News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Kaiyodo: New for 2018

Started by Carnosaur, August 09, 2017, 03:36:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on November 23, 2017, 01:17:37 PM
The real question is did we need yet another set of famous dinosaur skeletons.
Kaiyodo has already done plenty of those already, this set in my opinion is not needed.
Glad that Kaiyodo decided to do more prehistorics, disappointed that they decided to do skeletons.
I hope they'll have more offerings, especially on the obscure department. I personally don't care for this set.

Kaiyodo has done a lot of re-releases, or things very, very similar to older models, as of late. Not sure if it's temporary while they develop new stuff, or if they are slowly phasing out animal figures. The extant line in 2017 didn't leave much to be desired, either.

ceratopsian

I am disappointed to see that the new release is skeletons only.  It's been a long wait and I was hoping for some exciting "life" animals.

suchomimus

Hmm so the bottom half are marketed as "natural color". Ok then, I guess I'm glad they didn't split both sets of five and have them released over two years. Let's just give them some time to make newer builds. Like new Spino. Damn an updated Spino skeleton would be so cool.

stargatedalek

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 23, 2017, 01:19:52 PM
Kaiyodo has already done plenty of those already, this set in my opinion is not needed.
Glad that Kaiyodo decided to do more prehistorics, disappointed that they decided to do skeletons.
I hope they'll have more offerings, especially on the obscure department. I personally don't care for this set.

Kaiyodo has done a lot of re-releases, or things very, very similar to older models, as of late. Not sure if it's temporary while they develop new stuff, or if they are slowly phasing out animal figures. The extant line in 2017 didn't leave much to be desired, either.
Perhaps they are trying to shift the focus into the newer Sofubi Toybox line, and I for one am not disappointed if that's the case sine that line has been doing amazingly so far.

Kaiyodo also has a new Kemono Friends tie-in line coming out this spring which is going to be 100% animal themed, so that may also be part of it.

bmathison1972

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 23, 2017, 03:48:36 PM
Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 23, 2017, 01:19:52 PM

Perhaps they are trying to shift the focus into the newer Sofubi Toybox line, and I for one am not disappointed if that's the case sine that line has been doing amazingly so far.

Kaiyodo also has a new Kemono Friends tie-in line coming out this spring which is going to be 100% animal themed, so that may also be part of it.

I am a big fan of the Sofubi Toy Box series too, not only because they are nice, but also they are not ignoring arthropods (two released so far, and two more in 2018).

Roselaar

Not fond of skeletal reconstructions, this set is a pass forme.

Which species is that Sauropod supposed to represent? Tambatitanis or something less obscure?

Takama

Quote from: Roselaar on November 23, 2017, 08:38:52 PM
Not fond of skeletal reconstructions, this set is a pass forme.

Which species is that Sauropod supposed to represent? Tambatitanis or something less obscure?

I think it could be Diplodocus or Apatosaurus

Halichoeres

On one hand, I'm glad they haven't completely stopped making Capsule Q figures. On the other hand, after two years, it's just 5 skeletons? The only way this release could be more boring is if the Diplodocus were an Apatosaurus and the Protoceratops were a Triceratops. Hopefully there'll be some Expo figures sometime in 2018.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stegosauria

The Sauropod is a Diplodocus. Some years before I learned a little Japanese so I could read the Hiragana and Katakana signs with a litle help.

bmathison1972

This Sofubi Toy Box T. rex is due in 2018 as well (unless it was a late 2017 release, in which case sorry if I posted it in the wrong place - but when it was brought to my attention, it was scheduled to be a 2018 release).

stargatedalek

I can only speculate at this point, but there are extinct animals in the Kemono Friends franchise and we don't have a species list for that line yet, so there could also be some in there. Potentially even some USL additions.

terrorchicken

^I looked  up Kemono Friends on google and all I see are chibi anime girls with kemonomimi ears? ??? are they gonna include actual realistic style animals too?

stargatedalek

Quote from: terrorchicken on November 26, 2017, 12:19:34 AM
^I looked  up Kemono Friends on google and all I see are chibi anime girls with kemonomimi ears? ??? are they gonna include actual realistic style animals too?
The figures that were shown were a character paired with the real animal. They only showed Serval, Shoebill, and a Rhinoceros (IIRC white rhinoceros) but they teased a few other sculpts we didn't see in detail.

Given this seems to be an entirely new line, it seems unlikely it would include so few sculpts (though it may not be a one-time event and this may just be the launch set).

paintingdinos

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but for those of you who collect Kaiyodos and are in the US/North America, where do you usually get them?

I know there are plenty of ebay listings, but I'm curious if anyone here has a specific seller they trust.

bmathison1972

Quote from: paintingdinos on November 26, 2017, 02:36:43 AM
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but for those of you who collect Kaiyodos and are in the US/North America, where do you usually get them?

I know there are plenty of ebay listings, but I'm curious if anyone here has a specific seller they trust.

With regards to eBay, for years I worked with jubei88 with great success, he treats his regulars well. However I believe he has relocated to Canada from Hong Kong, so I am not sure how readily he can get figures nowadays. He probably has a lot of older stock to unload however.

Brett on this forum (I think his handle is brettnj) is your best source--he has contacts in Japan and can even buy from the Japanese Yahoo! Auctions (although his regular contact just had a baby and I am not sure if he has a stable substitute yet), but he has another contact who can get all the new releases from Japan.

paintingdinos

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 26, 2017, 05:21:15 AM

With regards to eBay, for years I worked with jubei88 with great success, he treats his regulars well. However I believe he has relocated to Canada from Hong Kong, so I am not sure how readily he can get figures nowadays. He probably has a lot of older stock to unload however.

Brett on this forum (I think his handle is brettnj) is your best source--he has contacts in Japan and can even buy from the Japanese Yahoo! Auctions (although his regular contact just had a baby and I am not sure if he has a stable substitute yet), but he has another contact who can get all the new releases from Japan.

Thanks for the tip! I'm interested in some older figures (I see jubei88 actually has a couple of them listed), so hopefully I'll get lucky  :)

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 25, 2017, 03:05:17 PM
I can only speculate at this point, but there are extinct animals in the Kemono Friends franchise and we don't have a species list for that line yet, so there could also be some in there. Potentially even some USL additions.

I'd never heard of this, but honestly, after looking it up, for me that would fall into the same "so close, and yet so far" category as a bunch of new skeletons. I like Kaiyodo because of their loving renditions of a wide diversity of prehistoric creatures as they might have appeared in life. I'm rarely interested in creatures from franchised properties (like JP, for example) except as a last resort.

As for the Sofubi line, the figures are very nice but at that size I'd really only want sauropods, or maybe the very largest ornithopods and marine reptiles. I'd love to see a titanosaur in the Sofubi line, but I'm not terribly excited about yet another Tyrannosaurus, of which Kaiyodo has by now surely made two dozen.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tyrantqueen

The T. rex looks to be Shinzen's work. Very nice...

John

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 02, 2017, 03:50:08 PM
The T. rex looks to be Shinzen's work. Very nice...
You are absolutely correct on that.It is the work of Shinzen.His name is listed on the little yellow sign set on the shelf next to it in the picture on bmathison1972's post. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Katieraptor

I absolutely need that black Allosaurus skele.
What I love about Allosaurus is that it lived an extremely violent life that was rife with broken bones, cuts, scrapes, infections, sprains, and yet it just kept on truckin.

My Art

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.