News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Great Photobucket Purge

Started by DinoToyForum, July 07, 2017, 04:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayakasaurus

I made a DeviantArt account to replace Photobucket. Since most of my posted pictures are of art I think it makes sense. I'll delete the Photobucket links in my threads and replace the more important ones. #PhotobucketPurge

Edit: I figured out how to embed images from Facebook as well, I might use that instead.

Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on July 09, 2017, 10:32:08 PM
I made a DeviantArt account to replace Photobucket. Since most of my posted pictures are of art I think it makes sense. I'll delete the Photobucket links in my threads and replace the more important ones. #PhotobucketPurge

Edit: I figured out how to embed images from Facebook as well, I might use that instead.

I'd be careful of Facebook, they have a habit of changing urls which breaks embedded images. :)

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 09, 2017, 11:17:03 PM
Quote from: Kayakasaurus on July 09, 2017, 10:32:08 PM

I'd be careful of Facebook, they have a habit of changing urls which breaks embedded images. :)

Oh ok good to know, thanks. I've deleted all the Photobucket images in my art thread. I'll post a few back from a different site.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

stoneage

I can't even get Photobucket to work well enough with all those ads, to really mess with it.  I had 1554 pictures on photobucket.  I still have my pictures elsewhere although some of them may have been lost on an old computer.  Eventually I'll probably take new pictures and post them.

BlueKrono

Yeah, it seems they did pretty much spring it on everyone. The philatelists are mad about it too. I would encourage everyone to delete their account after rescuing their photos to other sites so they can't claim "100 million members" on their website.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/big-lesson-learned-photobuckets-ransom-images-debacle-191026772.html
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ceratopsian

I found it wasn't straightforward to find how to delete my account but I was so furious with them that I persevered. I was somewhat surprised when they then asked me why I wanted to close it!!

DinoLord

I think it would be a good idea to notify members who have posted Photobucket links (as you find them going through old posts) of such posts so they can replace them instead of just leaving the posts blank.

Simon

I second Dr Admin's solidarity call.  I've read elsewhere about various forums considering banning linking to Photobucket as a way to "strike back" against these extortionists.  A policy change like this SHOULD have been announced 3-6 months in advance, but the way they did it is the Internet version of a "sneak attack" (think: Pearl Harbor).

I deleted my PB account within a day of learning what had happened, and encourage everyone who has not already done so to follow through as well.

Bokisaurus

Yikes! >:(
Well, too far my photos are still up. Two years ago, I started paying $30 a year for added storage, perhaps my terms was different then, we shall see when I'm up for renewal this year.
It would be a nightmare to think of saving my photos, there is just waaaayyyy to many of them at this point! ;D
It would be a shame if my photos finally starts to disappear , threads like March of the titans and Thundering herds will be no more.
If they do catch, I guess now is a perfect time to start my own collection thread.
So sorry to see so many photos just vanish!

alexeratops

This is ridiculous. How to make people hate your site 101.

I have officially switched over to PostImage.org, it provides an extremely simple and ad-free solution to posting images. I didn't even have to make an account (there is an option to, but it isn't necessary). I haven't gone over my third party hosting limit on my art thread or anything, so those are still Photobucket, although I will not use it anymore, so those don't need to be saved. Good grief.
like a bantha!

postsaurischian

Quote from: Bokisaurus on July 10, 2017, 06:17:01 PM
It would be a shame if my photos finally starts to disappear , threads like March of the titans and Thundering herds will be no more.

:o Oh Nooooooo :( !

If they do catch, I guess now is a perfect time to start my own collection thread.

:) Oh Yeahhhhhhh :D !

DinoToyForum

Quote from: DinoLord on July 10, 2017, 05:23:03 PM
I think it would be a good idea to notify members who have posted Photobucket links (as you find them going through old posts) of such posts so they can replace them instead of just leaving the posts blank.

I intend to send a bulk notification to all members soon.

DinoToyForum

Yikes! >:(
Well, too far my photos are still up. Two years ago, I started paying $30 a year for added storage, perhaps my terms was different then, we shall see when I'm up for renewal this year.
It would be a nightmare to think of saving my photos, there is just waaaayyyy to many of them at this point! ;D
So sorry to see so many photos just vanish!

It would be disastrous for the forum if all of your photos went missing as well, but please don't pay Photobucket the ransom!

sauroid

does Postimage also store photos like PB?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Mamasaurus

It took me a little while to realize what happened.  All of my more recent pictures I've been copying directly from my own website, so it wasn't until I saw others' threads (and someone quoted a post of mine with older images) that I fully realized what was going on. 

It's deplorable what photo bucket is doing, and I think they'll find they've really shot themselves in the foot here.  Especially if other forums are also banning or discouraging the use of their images.

I'll be deleting my older images as soon as I can Dr. Admin.  I don't have a ton of stuff, but then at least you don't have to go through my threads.

Images copyrite to Mamasaurus

Carnosaur

As many of you have probably noticed by now. Photobucket now requires a subscription fee to share images on other sites.
they are asking un realistic prices in some cases as much as 300 to 500 dollars depending on the amount of usage.
some are even as high as 1,000. so if you know an alternative to using photobucket, feel free to share it here.

suspsy

I've begun a Flickr account. It's working well so far.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

BlueKrono

There are already numerous threads about this topic here on the forum. But I recommend Postimage for ease of use.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

DinoToyForum

Carnosaur

Actually you could have just deleted mine since it was already being addressed here.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.