News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

reptiles & amphibians

Started by copper, June 30, 2012, 04:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copper

i think it's time to start a new topic, i hope it's ok to slap together both reptiles and amphibians on the same thread.
moderators be free to change as you wish.

i bought  a full series of frogs made by kitan club / epoch. i don't know the name of the series, i've got the tags but as usually they're in japanese.
also, if any of the species are labeled incorrectly, please let me know : )

dendrobates azureus

dendrobates lehmanni

dendrobates leucomelas

dendrobates tinctorius

oopahaga pumilio 'bluejeans'

oophaga pumilio 'colon'

dendrobates ventrimaculatus

can someone name this species? all i can think of are phyllobates terribilis and phyllobates bicolor and these won't match to the figure perfectly...

amargasaurus cazaui

Ribbitus Hoppemfast sounds like a good name. HA ! Nice frogs Copper
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gryphoceratops

Did you paint all of those little guys?

SBell

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on July 05, 2012, 03:39:23 AM
Did you paint all of those little guys?
Japanese Gashapon/collection figures are almost always pre-painted, especially Epoch, most Kaiyodo, Kabaya, Bandai, Yujin, Agatsuma, Tomy, Takara...well, pretty much all of them except the occasional Neko Works resin or Kaiyodo Dinoland.

Himmapaan

postsaurischian

Quote from: Himmapaan on July 05, 2012, 06:32:22 PM
These are so beautiful!

Yes - especially the Dendrobates azureus :)!

copper

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 05, 2012, 07:18:46 PM
Quote from: Himmapaan on July 05, 2012, 06:32:22 PM
These are so beautiful!

Yes - especially the Dendrobates azureus :)!

well my dear fellows, i have extra ones, they have straps on them put you can easily get them off. i'm putting them up on my sale/trade thread as soon as i'm done uploading photos on my computer.

postsaurischian

Quote from: copper on July 06, 2012, 12:57:47 PM
well my dear fellows, i have extra ones, they have straps on them put you can easily get them off. i'm putting them up on my sale/trade thread as soon as i'm done uploading photos on my computer.

O.k., then please save one of these hopping blue jewels for me :)!

copper

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 06, 2012, 08:48:07 PM
O.k., then please save one of these hopping blue jewels for me :)!

put the extras on sale, and the blue one is reserved for you helge.

stemturtle

Red-cheeked Salamander, Plethodon jordani

What could be more exciting than finding a rare figure?  Recently, I bought this Safari Ltd. Red-cheeked Salamander on eBay. It is marked 2004 on the belly, while the tag is dated 2010.  Size is life scale, about 5 inches.  It is made of a flexible plastic, like the 1995 Safari mudpuppy.  The other 6 salamanders from the Tennessee Aquarium set are made of harder plastic.  The figure is sold in a gift shop at the Sugarlands Visitor Center in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. 

The exclusive point of sale reminds me of the Bullyland Procynosuchus from the Korbach Museum.  I inquired if Safari Ltd. sold any other species of salamander restricted to a location.   President Alexandre Pariente was kind enough to email a reply, but did not name any species or venues.  He said that exclusive collections are a thing of the past, except for a project like this one.  Other than purchasing from the park, the best bet is to buy one online.

More discussion:
Caudata.org

EDIT:  The date marked on the Mudpuppy is 1997 rather than 1995.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on July 16, 2012, 01:50:16 PM

Red-cheeked Salamander, Plethodon jordani

What could be more exciting than finding a rare figure?  Recently, I bought this Safari Ltd. Red-cheeked Salamander on eBay. It is marked 2004 on the belly, while the tag is dated 2010.  Size is life scale, about 5 inches.  It is made of a flexible plastic, like the 1995 Safari mudpuppy.  The other 6 salamanders from the Tennessee Aquarium set are made of harder plastic.  The figure is sold in a gift shop at the Sugarlands Visitor Center in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. 

