News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mirificus Studios WIPs, by ZoPteryx (Scutellosaurus Update)

Started by ZoPteryx, April 26, 2017, 07:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Well, it's finally happened.  Inspired by the success of fellow forum members, I'm going to attempt to bring a long brewing dream of mine into reality; the dream of creating and selling my very own line of prehistoric replicas, dubbed:

Mirificus Studios

Mirificus being Latin for unique or peculiar.  I will eventually create a proper thread for the line outlining its goals and rules and deep dark secrets, but suffice to say that scientific accuracy with just a dash of informed speculation is what I'm striving for.  :)

Now, I'd like to show the first Work In Progress sculpt that will inaugurate the line.  I give you, the beginnings of Lambeosaurus magnicristatus, 1:40 scale.

The scales are a bit exaggerated, I admit, but so far I'm pleased with it.  Next time the limbs and tail will be completed.

I hope everyone will be pleased with the finished figures.  And remember, I'm open to any feedback!  ;)

Takama

You have me intrigued.

You going to cast it?

Also.   (This is an unpopular qustion) do you plan on tackling the classics?

Lanthanotus

Good luck, ZoPteryx, it looks very promising. I also like your means of support :D ... Do you use Fixit Sculpt for sculpting?

Jose S.M.

It's looking good! Can't wait to see it finished.

Sim

This looks promising.  I wish you good luck, ZoPteryx.

Since you said you're open to any feedback, I will say exaggerated scales have become a pet peeve for me.  I've seen prehistoric animal figures with scales that I feel are exaggerated be much liked on this forum though, so clearly not everyone feels the same about this.

DinoLord

I agree with Sim. Actual hadrosaur scales were quite small. Shrinked by 40 times I don't think you'd be able to make them out individually like that. I think Wild Safari gets it pretty close to right with the tiny bumps.

ZoPteryx

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  :)

Quote from: Takama on April 26, 2017, 07:45:58 AM
You going to cast it?

Also.   (This is an unpopular qustion) do you plan on tackling the classics?

Yes, it will be cast at some point, but I'll need to practice a bit first.  Maybe on something with a less difficult shape, like a fish or marine reptile...  ;)

Eventually, yes, I do plan on tackling classic species.  Maybe at a rate of one per year along with the exotics.

Quote from: Lanthanotus on April 26, 2017, 08:24:18 AM
I also like your means of support :D ... Do you use Fixit Sculpt for sculpting?

Lol, thanks!  I just use regular Sculpey clay, but I'm going to give the Firm Sculpey a try when I make the head.

Quote from: Sim on April 26, 2017, 01:53:48 PM
Since you said you're open to any feedback, I will say exaggerated scales have become a pet peeve for me.  I've seen prehistoric animal figures with scales that I feel are exaggerated be much liked on this forum though, so clearly not everyone feels the same about this.
Quote from: DinoLord on April 26, 2017, 02:24:53 PM
I agree with Sim. Actual hadrosaur scales were quite small. Shrinked by 40 times I don't think you'd be able to make them out individually like that. I think Wild Safari gets it pretty close to right with the tiny bumps.

No worries, it's actually a pet peeve of mine as well!  The problem was I foolishly started without having proper detailing tools lined up and I was afraid cracks would develop if I waited too long to bake it.  You'll be happy to know I now have a wide assortment of proper tools and stamps, so this shouldn't happen again!  ;)

Jose S.M.

Quote from: ZoPteryx on April 26, 2017, 09:56:19 PM
  You'll be happy to know I now have a wide assortment of proper tools and stamps, so this shouldn't happen again!  ;)

Can you tell me what kind of tools you have now? I've made 2 dinosaurs, just for fun, but I didn't have proper tools either and the scales I made are oversized, actually the first one I made was an hadrosaur and it's scales look like the ones on your Lambeo, I personally don't think those scales look bad but I would like to try to make them smaller.

Patrx

Quite an intriguing project, and I like the name!

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on April 26, 2017, 10:04:14 PM
Quote from: ZoPteryx on April 26, 2017, 09:56:19 PM
  You'll be happy to know I now have a wide assortment of proper tools and stamps, so this shouldn't happen again!  ;)

Can you tell me what kind of tools you have now? I've made 2 dinosaurs, just for fun, but I didn't have proper tools either and the scales I made are oversized, actually the first one I made was an hadrosaur and it's scales look like the ones on your Lambeo, I personally don't think those scales look bad but I would like to try to make them smaller.

It's mostly stamps made from Sculpey clay.  The sources for the textures were a turkey foot, duck foot, and buffalo horn (all purchased from a pet store), patches of shed monitor lizard skin, and textures borrowed from miscellaneous off-brand animal toys.  I also made single-scale stamps from Sculpey by poking different sized holes in thin strands of clay, some which I angled for those hard to reach spots.

