News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The 2017 Dinosaur Diorama And Photography Contest - Entries!

Started by Kayakasaurus, August 01, 2017, 01:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

Megalosaurus

Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Hynerpeton

I liked when there was a  poll. Seems unfair now. :(

Yes i know this is not normal contest.
Walking With Monsers:
[about Lystrosaurus] Astonishingly, their vast herds make up more than half of all life on Earth. Never again will a single species do so well.

Walking With Monsters: (Hynerpeton) To avoid injury the males demonstrate their strength  in a strange  push up contest.

ceratopsian

There are some interesting and imaginative shots submitted.  Really hard to choose - perhaps a good thing I'm not a judge!

I couldn't get it down to three, but I especially liked
2 (Narcissus);
3 (Eye of the Storm);
10 (Walk the Earth) and
20 (Life's Greatest Recovery).

Simon

I have to put in a good word for Entry #1.  I really like it.  Its really well done and gives that (false) sense of scale very well.  I also like 2, 7, 9, 12, 18.

My own preference when viewing contest photos always tends towards the photos that look the most like "real" photos, with a "documentary" feel  - ie that give an illusion of scale, depth, and a sense that you are looking at a real animal.  (For the latter effect you usually need muted lighting to some extent, otherwise most toy figures wind up looking like, well, toy figures.  And you need to avoid having grass in your photo because it breaks up the illusion of size.)

But that's just my personal preference.  There are a variety of ways of looking at the submissions - for example, there was a VERY creative photo in last year's contest that depicted a "TRex party", for want of a better term.  Obviously no attempt at illusion of reality there, but it was FUNNY and very well done.

Sigmasaurus

Wow they all look amazing! I think I am not gonna be in the top 3!

Simon

Kayakasaurus - Any update on the status of the judging?  If you could describe the process it would be cool to know - are the judges going to be having a "Skype meeting" to make the decisions, or is it being done in stages?

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Simon on August 14, 2017, 01:36:05 AM
Kayakasaurus - Any update on the status of the judging?  If you could describe the process it would be cool to know - are the judges going to be having a "Skype meeting" to make the decisions, or is it being done in stages?

Sure! We are getting very close to finishing. We are voting one category at a time so they don't compete with each other. This way the votes for say, best overall, don't get divided up between diorama and photography, and votes for best diorama don't get divided between best overall and best diorama.  Once that winner is decided, it's eliminated, and then we vote for the next category with the remaining 27 entries.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Simon

Thanks for the update kayakasaurus!  Sounds like a very smart way to go about it!

Hynerpeton

Walking With Monsers:

Federreptil

Wow, the judging seems this way a very profound process. I have estimated, a panel of judges would be faster than the whole community of the DTF. But I must admit that creating a short list without a defined ranking is much easier. So the standard procedure of the classic DTF diorama poll is a very clever modus operandi. (Belated congratulations Dr Admin for this way).

I think it's a smart idea, to offer the two different categories for build-dioramas and nature-shots this year. Because this eliminates an old discussion in every contest whether both ways are comparable or not. But I wonder how this classification can be transferred to the official contest with a public poll without a very complicated election mode.

By the way, after finishing the judging process I'm very curious about the names of the judges.

Federreptil

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on August 17, 2017, 09:25:55 PM

Sure! We are getting very close to finishing. We are voting one category at a time so they don't compete with each other. This way the votes for say, best overall, don't get divided up between diorama and photography, and votes for best diorama don't get divided between best overall and best diorama.  Once that winner is decided, it's eliminated, and then we vote for the next category with the remaining 27 entries.

Maybe I`m a pest  ::) but 'very close to finishing' is now 12 days ago. Was this only a description for the first round of three? Or are there some holiday issues which attack the judging panel? Kayakasaurus, can you please update the status again? :))

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Federreptil on August 29, 2017, 05:14:03 PM

Maybe I`m a pest  ::) but 'very close to finishing' is now 12 days ago. Was this only a description for the first round of three? Or are there some holiday issues which attack the judging panel? Kayakasaurus, can you please update the status again? :))

Writing the post right now!  :)
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Federreptil

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on August 30, 2017, 01:53:56 AM
Quote from: Federreptil on August 29, 2017, 05:14:03 PM

Writing the post right now!  :)

Thanks a lot! ;D

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.