The exclusive point of sale reminds me of the Bullyland Procynosuchus from the Korbach Museum.  I inquired if Safari Ltd. sold any other species of salamander restricted to a location.   President Alexandre Pariente was kind enough to email a reply, but did not name any species or venues.  He said that exclusive collections are a thing of the past, except for a project like this one.  Other than purchasing from the park, the best bet is to buy one online.

More discussion:
Caudata.org

I know someone else that has one, and determined the same thing--it isn't actually part of the 7 figure Tennessee Aquarium set.

stemturtle

Quote from: SBell on July 16, 2012, 04:38:49 PM

I know someone else that has one, and determined the same thing--it isn't actually part of the 7 figure Tennessee Aquarium set.

Thanks for the math clarification, SBell.  I neglected to repeat that 1995 was the year of issue for the other 6 salamanders of the Tennessee Aquarium Collection.

postsaurischian

CollectA 2012 Bearded Dragon Lizard .......
                                ....... nice one :).

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on July 16, 2012, 06:02:34 PM
Quote from: SBell on July 16, 2012, 04:38:49 PM

Thanks for the math clarification, SBell.  I neglected to repeat that 1995 was the year of issue for the other 6 salamanders of the Tennessee Aquarium Collection.

There were 7 figures in the set--Yonahlosee, Marbled, Red spotted, Mudpuppy, Green, Crested newt and fire salamander (not a Tennessee species, but part of the set according to item numbers).

stemturtle

Quote from: SBell on July 27, 2012, 04:05:45 PM
There were 7 figures in the set--Yonahlosee, Marbled, Red spotted, Mudpuppy, Green, Crested newt and fire salamander (not a Tennessee species, but part of the set according to item numbers).

SBell, I checked my Safari salamanders with a magnifier, and it turns out that my eyes are getting old.  My Mudpuppy is marked 1997 rather than 1995.  What date does your figure show?  Here are photos of all 7 in the Tennessee Aquarium Collection.

1995 Crested Newt, Salamanders: Fire, Green, Marbled, Red, Yanahlossee.

1997 Mudpuppy

postsaurischian

Quote from: stemturtle on July 28, 2012, 12:54:46 AM

1997 Mudpuppy

:-X ... oh man, I'd love to have these.

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on July 28, 2012, 12:54:46 AM
Quote from: SBell on July 27, 2012, 04:05:45 PM

SBell, I checked my Safari salamanders with a magnifier, and it turns out that my eyes are getting old.  My Mudpuppy is marked 1997 rather than 1995.  What date does your figure show?  Here are photos of all 7 in the Tennessee Aquarium Collection.

1997 Mudpuppy

I never think of them by date of production--I do, however, try to go by company numbers, and the 7 do have sequential numbers. The mudpuppy is the last in the line, number 2106. (starting at 2100, the order for the rest is fire, green, red, marbled, yonahlosee, newt).

And anyone who doesn't have these should want them. I personally think that, other than maybe freshwater fish, salamanders get a very short stick when it comes to figures (as a percentage of known species).  I'm surprised that with all of the esoteric Japanese series (mushrooms, carnivorous plants, nudibranchs, corals, etc) salamanders have been left behind.

brontodocus

Aaaargh, the Tennessee Aquarium Collection... still missing the Marbled Salamander and Mudpuppy. :'( At least the Yohnalossee Salamander and Mudpuppy were also released as part of the Safari Ltd. Translucents:

Of course it isn't the same. :-\ I even thought of painting the mudpuppy myself but haven't done so, yet.

Helge, the CollectA Bearded Dragon looks a lot better than expected, I should have bought that one, too. :) Here's the Safari Ltd. Incredible Creatures version, quite large at 309 mm total length. Looks a little pale so it could be one of those hypomelanistic Pogona vitticeps that are bred in captivity:

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

postsaurischian

:)  Papo Nile Crocodile with infant .......

CityRaptor

Just like in case with their Rexes, the Infant is too big, but just like their Rexes, it is a beautiful sculpt. Really thinking of getting one. Just not sure if normal or Albino...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.