News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

reptiles & amphibians

Started by copper, June 30, 2012, 04:11:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

I just thought I would put this one up--from the original Colorata River Life set, the only salamander they've made so far (and didn't re-release in any form when they re-did the River set, and released the frogs in a box set):

Onychodactylus japonicus, Japanese clawed salamander

stemturtle

Kaiyodo 196A Eastern Hakone Salamander, Onychodactylus japonicus

The Colorata Japanese Clawed Salamander is one of the most difficult figures to find.  The belly is marked Hakone Sanshouuo, so I was glad to learn the scientific name.  Frustrated collectors can make do with the Kaiyodo figure until they eventually get lucky on eBay winning the Colorata version.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

SBell

Quote from: stemturtle on August 03, 2012, 03:45:08 AM

The Colorata Japanese Clawed Salamander is one of the most difficult figures to find.  The belly is marked Hakone Sanshouuo, so I was glad to learn the scientific name.  Frustrated collectors can make due with the Kaiyodo figure until they eventually get lucky on eBay winning the Colorata version.

I think the River Life set may have been among the first Colorata sets--there is no English (words or alphabet) in the booklets, on the box, or anything. I seem to recall hunting the latin down using the Japanese name on the body (the only readable-to-me words) and internet searches.

I am guessing that, at this point, it is a figure more likely to be found by accident in a lot of other figures than on its own--most sellers have the new sets, and the older set wasn't that common.

And so I reiterate again--out of all the groups of organisms made by Japanese companies, why are Caudata ignored so much (never mind gymnophionans--the only figures I have of those are weird little COG figures)?

The rest of the set (reptiles and amphibians) can be seen here: http://picasaweb.google.com/112904805020724311693/COGSmallFigs

SBell

Quote from: SBell on August 03, 2012, 04:36:50 AM
Quote from: stemturtle on August 03, 2012, 03:45:08 AM

The Colorata Japanese Clawed Salamander is one of the most difficult figures to find.  The belly is marked Hakone Sanshouuo, so I was glad to learn the scientific name.  Frustrated collectors can make due with the Kaiyodo figure until they eventually get lucky on eBay winning the Colorata version.

I think the River Life set may have been among the first Colorata sets--there is no English (words or alphabet) in the booklets, on the box, or anything. I seem to recall hunting the latin down using the Japanese name on the body (the only readable-to-me words) and internet searches.

I am guessing that, at this point, it is a figure more likely to be found by accident in a lot of other figures than on its own--most sellers have the new sets, and the older set wasn't that common.

And so I reiterate again--out of all the groups of organisms made by Japanese companies, why are Caudata ignored so much (never mind gymnophionans--the only figures I have of those are weird little COG figures)?

The rest of the set (reptiles and amphibians) can be seen here: http://picasaweb.google.com/112904805020724311693/COGSmallFigs

I'm just trying to get the link to work here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/112904805020724311693/COGSmallFigs?authuser=0&feat=directlink

This should work now.

stemturtle

Quote from: SBell on August 03, 2012, 06:58:59 PM

I'm just trying to get the link to work here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/112904805020724311693/COGSmallFigs?authuser=0&feat=directlink

This should work now.

Thanks for your efforts to get the link to work, SBell.  Looks like a set of 16. The two caecilians are real treasures.  Maybe they will show up in lots on eBay.

Gwangi

Here are my AAA reptiles. I've had the large monitor lizard since I was a kid but the two other lizards and the snake I just got today.

Jetoar

My first figures of my collection AAA and I have a lot of sea creatures and some reptiles. Monitor lizard is very acurate and very simnilar to nile monitor :)
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

tyrantqueen

Those AAA lizards and reptiles are beautiful  :) They look as though they were cast from real animals :O

I don't collect extant animals but I am sorely tempted by these guys XD

Gwangi

Quote from: tyrantqueen on August 04, 2012, 11:27:19 AM
Those AAA lizards and reptiles are beautiful  :) They look as though they were cast from real animals :O

I don't collect extant animals but I am sorely tempted by these guys XD

Actually, I believe they were cast from real (dead) animals. Or so I've been told on this forum anyway.  I don't collect extant animals either but when I saw these guys I had to have them, especially since they go right along with the one I already had.

If anyone knows the exact species they represent I would appreciate it. The monitor lizards simply say "monitor lizards" on the bottom (Jetoar did mention the Nile monitor) and the snake simply says "snake". The green lizard says "iguana" but it looks more like a Chinese water lizard to me.

ZoPteryx

The green lizard is a Green (aka: Chinese) Water Dragon.  The others I'm not sure on. The gray monitor looks like a Savannah Monitor, while the other could be Nile Monitor.  I'm clueless on the snake, the head looks like that of an elapid, perhaps a mamba species? 

copper

Quote from: Zopteryx on August 08, 2012, 07:05:07 AM
The green lizard is a Green (aka: Chinese) Water Dragon.  The others I'm not sure on. The gray monitor looks like a Savannah Monitor

i totally agree : )

Jetoar

The Bearded Dragon is cool. I would like to buy one for my girlfriend. She like it  :).
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

postsaurischian

:)   Colorata 'Endangered Species' Sea Turtles box:

Go here to see more pics:

http://www.animaltoyforum.com/index.php/topic,47.msg323.html#msg323

stemturtle

Gorgeous photos, postsaurischian.  You probably already know that Chelonia agassizii is an invalid junior synonym of C. mydas.  Genetic studies merged the black sea turtle and green sea turtle into a single species.  The green sea turtle is the one often seen on the beaches of Hawaii, up close and personal.

EDIT: Range map of the black sea turtle shows an eastern Pacific coast distribution.

Himmapaan

Oh, gosh, I have so long coveted this set...

Jetoar

Good figures and good colors. I like Colorata an i look forward to see in my country  ^-^.

SBell

Quote from: Jetoar on August 25, 2012, 07:35:52 PM
Good figures and good colors. I like Colorata an i look forward to see in my country  ^-^.

Unless you live in Japan you won't see Colorata for sale--they do not export.  However, there are different ways to buy them from Japan and have them sent (but not directly from the company).

Jetoar

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 27, 2012, 03:42:33 PM
CollectA 2012 Bearded Dragon Lizard .......
                                ....... nice one :).

Its is a good figure. I bought two weeks a go.  Good photographs ^-^!.

brontodocus

Congrats for the Colorata Sea Turtles, Helge! :) I have an eye on that set for quite a while, too. And it's nice to see a set that contains all known extant sea turtle species.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

amargasaurus cazaui

I hope this little guy is welcome here. He is made by Wild Republic and comes as a boxed set, unpainted, along with something like six paints and a brush. I chose to use my own set of acrylics and so forth. I was actually somewhat taken with the detail and level of work on the sculpt.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.