News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Great Photobucket Purge

Started by DinoToyForum, July 07, 2017, 04:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

This is going to sound strange but

I use photobucket, but for some reason my images are still visible  :o

At first I though: maybe is because I am loged in the forum, so I log out, but no, the pictures are still visible. And no, I do not have paid photobucket a single cent.

Any idea of why I seem to be the exception in this case?

Here is an example, tell me if you can see this image or not:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=16.msg172864#msg172864

Halichoeres

Quote from: MLMjp on July 07, 2017, 07:45:02 PM

At first I though: maybe is because I am loged in the forum, so I log out, but no, the pictures are still visible. And no, I do not have paid photobucket a single cent.

I suspect it's because you're using a very small amount of storage. I'm currently at 1.2 GB, which isn't even that much, but all my image links are dead.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 07, 2017, 07:51:36 PM
Quote from: MLMjp on July 07, 2017, 07:45:02 PM

I suspect it's because you're using a very small amount of storage. I'm currently at 1.2 GB, which isn't even that much, but all my image links are dead.

It may just be a matter of time. I can find no official statement that third party hosting is still free under a certain threshold. Unless anyone knows otherwise?

amargasaurus cazaui

Your links are just as dead as everyone else's rose.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

Test with MLMjp's specified Photobucket image. Works for me:

BlueKrono

So it must be far less than 5 gigs, but regardless I am under that limit, as is, apparently, MLMjp.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

amargasaurus cazaui

http://www.zdnet.com/article/photobucket-endures-user-backlash-after-breaking-images-with-ransom-demand/
This article somewhat fills in the blanks.......basically saying NO third party image hosting for less than the 400 a year extortion money.....

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

DinoToyForum

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 07, 2017, 08:42:03 PM
So it must be far less than 5 gigs, but regardless I am under that limit, as is, apparently, MLMjp.

I think it is just a matter of time before your images go missing too. According to Photobucket's terms, their free service (2gb hosting max) does not include third party sharing:

"Free account : Each individual Member gets one free account that provides 2 GB of free storage or space available for your original photo files, or videos under 10min. The free account does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. If you are interested in image linking and/or 3rd party image hosting, you will need to subscribe to one of our Plus Accounts described below. Free account Members can upgrade to a Plus account at any time."

I'm sure they'll mop up stragglers soon. Might as well act now.

BlueKrono

Fair point. Halichoeres is under the 2 mark at 1.2 but his are still duds. I wonder what the functional cutoff is.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

suspsy

I have a ton of Photobucket images to replace, unfortunately. Most of them depict my visits to various museums. And I don't foresee myself having time to replace all of them within several weeks. I'll do what I can, but if the deadline passes, just go ahead and delete whatever you see fit. I have those images saved either on my laptop or Facebook, so I'll get them back up eventually.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Takama

I savee more then 200+ images from Malcolm Mldochs Photobucket pages   but i cant save them all so a little help would be apreciated if possible

Silvanusaurus

I am very content to sever my tethers to the malignant, morally bankrupt pit of depravity that is photobucket. I can try and sort my own images out but I can't promise that I'll be able to do it quickly as I've got a lot of 'life-stresses' piling up at the minute. If it comes to it I dont mind you having to remove them, I dont have huge amounts anyway.

stargatedalek

If photobucket had tried they would have learned that by being respectable and keeping their adds subtle people actually disable their adblocks for sites that deserve it.

sauroid

mods/admin, you may delete my collection thread. i will just make a new one using another photo hosting site. i only have two pages worth anyway so i can start from scratch. my biggest dilemma is my collection threads on STS which have several pages.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: sauroid on July 08, 2017, 02:09:58 PM
mods/admin, you may delete my collection thread. i will just make a new one using another photo hosting site. i only have two pages worth anyway so i can start from scratch. my biggest dilemma is my collection threads on STS which have several pages.

You can go in and edit the old ones instead of creating new threads. Just as easy. :)

sauroid

i've thought of taking "better" pics to replace the old ones that were taken by old cam phones. :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: sauroid on July 08, 2017, 04:23:10 PM
i've thought of taking "better" pics to replace the old ones that were taken by old cam phones. :)

Yes, and you can edit your original post with these - delete the old images and replace them with the new ones. You can always bump the thread to ensure people notice :)

Patrx

Visitors to the Fauna Casts archive will be glad to see that Malcolm's images have been restored to visibility. I migrated them all to Imgur and updated the links  :D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Patrx on July 08, 2017, 08:40:30 PM
Visitors to the Fauna Casts archive will be glad to see that Malcolm's images have been restored to visibility. I migrated them all to Imgur and updated the links  :D

Brilliant! Thanks so much! The Great Photobucket Purge has begun!

Roselaar

The Unique Species List is back in business. I deleted all the Photobucket links (and my PB account), and replaced them with Postimage links. I can recommend that site, it's fast, easy to use and there's no ads. For now...

Now for my collection images. That's gonna take a few more days...

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.