)... also, you would bypass the anonymity of entries. While this technically is not a rule (at least it is not in the rules in the 1st post of this thread), it is one fun aspect and also recommended that your entry is anonymous until the contest is over.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.