News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

preferable scale for sculptures (therizinosaurus update 5)

Started by spinosaurus1, July 10, 2017, 11:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

what scale would yo like my smaller line to

1:72
3 (10.3%)
1:40
15 (51.7%)
1:35
6 (20.7%)
1:30
5 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

spinosaurus1

I want to get the members opinions on this. After some time, I have gained a better understanding and have done various sketch commissions with people online. With that noted, I would like to really start selling some sculptures that I plan to make. I was curious about what scale would the members here be interested in. I hear that 1:40 is a popular choice.

In the meantime and completely independent from this, I also plan on doing some larger sculptures. They would roughly be around the scale of Shane Foulkes giganotosaurus.

BlueKrono

I always tended toward larger scale figures, but it seems like 1:40 is the preferred scale around here on the forum just from what I've seen in comments.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

RobinGoodfellow

1:35 for dinos.
1:20 for megafauna.
Between 1:5 - 1:7 for prehistoric invertebrates, fishes, insects, lizards etc...

ceratopsian

On balance I like my models to be 1:40 or 1:35. Bigger gives great visual impact - but space is important.

Newt

I've pondered the same question myself. One thing to consider is price point vs. cost. Most of your cost in making a figure is your labor, and that labor is about the same whether the figure is 1:72 or 1:20 - but you can can't expect customers to pay as much for a 1:72 as they would for a 1:20. So, you might want to consider the price range you'd like to shoot for and then see what scale seems reasonable to charge that much for.

Also, do you have a list of species you wish to make in this scale? What are the largest and smallest animals on the list? That could make a big difference to which scale will work best, especially if you are working traditionally. I certainly wouldn't want to sculpt a 1:72 Compsognathus...

spinosaurus1

thanks for the feedback everyone.

Newt
i agree. this is something i have to plot out and make sense of. indeed, it would be ludicrous of me to think the money i could be making for 1:72 scale would be anything near what can be made for 1:20th ( and i'll shudder at the thought of a 1:72 scale compsognathus), though at the same time, a lot of people seems to be more interested in the smaller scale and those who collect larger models seem to be the minority.that plus the fact that i can build the smaller sculptures at a much faster pace.

with that said, for the larger sculptures, it's pretty much any dinosaur i feel like sculpting. as of now, both tyrannosaurus and giganotosaurus is planned and already have reference drawings made. i would love to make some of the more smaller animals at larger scales as well. just to show off something i did a while ago, heres a 1:15th scale byronosaurus

as for the smaller scale, i actually garnered an interest in creating more representation of more obscured or modest sized dinosaurs. creatures like carnotaurus or therizinosaurus are ones i really want to begin with at a smaller scale. i would also like to do some of the larger sauropods a matching scale. i would like more feedback or votes on the poll on the respective scales everyone would like to see them made in.

Patrx

I've always appreciated models done in a shifting scale depending on the actual size of the animal. The smaller dinosaurs are some of the most interesting, and it can be disappointing to see them done at scales which render them tiny and difficult to observe closely or fit detail into. 1/15 seems to be a good choice for Byronosaurus, that looks really great!

ceratopsian

I don't worry about variable scales for large and small dinosaurs. I'm in agreement that if the beast is a small animal, it's more satisfying to have it in something like 1:10 or 1:20.  I'm more interested really in what the animal is than what scale. I'm always more intrigued by dinosaurs that are rarely made as models - and that often equates to small or medium sized dinosaurs.

Halichoeres

I like big animals in 1:40 or thereabouts, so that's what I chose. But I agree that for smaller animals, larger scales make more sense (that 1:15 Byronosaurus is fantastic, for example).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

AcroSauroTaurus

Now, are these going to be statues or figures? Because I've told you before that you could make some really amazing figures with the talent you have. ;)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Takama

I Been looking for a line of 1:35 Scale Dinosaur that are mass produced that are accurate to boot.

I choose 1:35.

ZoPteryx

I've traditionally preferred 1:40 where feasible, but a lot that stemmed from me wanting them to scale properly with the large number of Carnegie figures I used to have.  I now think anywhere from 1:40-1:35 is a good scale and close enough that I wouldn't hesitate displaying figures of the two on the same shelf.  For small animals I don't have as much of a preference, but I know in the future I will be more inclined toward 1:6 figures to scale with the BotM raptors.  ;)

spinosaurus1

i would like to thank everyone for their votes and comments. a lot of things to take into consideration, but i think i've settled on the scales i want to do.

while the poll is overwhelmingly in favor of 1:40th scale, there is quite a few comments from fellow members who express interest in 1:35th scale. i might just make two separate lines consisting of both 1:40th and 1:35th scale sculptures.

but being that the 1:40th scale won the poll, heres a preview of something i just started. i think it's pretty obvious who it is :)

BlueKrono

We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

Takama

now are these sculptures going to be casted? or are they just going to be one of a kind?

That Plucked Mutant Goose looks good

spinosaurus1

Quote from: Takama on July 14, 2017, 07:07:52 AM
now are these sculptures going to be casted? or are they just going to be one of a kind?

That Plucked Mutant Goose looks good

thats a good question. i've been talking to a lot of paleosculptors  and gathered quite a lot of info about the casting process. my plan is to attempt to cast the therizinosaurus using methods suggested to me. if it doesn't work, then i'll probably resort to just selling one of a kind sculpts until i get a better grasp on molding and casting.

speaking of the terror chicken goose turtle chimeras, the therizinosaurus armature is almost complete. all it needs is the third pair of fingers and some eyes, and then i can start the fun part. with that said, i'm unsure wheather or not to have the third fingers separate, or conjoined to the second digit? i find the thought of therizinosaurs having syndactylous digits interesting

spinosaurus1

as of now, the therizinosaurus has eyes. all thats left are the fingers and then the armature is finished. i decided to conjoin the 2nd and 3rd digits. completely plausible afaik and adds some uniqueness to the sculpture imo

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.