News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Carnivorous Plant Figures

Started by deanm, December 20, 2012, 03:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deanm

Tomy Carnivorous Plant Set

I love the figures - I have grown all of the species represented in the set so it makes it a heck of a lot more special as a set. Before Pterosaurs it was carnivorous plants. Then a series of moves and life circumstances has shifted me away from them but I still have my Cephalotus. Next year it is back into Sarracenia also.

Back Row (left to right). "secret set item" Yellow Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes bicalcarata, Nepenthes alata
Front Row (left to right). Green Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes rajah, Cephalotus follicularis

tyrantqueen

Interesting collection. I always thought these plants were awesome. By the way, my dad used to know a chap who kept a venus fly trap as a pet, and he fed it beef burgers :o

ajax

This is one I have at home, Its growing new 'pitcher' arms now.

SBell

I have that set too! Minus the 'secret' fly trap (coudln't justify the way increased expense!). Good ol' Japan, lots of crazy stuff. I'm not a big plant person, but these were just too odd to pass up.

deanm

I lucked out and got the complete set in one fell swoop otherwise I was not willing to pay for them singlely.

DinoToyForum

Brilliant figures! you should post them on the ATF too  ;)  O:-)
Not that they are animal, but they are more animate than your average fossil  :))

brontodocus

Ah, the T-A.R.T.S Carnivorous Plants! :) I still need to get them, it's such a really fine set. Yes, it would be great if you post them also on the ATF!
Quote from: deanm on December 20, 2012, 03:07:04 AM
I have grown all of the species represented in the set so it makes it a heck of a lot more special as a set.
Wow, so you had Nepenthes rajah, too? :o I thought they were pretty hard to get and especially difficult to cultivate. My own experiences with Nepenthes were... ahem... rather short, I guess I did everything wrong that could be done wrong. :'(

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

deanm

At one point I had close to 300 carnivorous plants. 200 of which were Sarracenia. I started most my own Sarrs from seeds from fellow members of the carnivorous plant socities I belonged too. I particularly loved Sarr. leucophylla. I had about 150 seedlings to mature plants of that particular species.

For Nepenthes, I had both highland and lowland species. My rajah did okay - but others were very easy and rewarding to culture ( N. bicalcarata, N. ampularia, N rafflesiana). Aside from a couple of Home Depot specials (typically alata hybrids) the rest of my Neps I imported from various well known carnivorous plant greenhouse operations in Borneo and Malaysia.

Sundews from across the world also. I had no luck with the Australian tuberous species but did well with the others.

Venus flytraps, Heliamphora, Cephalotus, Darlingtonia, Pinguicula, and a few others too.

I will be building a larger terrarium either this winter or next which will have LED lighting so I can grow highland species in my basement.

As for posting on ATF, I'm not a member there - but do feel free to repost the photos if you wish.

SBell

Quote from: deanm on December 20, 2012, 12:25:49 PM
I lucked out and got the complete set in one fell swoop otherwise I was not willing to pay for them singlely.

Oh , I got mine as a set, I just got an 'incomplete' set. But then, colour variations alone aren't enough to tempt me most of the time.

Now if someone on here (won't be me) were to cultivate Nepenthes rafflesiana PROPERLY 'd be impressed. Disturbed, but impressed.

deanm

@ sbell, do you want a clipping of my Pereskia? It is a vining cactus - and it grows extremely well. I wrap all the new growth around the old growth so some vines are about 6m long and still growing. Super simple to take care of. Dirt, sun, water - after that you have your own "monster". ;D

SBell

Quote from: deanm on December 20, 2012, 05:36:00 PM
@ sbell, do you want a clipping of my Pereskia? It is a vining cactus - and it grows extremely well. I wrap all the new growth around the old growth so some vines are about 6m long and still growing. Super simple to take care of. Dirt, sun, water - after that you have your own "monster". ;D

No thanks, at least not now--we are in the process of having to move, so I want as few living things to deal with as possible!  Maybe once we've settled somewhere.

Jetoar

Japanese have done all figures of the world plants ad animals  :o
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

SBell

Quote from: Jetoar on December 20, 2012, 07:08:15 PM
Japanese have done all figures of the world plants ad animals  :o

If you go to the DTF1, you'll see my collection of Japanese plankton figures! Now that's a weird set!

But there are so many more to do...

Or, since I feel like derailing a thread  :o...not really, but to save the hassle of finding the original posts (not much really needs to be said about these, just giving pictures!):

QuoteAnd finally:

So, not prehistoric (although some have a pretty prehistoric lineage), from Epoch we have a set of plankton figures!  They came in those little glass jars, and each was in an ooze (basically the same putty/slime that's in everything).  Bu that's gone now.  Funny thing, I haven't been able to find them on the Epoch site, but so far that would put them at nearly ten years old, yet the putty is still pretty fresh.

And most important, they do come out:

There is a rabbit nickel for scale in there.  they are surprisingly varied, and accurate.  One funny thing, the set is old enough that there was only one English word on the entire info sheets--Plankton. Well, two. The other one was Epoch.  Fortunately, the yahoo Japan seller listed them, and I was able to copy the script and Google search each one (it was a lot of effort for 10 odd plankton figures!),

They are, form left to right, Amoeba, Purple Sea urchin pluteus larvae, Euglena, Paramecium, Aurelia jellyfish larvae, Vorticella, Daphnia water flea, Sea Sparkle dinoflagellate, Phoronid larvae, and Cyclops (the secret figure).

deanm

:) That is a really cool set!  :)  Great find. Nice to see plankton represented in such a quality fashion!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.