News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/1 Rhamphorhynchus

Started by dinonikes, May 04, 2012, 06:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinonikes

I am glad that you guys like this piece, unfortunately, this one is a commission piece, and I wont be offering it up myself. I will talk to the party who hired me up to make this and some other models for his mini golf course in FL. to see if he would be interested in partnering with me -me making these and selling them. He is only looking for one piece, which I could have made directly (without molding and casting it), but since it is going outside I preferred the durability of casting it in fiberglass, being able to cast in the colors for the most part. I am pretty much done sculpting this guy, but have it in pieces and some parts are already being molded, so I cant show the finished clay pattern. I will post photos of the final piece once it is cast and ready to go. Now on with sculpting the 1/1 Dimorphodon (he also is getting three 1/1 Compsagnathus models).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah I was wondering about that...if you would be able to sell them or not.  Hopefully he will let you and the Compys as well..I need a little pack of the guys.. ;D

ITewan

im a lil tired and a lil hungry

Blade-of-the-Moon

Simon

Incredible Malcolm - just wonderful!  I am glad you are getting some well-deserved commission work.  Hopefully those 1/40 beauties will generate some more of these larger requests ....

Lady medusa

A 1:1 dimetrodon? And 1:1 compys!? Man! Thats awesome! I agree id love me a pack of compys!
I think id like me some dino head mounts ;) my dad has mentioned a few times i need some animal trophies on my wall(not a hunter sorry!) but he didnt say anything about them being extinct already! A dimetrodon head mount would be awesome!

Patrx

Quote from: dinonikes on May 16, 2012, 12:38:31 AM
Now on with sculpting the 1/1 Dimorphodon
Just for clarification.  ;) On the other hand, a full-sized Dimetrodon would be rather excellent- but I think I'd prefer a smaller, more affordable one, like for the Fauna Casts line. At any rate, I'm rather looking forward to seeing the Compsognathus. Given any thought to what sort of integument you might incorporate?

dinonikes

Quote from: Lady medusa on May 17, 2012, 02:43:05 PM
A 1:1 dimetrodon? And 1:1 compys!? Man! Thats awesome! I agree id love me a pack of compys!
I think id like me some dino head mounts ;) my dad has mentioned a few times i need some animal trophies on my wall(not a hunter sorry!) but he didnt say anything about them being extinct already! A dimetrodon head mount would be awesome!

I have molds for a life size Dilophosaurus head and a Yangchuanosaurus head- they are not full heads, just half heads that hang on the wall- I am hoping to make some head mounts in the future- I think that some pterosaur head mounts would be cool-

dinonikes

Quote from: Pixelboy on May 17, 2012, 03:17:18 PM
Just for clarification.  ;) On the other hand, a full-sized Dimetrodon would be rather excellent- but I think I'd prefer a smaller, more affordable one, like for the Fauna Casts line. At any rate, I'm rather looking forward to seeing the Compsognathus. Given any thought to what sort of integument you might incorporate?

I would love to make a life size Dimetrodon, would have to have someone that wanted one to make one though-museum or something like that. I did start a 1/40 one for this line(it's small), but havent got very far with it.

The compsognathus pack will be scales and scutes-no feathers if that was what you meant. The client specifically said he wanted JP style- originally he contacted me about making a baby T.Rex and a Velociraptor, he didnt have the budget for those though, and I worked out some models he could afford. During these talks he mentioned that he wouldnt want feathered dinos as they are for a mini golf course and not a museum, and he would want dinos that the average visitor would relate to- JP.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: dinonikes on May 19, 2012, 07:39:20 PM
Quote from: Pixelboy on May 17, 2012, 03:17:18 PM

I would love to make a life size Dimetrodon, would have to have someone that wanted one to make one though-museum or something like that. I did start a 1/40 one for this line(it's small), but havent got very far with it.

The compsognathus pack will be scales and scutes-no feathers if that was what you meant. The client specifically said he wanted JP style- originally he contacted me about making a baby T.Rex and a Velociraptor, he didnt have the budget for those though, and I worked out some models he could afford. During these talks he mentioned that he wouldnt want feathered dinos as they are for a mini golf course and not a museum, and he would want dinos that the average visitor would relate to- JP.

Man..that sounds right up my alley.  Have you been able to ask the fellow if he wants to sell these ?  It could help him work toward his goal of a Velociraptor and Baby Rex which I would also love to see happen.

Yutyrannus

I can't wait to see that 1/1 Dimorphodon. I hope it looks like this ::).

[attachment msg=13376][/attachment]

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Yutyrannus on July 07, 2012, 06:52:55 AM

I would actually hope it looks a bit better.. ;D

Patrx

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 07, 2012, 05:43:57 PM
Quote from: Yutyrannus on July 07, 2012, 06:52:55 AM

I would actually hope it looks a bit better.. ;D

I'm inclined to agree with Blade there - that's the Dimorphodon from Flying Monsters 3D, yes? I'm more convinced by John Conway's restoration:

Blade-of-the-Moon

A much better pic there. Would certainly be interested in buying that.. :)

dinonikes

Blade-of-the-Moon

Looks awesome Malcolm..so much better than my pitiful attempt..lol

I hope get the chance to get one. :)