News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Aaron Doyle's 2D dinosaur art

Started by Aaron Doyle, May 05, 2017, 04:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Doyle

Hi everyone.  I've been away for a long time, but I'm hoping to be more active on the boards.  I searched through the forums and apparently I never made a thread for my sketches and paintings on the new boards.  Lately I've been wrapping up some 2D work to update my portfolio.  I've also been getting back into traditional media and having fun making a mess.

This was an experiment with oil paint.  As sad as it may sound, I've been a professional artist for 10 years and never once used oils before this.  A lot of people scared me off the medium, but I find it to be very forgiving and the pigments are so vibrant even on the cheap paints I started out with.

Halichoeres

I've never painted with oils. You find it more forgiving than acrylics, for example?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 05, 2017, 05:42:14 PM
I've never painted with oils. You find it more forgiving than acrylics, for example?

Yes.  Most of the traditional painting I've done has been with acrylic and gouache,  neither of which really allow for much mixing or shifting of paint once its down.  I like to blend and mix on the canvas and you have a very limited window to do that with other media.  Oils dry very slowly which allows for a lot of blending and tweaking, but you have to be careful to not muddy the colors doing so.  That may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your technique.  If you build up colors layer by layer that drying time is probably a hindrance.  I've never been the best at preplanning or premixing color so it works well for me, but I know a lot of artists who have gone to great lengths to avoid ever using oils because they want those layers to dry fast.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Aaron Doyle on May 05, 2017, 06:07:17 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 05, 2017, 05:42:14 PM

Yes.  Most of the traditional painting I've done has been with acrylic and gouache,  neither of which really allow for much mixing or shifting of paint once its down.  I like to blend and mix on the canvas and you have a very limited window to do that with other media.  Oils dry very slowly which allows for a lot of blending and tweaking, but you have to be careful to not muddy the colors doing so.  That may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your technique.  If you build up colors layer by layer that drying time is probably a hindrance.  I've never been the best at preplanning or premixing color so it works well for me, but I know a lot of artists who have gone to great lengths to avoid ever using oils because they want those layers to dry fast.

That's good to know, thanks! I'll have to give it a shot.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Lanthanotus

Looks very nice and dimensional, you gonno do more in oil?

I only ever used oil once but the painting's theme and general color selction wasn't the best to bring up the positives of oil colors against acrylics.

Aaron Doyle

Quote from: Lanthanotus on May 05, 2017, 08:02:50 PM
Looks very nice and dimensional, you gonno do more in oil?

I only ever used oil once but the painting's theme and general color selction wasn't the best to bring up the positives of oil colors against acrylics.

Thanks!  I plan on doing more work in oils as soon as I get some time.

Here is a Styracosaurus.  This one is digital.  I used my ZBrush model as a base and did the paintover work in Photoshop.

BlueKrono

It's cool to see someone still working with traditional media - almost everything you see nowadays is digital, from card illustrations to board games to advertisement art. While yours is better than most, I have to say I love that oil. I'm one of those that shy away from oil paints myself. I do my mixing on the palette and incorporate lots of quick-drying layers. Acrylic, or better yet, tempera! I have mad respect for anyone that can paint with oil. You clearly know what you're doing.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

I have zero ability to draw or paint.  But as a "consumer" or admirer of other people's work (and an occasional purchaser), I love seeing someone still working in traditional media.

BlueKrono

I think it may be something of an appreciation for the old school, like preferring real animatronics in movies rather than cgi.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Aaron Doyle

This one is more of a sketch.  It was done with acrylic on watercolor paper.  It's sort of a generic dromaeosaur, although I used a clay sculpture of velociraptor I've been working on for lighting reference.

ZoPteryx

Lovely work, very expressive!  :)

ceratopsian

Tyto_Theropod

Beautiful work, Aaron. My favourite is the Dromaeosaur, but that's more to do with m fondness for the group than he art itself. I like that rather cheeky expression it sees to have.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Mamasaurus

Beautiful work! I always love seeing traditional media.  With three young children, I don't have the time for the setup and clean up, so digital paint is a real lifesaver, but I always enjoy seeing other's paintings. :)

My favorite is the dromeaosaur. I like the softness of its feathers, and I really like the brilliant blue. :D

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Reptilia

Lovely paintings, that dromaeosaur looks alive.

Aaron Doyle

This is a Compsognathus sketch I did last Dinovember.  His plumage was fun to render.

Neosodon

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.