News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaurs in the Wild Dakotaraptor and Tyrannosaurus

Started by Patrx, July 20, 2017, 08:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Dinosaurs in the Wild is an interactive exhibit in the UK featuring CGI, puppetry, and, apparently, close attention to paleontological accuracy. Darren Naish is a consultant for the event, and he posted some images this morning of some unique dinosaur figures which are evidently exclusive to the event - and also, sold-out. It seems it'll be tricky to ever obtain these, particularly for those of us not in the UK, but they're so cool that I thought I'd share them anyway:

EDIT: Evidently, a number of these beauties will be available at TetZooCon on October 21st in London. I, regrettably, couldn't begin to afford such a journey, but perhaps some of you are more fortunate in that regard!

suspsy

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Faelrin

Pretty cool that there's a pretty accurately done Dakotaraptor. Also that Tyrannosaurus looks mega beefy.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Bad news is that Darren reported that the T. rex has trouble standing. As in, it can't stand at all without some form of support. :(
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Roselaar

Oooh, nice! I want these. But I don't like that I'm not likely to get these...

Gwangi

Oh wow, the Dakotaraptor is especially awesome. Doubt I'll ever see it in person. The rex looks like it would fit in well with the old Kenner toys.

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Loon

The rex looks like it would make great pals with the bull, thrasher, and especially the red rex. The dakotaraptor looks fantastic, and would go great next to the awesome, if not inaccurate, jp utahraptor.

Halichoeres

Wow, those are so cool! If any UK members want to try to snag me a Dakotaraptor, I'd be grateful!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 21, 2017, 06:01:27 AM
Wow, those are so cool! If any UK members want to try to snag me a Dakotaraptor, I'd be grateful!

I'm afraid I'll be out of the country at the time of TetZooCon this year.

Silvanusaurus

So these are no longer available at all as part of the Dinosaurs in the Wild event? I'm pretty close to Birmingham, so might arrange a visit, it would have been nice to pick one up in the flesh. With this and the Nottingham exhibition its a pretty good Summer for Dinosaurs in the UK.

Brontozaurus

The rex looks a bit weird but that Dakotaraptor I NEED.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Halichoeres

Quote from: ceratopsian on July 21, 2017, 08:25:27 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 21, 2017, 06:01:27 AM

I'm afraid I'll be out of the country at the time of TetZooCon this year.

Thanks anyway :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Reptilia

This depiction of Tyrannosaurus with a sort of lion's mane looks just ridicolous to me, I hope it won't become the standard representation in the future. Unless fossil evidence will prove it true, of course.

Shonisaurus

The dakotaraptor are seen inside it fits well, but the tyrannosaurus rex is horrible fears fear, it seems drawn out of a Frankenstein movie or the werewolf sincerely.

Neosodon

I'm not really into those type of figures but if I was going to chose one I would definitely go for the Dakotaraptor.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

BlueKrono

Is this the first Dakotaraptor figure ever made?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Roselaar

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 25, 2017, 04:51:46 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on July 25, 2017, 01:38:59 AM

As far as I'm aware!

There's this lovely plush figure, but I'm hesitant to add plushies to the USL. Your thoughts on that?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on July 25, 2017, 08:11:20 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on July 25, 2017, 04:51:46 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on July 25, 2017, 01:38:59 AM

As far as I'm aware!

There's this lovely plush figure, but I'm hesitant to add plushies to the USL. Your thoughts on that?

Oh, I'd forgotten about that one! Adding plushies will make a lot more work for you. TST Advance makes at least two dozen creatures that would either have to be added to or removed from the USL, and I think that they are not the sort of thing that most collectors have in mind when they consult the USL. Moreover, I think the barrier to making a new plush toy is much lower than the barrier to making a new plastic figure, because it doesn't require the machining of a mold. The result may be that plushies will always proliferate more quickly than the sorts of figures that most of us collect and discuss here.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.