Some actual tools I've found very useful include a toothbrush (use it to stamp) and two things I found on the paint brush isle.  I'm not sure what they really are, but one has a handle and a flexible rubber angled-wedge shape at each end; very useful for making soft lines and notches without leaving deep gauges.  The other was a pack of tools with different sized firm foamy wedges on the end of the handle.  These are awesome for smoothing out clay.

I've found there seems to be very few premade tools out there for the kind of detailing we want, your best bet is probably to sculpt your own.  :)

Quote from: Patrx on April 26, 2017, 10:17:28 PM
Quite an intriguing project, and I like the name!

Thanks!  :)

Jose S.M.

Thanks for the info! I'll see what I manage to make up when I make another figure.

Neosodon

Looks like a good start. But it seems like it would be easier to do the texturing after the body is finished.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

spinosaurus1

great start zopteryx. can't wait to see how this progress

ZoPteryx

Thanks guys!  :)

Quote from: Neosodon on April 27, 2017, 01:43:01 AM
Looks like a good start. But it seems like it would be easier to do the texturing after the body is finished.

I'm always a bit worried I'll accidentally warp something out of proportion by handling the figure too excessively while the clay's still wet.  That's why I bake in stages, to solidify what I'm satisfied with without worrying about wrecking it with fingerprints.

Some update photos!  Added the forelimbs and a slight scapular ridge, and completed the tail.  The head is also about 50% complete, but I forgot to take a photo of it.  :P

Gave it some nice beefy leg muscles extending onto the tail base.  If the lower portion of the right forelimb seems a little too long, that's because it is.  Don't worry though, I'm going incorporate the lowest portion of that side into the wrist joint to even things up.  ;)

Jose S.M.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on May 01, 2017, 12:11:22 PM
It looks great so far!

Thanks!  A few of those tools I mentioned earlier can be seen in the last photo.

Update Time!

Body, limbs, and tail are essentially finished, minus minor details like skin folds and such.  Head is also complete and just needs a neck.  ^-^

Apologies if the details are little difficult to see, they're hard to capture with the white clay.  When I make the neck, I've been considering adding a dewlap similar to some breeds of cattle.  Thoughts on this?

And a sneak peak of a little shark toy being turned into a marine reptile.  ;)

Tyto_Theropod

Looking wonderful so far. I like how you've realised those tall neural processes on the vertebrae and made a nice buffalo hump. ;) I would have to agree with previous comments, though, in that I find the scale texture very off-putting. I don't really mind them being a bit... overscaled? (Groan!), but it is a pet peeve when they're a constant size all over the body. I feel like they should be smaller in areas like the face and feet - that might just be me, though... Big scales aren't just distracting, but they seem to mangle the detail on parts like the aforementioned face and feet in many models.

Also, and apologies if this is taken as an insult, but there is on nameless line produced by a forum member where the same texture seems to be used not only on every inch of the dinosaur, but also on bases to portray the ground cover! To me, that too is immensely off-putting.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on May 13, 2017, 12:33:07 PM
Looking wonderful so far. I like how you've realised those tall neural processes on the vertebrae and made a nice buffalo hump. ;) I would have to agree with previous comments, though, in that I find the scale texture very off-putting. I don't really mind them being a bit... overscaled? (Groan!), but it is a pet peeve when they're a constant size all over the body. I feel like they should be smaller in areas like the face and feet - that might just be me, though... Big scales aren't just distracting, but they seem to mangle the detail on parts like the aforementioned face and feet in many models.

Also, and apologies if this is taken as an insult, but there is on nameless line produced by a forum member where the same texture seems to be used not only on every inch of the dinosaur, but also on bases to portray the ground cover! To me, that too is immensely off-putting.

Thanks Tyto!  :)  Fear not regarding the oversized scales, it's not a mistake I'll be repeating in the future if I can help it.  ;D  As for the constant size of the scales, that's actually a known feature of both species of Lambeosaurus, at least as far as the neck, body, upper limbs, and tail go.  I did give the head, dewlap, and feet smaller scales, it might be hard to tell in the photos.  If I ever make bases, I'll be sure to give them unique textures.  ;)

UPDATE
Alright, it's finally finished!  Added a dewlap and gave him some skin folds along the flanks.  Oh, and attached the head of course!  I give you:

Lambeosaurus magnicristatus, 1:40 scale  apologies for the photo quality

Now it's on to coloration!  I plan to offer three varieties, 1) primed but unpainted, 2) a "standard" color scheme I will decide on, and 3) a "fan's choice" color scheme to be selected and voted on by you guys!  I'll share mock-ups of the standard color scheme to see what you all think and create a poll for the fan's choice in a few days.

I look forward to your feedback!  :)

Pachyrhinosaurus

The final figure looks great! I like how you added that baggy skin connecting the legs and the tail.

Also I agree with Tyto about the scales. If I'm doing 1:40 scale I'd either use elephant-like wrinkles or a stamp pulled from sandpaper if wrinkly texture isn't your thing.

Takama

My God, that Critter is amazing.    I would love to see what eles you have in the pipeline (though now im tempted to commission you to do somthing lol)

So will it have a Base? or is it going to be free standing?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.